Betta Fish Story

1. PraptiPanda

PraptiPanda Valued Member Member

So I went to my lfs today, to pick up a few rabbit snails for my betta tank, and of course I couldn't help looking at the betta section. Well, I was shocked to see what conditions they were being kept in- small packets with about 30ml water, swimming in such filth that I couldn't even see what fish was inside. Just a few days ago, I was on YouTube watching videos about how Petsmart and Petco abuse fish, but their Betta cups are waaayyy bigger than these shipping packets. Since I have a one gallon qt setup, I brought one of the bettas home- I felt really awful leaving them there. We'll, he's now going into the 1g where in a couple weeks, if he's all right, I'll move him into my divided tank. So far, I've found his eyes are pretty weak, he hasn't eaten in over a month, has stress stripes, and is scared to death of me. Well, hopefully he'll perk up in clean water with a good diet. Here's to hoping for a happy ending! *fingers crossed* IMG_20170801_210055.jpg

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

That's awful!!!

I hope the little guy thrives in your care.

3. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

I hope so too! I am a little worried that he doesn't flare, though. Amazingly enough, even after living in such horrible conditions, he doesn't have fin rot and has a great appetite! I'm in love with him already and really, really wish he lives!

4. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

I hope there's a happy ending also! Keep us posted please.

5. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

My betta didn't flare at anything for the longest time. Not his reflection, nothing. The only thing he really flares at is a black t shirt

6. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

really? I've personally never seen a betta that won't flare at a mirror, that's why I thought something was wrong with his eyes... But this one does nip at the snails, so I guess his vision isn't totally impaired.

7. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Young ones don't flare. I have one that's way past juvie stage and he's just now learning to flare. Occasionally you get a late bloomer.

Though in your case I'm inclined to believe it's poor care just because of his past. He'll come around.

8. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

I have a young one also and he doesn't flare at all yet. So @tunafax is right

9. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

UPDATE: he looks so much better now! His brown fins are now a lovely mix of bright red and metallic blue- he's a gorgeous boy :) Moreover, he's built a bubble nest already! I tried to feed him pellets, but he didn't even notice them. But he does like bloodworms, so I'm feeding him only that for now. IMG_20170802_131536.jpg

10. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Looks like you got a good fish! Shame they had him like that.