Betta Fish Thrashing In One Corner

Allip6

Reaction score
I have just gotten my little betta boy and he is wonderful, but he seems to be very crazy about one corner and he plays and thrashes there specifically. I am wondering what it would be about this one corner that is having him do this, its my first fishy and his name is Keanu. From one glance it seems like you can see my partners fish from that corner, so I wondered if he saw the other fish but he still thrashes around when the other fish isn't there.He is so beautiful please help , don't know if its a problem or not.

Attachments

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I love him! what do you have outside of the tank at that corner?

OP
Allip6

Allip6

Reaction score
There is just about a foot of empty space on the couch side table it is in our area with spices and pantry things. The other fish tank sits there after that foot gap.

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hmmm. maybe he wants some more spice in his life! lol, joking. if you just got him, he'll probably settle down soon. he might just be stressed out or excited. try checking your water parameters to make sure there's nothing wrong with the water quality like an ammonia spike that's making him distressed.

OP
Allip6

Allip6

Reaction score
What is the best way to check these things?

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you can take a water sample to your local pet store and they'll usually test your tank water for free. the test kits they use aren't always accurate though. you could buy an apI liquid master test kit, which is about $21 on amazon prime (but almost always more expensive at petstores ), but it's more accurate and lasts forever.

I suggest reading up on the nitrogen cycle if you don't know about it! it'll probably save you a lot of grief later on. basically, your tank will eventually (or already) have 3 toxic compounds: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. you need to build up a good bacteria colony that'll help get rid of the ammonia (caused by fish poop and decaying food or plants) and nitrite. that bacteria will make nitrate as a result, which is less toxic to fish, but can be bad in high concentrations. you get rid of nitrates by doing water changes.

a good way to help keep all these levels down is weekly water changes! I suggest at least 50% water changes a week for betta tanks. I try to do 2 water changes a week for mine.

Rylan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If he’s new and if your parameters are ok, I noticed my petco Bettas in particular get super anxious in the first few days if all sides of the aquarium are open. (They keep them in boxed in cubbies at my petco) So sometimes I’ll put a plain piece of white paper on the sides they’re spending all that time in and they stop and explore more of the tank especially if I give them new plants or decorations to fool around with.

Eventually I can take the paper down and they relax, but sometimes it takes a while. Just personally speaking.

Sometimes it helps to get a tank background so they feel less exposed I think.

OP
Allip6

Allip6

Reaction score
Thank you guys! I also ordered some really tiny filters and thermometers from amazon to make sure they can have the best quality. I will probably post again after these things come to see how it goes. But this is a good idea no?

akcarroll12

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Allip6 said:
Thank you guys! I also ordered some really tiny filters and thermometers from amazon to make sure they can have the best quality. I will probably post again after these things come to see how it goes. But this is a good idea no?
What size is the tank and what fish are in there? If your ordering a heater try to get an adjustable one,

OP
Allip6

Allip6

Reaction score
I didn't get a heater because the tank is 3 gallons. I wanted bigger but just don't have space for it. I did a lot of reading and it seems as though many people say that the heaters in small tanks can do a lot of damage because they are more difficult to regulate. So no heater, just little filter and thermometer to be able to add the perfect temp of water when I do water changes. Thank you babiimoore I thought so as well he really stood out to me!!

Rylan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Allip6 said:
I didn't get a heater because the tank is 3 gallons. I wanted bigger but just don't have space for it. I did a lot of reading and it seems as though many people say that the heaters in small tanks can do a lot of damage because they are more difficult to regulate. So no heater, just little filter and thermometer to be able to add the perfect temp of water when I do water changes. Thank you babiimoore I thought so as well he really stood out to me!!
I’ve had heaters in 3 gallons before and theyve always done fine for me. The only I problem I ever was if the heater started under-heating. So I keep a backup around just in case.

In my opinion its much riskier to go without than with. Particularly as we head into winter. Unless you live somewhere tropical. I lost a fish in the winter months because of this very reason.

Since you have a two tanks. What if you got one ten gallon and divided it with a good sturdy divider? Put a heater/filter on each side, if one fails you’d always have a back up and it would probably save space.

OP
Allip6

Allip6

Reaction score
I could see that working actually! Yeah Canada gets cold in the winter for sure haha Thank you ill look into the idea of the tank with dividers!

New Threads