Help Betta Fish Unknown Illness And Treatment

sidon

Reaction score
Hello, I’m a brand new aquarist and I recently set up my first tank. My betta fish has been experiencing some problems within the last 48 hours and I’ve grown worried.
My tank is a planted 10 gallon with lots of filtration (flow is baffled- doesn’t effect the betta), sand/gravel substrate (sand on top of gravel), set to 78 degrees.
Tankmates include:
-3 young julii corydoras (being moved to a 40 gallon very soon as soon as it is cycled)
-3 ghost shrimp
-1 small mystery snail
- Several Malaysian trumpet snails

The plants are all healthy and growing quickly. All other tankmates appear to be healthy and active.
Tank is completely cycled. I haven’t tested the water in a week (I’m purchasing a master test kit tomorrow) but nothing notable has happened for anything to be too off. But it will be tested very soon. Last it was tested the parameters were perfect. Just did a 25% water change today, I’ve been doing them weekly.

Symptoms (appeared in this order):
-Started sitting at the bottom of the tank when he’s usually a very active betta
-Would hide frequently
-Stress stripes
-When he would swim around, he seemed very erratic, the best way I can describe it is scared. He would bump into things slightly but it didn’t seem to be on purpose, as to rub himself in any way.
-He’s typically a very food motivated fish, a bit of a hog. He still eats a little bit but only what food is close to him. He gets omega one betta pellets and occasional bloodworms. He picks a bit at the algae wafers for the snails and shrimp, but not much.
-He seems to be breathing slightly more heavily than normal. Not enough to be concerning on its own, however. Just an additional observation.

He is being quarantined in a 5 gallon bucket. It’s the only thing I have at the moment for quarantine. Moved the heater in there and set it to 80F as my room stays at 75F and everything in there can handle cooler temps anyway. It has an auto shutoff so no worries there. Added a small amount of stress coat and a clean mug to hide in.

I suspect it may be a very early stage of velvet, from what I’ve read. But I really don’t see much gold dusting on him, anything visible may just be from the flash of my camera/his coloration...
Would it be a good idea to dose him with some Seachem Paraguard anyway? And should I dose a very small amount (1/4 of a a full dose) to the other fish that were exposed to him? I heard it wasn’t good for inverts. Anyone think it sounds like anything specific?
Again, I’m very new to fish keeping, I’m more of a reptile keeper.
Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

Daisytattoo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hesitate to treat unless I know for sure what I’m treating for. With a tank that size and stock, your water parameters can get out of whack really quickly. I would start with testing the water.

sidon

Reaction score
I hesitate to treat unless I know for sure what I’m treating for. With a tank that size and stock, your water parameters can get out of whack really quickly. I would start with testing the water.
Will do. I’m testing them ASAP and staying updated on here if there was nothing crucial, so I can try to figure out the illness.

Toggle Sidebar

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 10 38.5%

Top Bottom