Betta Fish Tank Mate? Question

1. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

My betta Zach likes movement. If something outside his aquarium moves, he's at the glass watching. So I was thinking about (I might not do this, just getting some ideas) a tank mate for him. Something like shrimp or such. Not another fish, please.
    He is in a five gallon tank with black diamond 20/40 grit as substrate, a dwarf chain sword, and two Marimo moss balls. He has a submerged power filter. I plan on getting a java fern, Anubias nana, and a cholla log with Marimo moss grown on it.

2. Summer22 Member Member

You might be able to try a mystery snail (my favorite). I tried to do cherry shrimp with mine in my 10 gallon but he slowly picked them off one at a time. I thought they were okay because I watched them a lot but he would still sporadically kill them. I got a divider and put my Betta on one side and the rest of shrimp on the other. You can always try it out but think ahead what you will do if it doesn't work out... maybe just buy 3 shrimp to test (if they are at a local place for you to buy). If you buy 10 at first you will have several shrimp left over after realizing that it didn't work and then what will you do with rest of shrimp. That is if it doesn't work, it might turn out fine.

3. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

I think shrimp are a great idea! What are your parameters (some shrimp are okay in less hard water, others are not). But you'll need a lot more coverage to keep them safe And only would but like 1-3 to test out his aggression

Snails work as well :)

4. Over It Well Known Member Member

I have always had great luck with Nerite Snails. I have them in all of my Bettas tanks and only had a problem once with a King Betta who literally wanted to kill everything.
    Nerites don't have the antenna that Mystery do and they can't reproduce in fresh water so no worry about snail babies if you don't want them.

5. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

A lot more coverage even with my plans for new plants? Hm. Maybe I could look into more plants. I bet Zach would like that.

I'll test my parameters.
    I have a mystery snail in each of my other two tanks. I love trying out new things in the hobby. c: Plus, if it doesn't work out, I could try putting them in one of my other tanks. Zach has such a tiny mouth compared to my other betta, he can't eat whole pellets. But maybe he will grow. Thanks for the advice! If I do decide on shrimp, I'll start with 3.
    How active are nerites? I've actually been contemplating getting some for my 55 gallon (I've got some algae in there, as the tank is near a window, so I thought it would be good food for them along with algae grown by me in the sun).

6. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I keep my betta in a 5 gallon with amano shrimp, 2 rabbit snails and a pest snail. he used to live with a nerite snail too but I moved it because there wasn't enough algae for it. he likes to watch the snails come out of their shell but never hurts them, he just likes to watch their little faces come out :) He like to share their vegetables too. He completely ignores the shrimp even when they swim right past him.

Amano shrimp are much safer than cherries or crystals because they aren't brightly coloured and are nearly as big as a betta once they're full grown. I started off with one amano to test him and see if he was ok with shrimp.

7. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

You don't have to go crazy on plants; but really bushy ones or moss are a big plus

Nerites are pretty active and have really cool patterning. Mine like to zip around quite a bit.

8. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

For plants, I'm honestly a huge fan of the Marimo moss (my betta Owen loves it). In addition to the two moss balls and a log with the moss, I could get a Marimo moss mat. Water sprite?

9. Over It Well Known Member Member

They are very active. Especially my Horned Nerites. They are always "zooming" around the tank. My Tigers and Zebras are great too. I'm not super fond of my Black Racer, but he does a good job.
    They do an amazing job on algae. The absolute best algae eaters I have found are Nerite Snails, Amano Shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp, with Amano's being last in the list.

I will say I have 5 Amano Shrimp in my 29 gal right now with one of my Bettas and I've had them with 3 other Bettas. They never bothered the Shrimp, although one did kill one of my Platys.

If you do add anything to his tank, take him out, rearrange some things, add whatever it is you are going to add then put him back. Your most likely to be successful that way.

I added 2 African Dwarf Frogs to my other Bettas tank yesterday when I upgraded him from a 5 gal to a 10 and even though I couldn't keep him with other fish, he's doing fine with the frogs and the snails.

I honestly don't like Mystery Snails as I have never found any of them to be good at eating algae and that's why I get snails, I happen like Nerites now though as they are beautiful and entertaining, but I know a lot of people love Mystery Snails.

10. Summer22 Member Member

If you have a low tech tank like me (no fancy plant light/ no CO2 injector ect) then Java moss works great (shrimp fry like to hide in it) and I got some water sprite that they like to climb on.

11. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

I'll look into water sprite, I was looking at that.

Not a huge fan of java moss. I've heard of a moss (I think Phoenix moss) which is similar.

12. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Alright, I think I've decided that I won't get Zach tankmates yet. I might get some nerites for my 55, though.
    I'm still going to go ahead and add the Marimo moss log, Anubias nana, and java fern. Thanks, everyone!