Betta Fish turning White Rapidly, Help!

BlueBetta75

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I went away for a week and had someone take care of my fish. I came back to him looking like this. I assume it is fin rot, and have been using very small amounts of PimaFix and water changes, but it is quickly getting worse. He may be stressed from moving on 8/28 (moved to college, but brought lots of tap water from home so I could slowly get him used to the school's water). Any help is greatly appreciated, I really care about him and am very stressed about him being sick. His tail looks a little ragged too, but seems to be getting better. I can go to a Petco or Petsmart tomorrow morning to buy ANYTHING he needs to get better. I have included 2 photos, one with and one without flash as he is dark and hard to photograph. Thank you so so SO much!!!!!

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons.
How long has the tank been running? Only a month, but I moved the old filter from his old, smaller tank to keep bacteria.
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79F (can be adjusted if needed)
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Betta and one nerite snail.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 1/5th
What do you use to treat your water? Water conditioner.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Test strips and liquid tests too for peace of mind.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 1 mg/l
Nitrate: 10mg/l
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2x a day
How much do you feed your fish? a few pellets each meal
What brand of food do you feed your fish? No longer have bag it came in as I keep it in a little jar, but it has high protein.
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 7 months.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Monday Sept 6th.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Top fin is white, spreading to scales on body.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, water changes and SMALL dose of PimaFix.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Turning white near top fin, it is spreading further down. Rest of body looks slightly duller. Bottom fin getting white streaks too now.

Attachments

• bettanoflash.jpg
    bettanoflash.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 22
  • bettawithflash.jpg
    bettawithflash.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 22

Ouse

Welcome to Fishlore.

1mg/L of nitrite... any concentration of nitrite is toxic, apart from 0mg/L. You’re in a fish-in cycle, however quite some way into it already. You need to do a 50% water change to lower it before it rises further.

Pimafix is an essential oil. It’s not healthy for the betta (or any labyrinth fish) to be breathing in. It’s healing effects are very mild anyway.

Do 50% weekly water changes, as this keeps organic/nitrogenous compounds and the bacterial load lower than tiny 20% weekly water changes.

...and don’t vacuum the substrate.

50% water changes once every two days should be effective. Keeps the water clean, the fish’s immune response kicking and the bacterial load of the water to a minimum.

I can’t see the white discolouring you describe in the pictures. The fish looks like a completely different specimen between pictures.

BlueBetta75

Welcome to Fishlore.

1mg/L of nitrite... any concentration of nitrite is toxic, apart from 0mg/L. You’re in a fish-in cycle, however quite some way into it already. You need to do a 50% water change to lower it before it rises further.

Pimafix is an essential oil. It’s not healthy for the betta (or any labyrinth fish) to be breathing in. It’s healing effects are very mild anyway.

Do 50% weekly water changes, as this keeps organic/nitrogenous compounds and the bacterial load lower than tiny 20% weekly water changes.

...and don’t vacuum the substrate.

50% water changes once every two days should be effective. Keeps the water clean, the fish’s immune response kicking and the bacterial load of the water to a minimum.

I can’t see the white discolouring you describe in the pictures. The fish looks like a completely different specimen between pictures.
Thank you for your time! I just did a 50% water change after posting, and tested it again, and it is 0mg/l thankfully. I think they overfed him a lot as I noticed uneaten food when I got home :(

Good to know pimafix isnt good, already throwing it in the trash! I'll increase my water changes for the next few days, and do 50% weekly ones in the future. I really appreciate your advice.

I have circled the newly white parts of my fish in the better photograph. He looks so different in the photos because of my camera's flash. My camera is poor quality, sorry!

Attachments

• Inkedbettanoflash_LI.jpg
    Inkedbettanoflash_LI.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 15

Ouse

Looks like tissue being eaten away by columnaris, a bacteria present in virtually all FW setups. Healthy fish can fight columnaris bacteria off using their immune response, however stressed fish have a weakened immune system, leaving them more vulnerable to ailments. It’s not too different to catching a cold after a stressful, bad day. The mini-cycle caused by overfeeding could be what’s stressed this guy out.

BlueBetta75

Looks like tissue being eaten away by columnaris, a bacteria present in virtually all FW setups. Healthy fish can fight columnaris bacteria off using their immune response, however stressed fish have a weakened immune system, leaving them more vulnerable to ailments. It’s not too different to catching a cold after a stressful, bad day. The mini-cycle caused by overfeeding could be what’s stressed this guy out.
Thank you SO much. The columnaris page is extremely helpful, and I will follow the advice there. I feel terrible that I didn't catch this sooner. I will be picking up some stuff to treat columnaris tomorrow morning (cant go tonight). Thankfully the stores near me should carry everything needed. (I also met someone in a bio class who has a lovely planted 10g betta tank, and will ask them to feed my fish if I ever go away again!)

Ouse

BTW, the word “columnaris” automatically links to that thread.

If treatment fails, all you can do is euthanise. Don’t feel terrible about yourself because of this.

BlueBetta75

BTW, the word “columnaris” automatically links to that thread.

If treatment fails, all you can do is euthanise. Don’t feel terrible about yourself because of this.
Hello, I hope you don't mind me updating you on my fish. He is doing okay now! The white patch got bigger, but is now smaller and turning blue again. Thanks to your advice, I ordered/bought the medications in time. Thank you so much!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Susibug
Replies
Views