Betta fish tank mates for 5 gallon?

Blueberrina

HI I recently got a 5 gallon tank for my female betta who is really calm and isn't really aggressive. The tank is big for her so I'm getting some plants for her and substrate, but my parents want some tank mates (particularly fish which is the problem since someone has a shellfish allergy and my mother doesn't want snails). My betta hasn't grown at all in 2-3 years so she is a small 1.8 inch long betta. My parents want guppies or maybe tetras but I feel bad since the tank is 5 gallons. What tank mate should I get and how many?

You must be registered to see images

david1978

A 5 gallon is going to be hard to stock around a betta. Micro rasbos might work. Celestial pearl danios? A little different temp but a possibility. Endlers if your looking for livebearers.

Rhishiplarry22

HI there ! I personally wouldn't add tetra's as they need a minimum of ten gallons and need a school of 6 or more to flourish. The same goes with the guppies. I know you mentioned not wanting snails, but I have successfully kept a betta and apple snails together in a 5 gallon tank. Though keep in mind that apple snails might eat any live plants you put in there. I currently have a female Betta living in a ten gallon tank with snails and cory catfish and they get along very well. She doesn't disturb them and they frequently all sleep next to each other which is pretty adorable. Again, a five gallon might be pushing it for cories but you could always give it a go. Also make sure if you do add tank mates that you have a plan B if it doesn't go well. She might be calm on her own, though it can be hard to know how they will react when other fish are added into the tank.

Skink123

HI there ! I personally wouldn't add tetra's as they need a minimum of ten gallons and need a school of 6 or more to flourish. The same goes with the guppies. I know you mentioned not wanting snails, but I have successfully kept a betta and apple snails together in a 5 gallon tank. Though keep in mind that apple snails might eat any live plants you put in there. I currently have a female Betta living in a ten gallon tank with snails and cory catfish and they get along very well. She doesn't disturb them and they frequently all sleep next to each other which is pretty adorable. Again, a five gallon might be pushing it for cories but you could always give it a go. Also make sure if you do add tank mates that you have a plan B if it doesn't go well. She might be calm on her own, though it can be hard to know how they will react when other fish are added into the tank.
You could go with pygmy corys

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Madshot
Replies
Views
DejaVu22
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies