Betta Fish Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by prlopezc, Aug 7, 2015.

1. prlopezcNew MemberMember

Hi, can anyone tell me a good tank for a Betta Fish, which is less than 3 gallons.
    Thanks

2. fishy5Valued MemberMember

I like the aqueon 2.5; but the filter creates quite a strong output. I started a thread about it actually which u can find under the freshwater filter threads. Also the 1 gallon corner tank which you can find on Amazon using the search words "one gallon corner tank". :)

3. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

You really couldn't go for 5 gallons? I say this because a 5 gallon would be much better suited because it can fit a filter and heater(you NEED both) better than a small 3 gal could. And if not, don't pick up a bowl. Buy a tank, but make sure you buy a suitably strong heater and a filter(does not have to be fancy due to small tank size). Also remember, if you change water too much, or if something happens that affects the water parameters at all, it is a very large change due to the fact that the tank is so tiny.

Hope this helps, and I really do recommend a 5 gallon instead, it's not much bigger nor much more expensive.

4. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Good to have you here! :D

The bare minimum for a betta is 2.5g, I would not do the 1 gallon corner tank mentioned above, no offense intended to the OP. Could you do 3 gallons? That would open up your options a lot more.

Here's one that looks decent enough, but I have no experience with:  

5. Tman2902Valued MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!
    I agree with happygolucky, the 5 gallon is the best suggestion to keep the betta happy and health. However as long as you live somewhere worm you could potential skip the heater assuming by your question you are on a budget. Also if you do the 5 gallon tank idea you could have a light which gives you the option of adding live plants to improve the water quality and habitat for your fish. Also don't forget to cycle your aquarium before you buy your betta.

6. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Nope, I have to disagree, please don't skip the heater. The heater will help prevent temperature fluctuations, which can be very stressful for your betta. The heater, along with the filter, is one of the most important things for a betta to have.

Also, I'm keeping mine in a 3g, heated and filtered.

7. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I would select a tank that is around 3-5 gallons instead of 2.5 gallons. This would allow you to have more room for a filter and a heater. Heaters help protect against temperature fluctuations but are not entirely necessary depending on the temperature where you live. However, if you plan on starting your tank without purchasing one, then I highly recommend that you purchase one as soon as possible. As for filtration, any small filter should be more than suitable. Keep up with your water changes and be sure to cycle your new tank before adding your betta. Good luck! :)

8. AllHallowsEve31Valued MemberMember

I have a medium sized critter keeper from petsmart that is about 3 gallons that I use for a quarantine tank, but if 3 gallons is your absolute maximum, I would suggest this.

9. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

If OP went with one of those, they'd have to make sure to purchase a proper filter and heater for it. :)

10. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I would suggest the fluval spec 3 if a 3 gallon is your absolute max. It already has a built in filter and you can pick up a hydor theo heater (25w i believe) that will fit into the back compartment.

I am currently planning on doing a betta tank as well and have settled on the fluval spec v (5 gallon version of the same tank i suggested)

drs foster and smith have a pretty good sale on them going on right now. and as always you can find them on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aquarium-2-6-Gallon-White/dp/B009S8NO26

You will probably have to dampen the output flow as it can be too strong for a betta. But there are a bunch of ways to do that.

11. AndyVEValued MemberMember

My setup
    - Aquatic Nature cocoon no5 : 5.67G (21.5L)- 33x32x26 cm, was around 30€
    - aquatic nature flow 60 HOB (60l/h), was around 25€ if i remeber correctly
    - a light (in my case a 36€ Hi-lumen 30 Led aka beamworks)
    - And a 25W heather (had a fluval from my previous 2.3 gallon tank i found way to small for my Betta)

12. Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

Betta's really need closer to 5g to thrive, but I have 3 of them, each in 1.5g tanks, all with sponge filters and 15w heaters. The tanks are a bit harder to decorate as the surface area is so small, but they still have a decent amount of room to swim in. Betta's actually can grow to a fairly large fish (for a small fish) if put in the proper sized tank, and I expect even in these 1.5's they will become stunted after a while as they are probably a little less than 3/4 the way grown (they are about 2 inches each).

13. AquadisiacNew MemberMember

I personally keep my betta in a 10g. I figure the more room I can offer the better. That tank is their whole world. Regardless I would really recommend at least a 5g for a betta or perhaps consider keeping snails and shrimp instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice