Betta Fish Tail Looks Shredded

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by StarlightSeeker, May 22, 2018.

1. StarlightSeeker

StarlightSeekerNew MemberMember

I'm really worried about the fins on my betta fish. Do they look normal? I've been reading about fin rot, shredded fins, and all sorts of things trying to figure this out.

This is my first ever fish. I'm really trying to do everything right, but it seems like every website I visit says something different about the best environment for Betta Fish.

He's in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter, heater, and thermometer. The water temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The plants are silk and are very soft.

He's been in this particular tank for about 2 weeks. I've had him since Easter, but he was in only a half gallon to start with. I just got him a bigger one. And yes, I know he needs a bigger tank than 2.5 gallons. He was a gift and I'll be getting him one when I can.

If you can please advise me on what a normal betta tail is suppose to look like I'd appreciate it. I'm really worried about the little gu 20180522_223354.jpg y 20180522_223419.jpg y. 20180522_223406.jpg

Attached Files:

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

it does look like a minor case of fin rot. Hopefully with him being in a bigger tank now the water quality will be easier to keep good and stable. I would just keep an eye on him for now and keep your water extra clean (more water changes) and he should improve. If not then it might be time to try something different but for now i would wait.

3. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

it does look like a minor case of fin rot. Hopefully with him being in a bigger tank now the water quality will be easier to keep good and stable. I would just keep an eye on him for now and keep your water extra clean (more water changes) and he should improve. If not then it might be time to try something different but for now i would wait.

4. KakeHugs

KakeHugsWell Known MemberMember

I dont see any fin rot, looks like he just got it caught on something or maybe even biting it.

5. Guppykid101

Guppykid101Well Known MemberMember

I've never had betta fish personally, but I know that as fish fins grow the new growth doesn't have color immediately. This lack of pigment on the tips of the fins could just be from new growth :) keep an eye on it though, and make sure good water quality is maintained.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice