Betta fish sick, dying, or sad?

Fishy17

Reaction score
I have a male betta fish that I got in late August, and for the past week, he has not been acting normal. He has been lethargic and laying around on the bottom of his tank and on his betta hammock, hardly moving for hours. I know bettas aren't the most active fish, but he has never acted like this before. I have a small heater that keeps the water at about 78 degrees most of the time. I used the betta water dechlorinator and specialty betta food. I have had fish for years, but this is my first betta and I really don't know that much about them. He doesn't show any external signs of sickness or injury. Do bettas get sad or lonely somehow? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What’s the tank size? Is it cycled? What are the water perimeters? (I don’t want to bombard you with questions, just trying to help figure out what’s wrong).

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a few concerns and questions here- first of all your profile states you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. If that's true I highly suggest you immediately read up on that because it is the most important thing when it comes to fish.
Along with LittleBlueGuppy's questions- do you have any pictures of him?

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you don’t know what the nitrogen cycle is then you really need to read this, it’s a very helpful article explaining what it is and how it works. Life in the aquarium is hinged on this process, and an uncycled tank is dangerous to the health of fish.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Betta's for me are quite active they swim fast darting around the tank, they tend to slow down because they are inspecting their tank, chilling out, sleeping or sick. Mine's very agile when I'm cleaning his tank he zooms around avoiding my hand and sometimes peck just to startle me. As for the nitrogen cycle try to research them or you can browse in this site for more advice.

New Threads