Betta Fish Very Sick

Emily123__

Reaction score
Hi there. My betta fish has slowly been getting more lethargic and eating less and less the past few months. Ive had him for almost three years. Here is some information about him:
5 gallon filtered tank
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
30 nitrate
lays at the bottom of tank all day
will only eat if i assist him by holding food in front of his mouth with a dropper
tumor-like bump on head?

He has slowly been getting worse and worse. I assumed it was just him being an old pet store betta, but the bump on his head has just recently shown up. I am hoping that someone can help me figure out if he is indeed sick and not just old, and if there is some kind of treatment to help my betta get better!

Attachments

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Emily123__ said:
Hi there. My betta fish has slowly been getting more lethargic and eating less and less the past few months. Ive had him for almost three years. Here is some information about him:
5 gallon filtered tank
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
30 nitrate
lays at the bottom of tank all day
will only eat if i assist him by holding food in front of his mouth with a dropper
tumor-like bump on head?

He has slowly been getting worse and worse. I assumed it was just him being an old pet store betta, but the bump on his head has just recently shown up. I am hoping that someone can help me figure out if he is indeed sick and not just old, and if there is some kind of treatment to help my betta get better!
If he was getting old, he wouldn't be lethargic, he'd just simply eat less. Is he in a heated tank? Because betta fish are tropical fish, and if they are in cold water, their immune systems are supressed and it adds stress, inviting parasites in. I can't see any ich or other things on him. Is there any other visible signs of a sickness? An old betta is no doubt less active but I don't believe they should be lying on their sides. I bet my dime something isn't right but can't tell what . By the way, bettas can live a long time, like one person had a betta till he/she was seven years of age. In lab conditions, a betta was kept to ten. So I don't think that's the issue here. And don't get me wrong, age could be but I just don't think even a old betta should be lying on its side. I'd do a water change, remove any decor that's sharp but make sure he has a hiding place that won't damage his fins and get a heater if you are able to if you don't have one. Make sure the water is room temperature and slowly pour it in to avoid giving the fish shock. Look for any new signs, like fuzzy things growing on him or white dots etc. If it's not that it could be internal parasites which would be harder to diagnose and treat but it can be done. Anyways, good luck with him and I hope he gets better soon, keep us updated on any new symptoms that may appear .

Emily123__

Reaction score
He is not in a heated tank, but his water remains between 76-80 year round. Do you think the lesions on his head could be hole in head disease? Should i treat with an antiparasitic?

Emily123__ said:
He is not in a heated tank, but his water remains between 76-80 year round. Do you think the lesions on his head could be hole in head disease? Should i treat with an antiparasitic?
@BettaNation

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Emily123__ said:
Usually hole in the head syndrome is caused by poor water quality ( at least for Oscars ) so I'd test the water and also do water changes just to ensure ( even if it's not hole in the head disease) that no bad bacteria will attack it. Also if your tank fluctuates even if it's just 80-76, I'd still get a heater to actually have it maintain a firm 81 or whatever your preference is. It's just changes in temp even if it's not big in your opinion, can stress your fish. I'm not an expert either and I don't want you to treat your betta with meds if you don't have to.

Meant to say hole in the head disease not syndrome

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Emily123__ said:

@BettaNation
All i see in the photo is two nostrils not other holes.

BettaNation said:
If he was getting old, he wouldn't be lethargic, he'd just simply eat less. Is he in a heated tank? Because betta fish are tropical fish, and if they are in cold water, their immune systems are supressed and it adds stress, inviting parasites in. I can't see any ich or other things on him. Is there any other visible signs of a sickness? An old betta is no doubt less active but I don't believe they should be lying on their sides. I bet my dime something isn't right but can't tell what . By the way, bettas can live a long time, like one person had a betta till he/she was seven years of age. In lab conditions, a betta was kept to ten. So I don't think that's the issue here. And don't get me wrong, age could be but I just don't think even a old betta should be lying on its side. I'd do a water change, remove any decor that's sharp but make sure he has a hiding place that won't damage his fins and get a heater if you are able to if you don't have one. Make sure the water is room temperature and slowly pour it in to avoid giving the fish shock. Look for any new signs, like fuzzy things growing on him or white dots etc. If it's not that it could be internal parasites which would be harder to diagnose and treat but it can be done. Anyways, good luck with him and I hope he gets better soon, keep us updated on any new symptoms that may appear .
If hes old and his organs shut down this good cause a slow fluid build up makeing him lethargic... :/

Emily123__

Reaction score
His condition is getting worse. I know medication should always be used as a last resort, but I don't think he has much time left. Is it unwise to treat him with an antibiotic even though I have not diagnosed him?

Raimy101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks like either a tumor starting to form or maybe a cyst to me. I'm not sure how either should be treated and hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom