Betta Fish-string from anus?

1. Mimiru Initiate Member

Aright, this is my first post so if I mess it up, I'm very sorry! Anyways, Up until last week, my betta fish has been living in a one gallon fish bowl. He was acting abnormally and his fins were falling off. I decided I was going to get him a 2.5 gallon tank (My mother wouldn't let me have a five gallon because she said it was simply too big for one tiny fish, in other words, she didn't believe went I said that most bettas like 5 gallon tanks). I have been treating him with maracyn (about 1/4 a packet a day). This morning, I noticed a brown string hanging from his anus, and I'm not sure if that's normal or not. He also has a white fuzzy thing on one of his spikes via his top fin, but I think it may have just been a string in the water. Do you think I should still treat with rid-ich+?

Back to the string! I took some pictures this morning, I'll post the below!

Picture 1

Is this normal or should I be worried? I haven't changed his water this week because of the medicine, but it's due for tomorrow. At the moment he has no filter because I had to order a sponge filter (We don't have any stores down here that carry them, and the filters I have tried are far too strong). I feed him "Aquarian Betta Floating Pellet Food" Two pellets a day.

He is the only fish I have, so there are no tank mates. When I checked the nitrite, nitrate, pH levels the other day, they were pretty normal...I'm not sure I have a kit for ammonia. My water changes are 50% at least once a week.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be worried about my friend? Thanks for your help guys!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!!!!

great pic but hard to tell if thats his pooh (funny colored because of the meds) or a live worm..are you able to tell? he actually doesnt look bad at all for living in a 1g bowl...

I wouldnt treat him with rid ich as i dont see ich on him...i bet with routine water changes, add a bit more stress coat+ and maybe some fresh garlic juice into his food, he will be right back to standard beauty soon!

3. Mimiru Initiate Member

Well to help out here's two more pictures! :) My firefox keeps freezing so it's taking me a bit! ^^;

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

I'm worried whatever it is will kill him. When he was in the bowl I did 100% water changes once a week, which is why I'm a bit worried!

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    Congrats on upgrading your boy, he's adorable.
    What are you feeding him? Kinda looks like normal color poo, depending on his diet, but it's hard to tell with the pic.
    Ditto everything Shawnie said.
    How long has it been hanging from him?

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

check it with your eyes on pics and see if its poo or a live worm...still looks like pooh to me also ....

6. Mimiru Initiate Member

It hung on for a few minutes before it fell off, so perhaps it's just me worrying ^^; I'm not quite sure what Betta pooh looks like so~ I wasn't going to take any chances~!

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

;) Now you know. lol I'm glad that's all it turned out to be.
    It's always best ask if you're worried about something.

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:) I'm glad it was just poo. And don't feel silly. The first time I saw my fish poo, I freaked and called my fish guru friend because I though my fish was pooping his innards out. :rolleyes: Glad your betta boy is okay. He's really cool!

9. Robin4 Member Member

Hi Mimiru,

You have a very pretty Betta... :)
    Questions are never stupid. We all don't know everything and the questions and answers from others help us learn!

Welcome to fishlore :)

Robin