Betta Fish Salt Bath Length

1. Slizardo

Slizardo New Member Member

My betta fish Sol has recently got himself hurt somehow, probably on the little barrel I have inside his biorb bowl (4 gallons) so he can swim through, hide, and just have fun. Anyway I was wondering about salt baths, my big sister who had owned two betta's now (the second still alive the first one died, rip Mint~) said that salt baths can help repair things like that. I thought it was only for fin rot and such but she said it can help with torn fins as well. I know everything else about like how much aquarium salt to put in, how long to soak him and what to do after he's done soaking 2-5 minutes, just all that good stuff but I'm not sure how many times I should do it. Is it a daily thing? A weekly thing? Or a one time thing? Sol the betta.jpg

2. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Extra water changes and a consistent temp of 78-80 and he will heal on his own.

3. OP
    OP
    Slizardo

Ok, thank you :)

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Salt baths can help. As long as they are done correctly.

You will need a food safe container. Preferably 0.5-1 gallon. Fill will tank water. Add 1 tablespoon (3 tsp) per gallon of Aquarium Salt. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved. Then place the fish in the container for 5-8 minutes. I would do it once per day for 3-4 days.

Now. You can just add aquarium salt to the tank and not do a bath. The dosage is different. You will add 1 tsp per gallon of water. It doesn't get filtered out or evaporate, the only way to remove it is with water changes.

If you have inverts in the tank, I wouldn't add salt to the tank. I would do the bath instead.

5. r

ravenwing New Member Member

Can aquarium salt be substituted for any type of household salt? I'm just wondering if there are any cheaper/more available alternatives. My fish also needs some and my pet store doesn't have any and I don't want to wait for Amazon.

6. AllieSten

Rock salt can be used. You don't want to use table salt because it has a caking agent in it, that is dangerous for the fish. But rock salt is fine. You can find it at the grocery store pretty easily.

7. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

This is what I use. It's very small grains, easy to dissolve, available at Walmart with canning supplies... It's canning Salt. Any salt is perfectly suitable so long as the ONLY ingredient is SALT. 7eb6d942a242d735047515b478c08806.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    Slizardo

Ok thank you :) I also have another question completely separate from this but it just recently happened. I was out yesterday and whenever I am someone else feeds my pets for me, thing is this is the first time my brother fed my betta, I thought he knew how to only feed him 3 pellets after I even told him and explained why but I guess he wasn't really listening and ended up feeding him more than 3, like 12 apparently because he just took a pinch. Now I'm worried because he has been overly fed, I even saw a few pellets floating around when I got back home. Is there anything I should do? Should I not feed him for a few days or just go on as normal with his feeding schedule today?

9. AllieSten

I wouldn't feed him again today. Skip it and resume feeding tomorrow.

10. OP
    OP
    Slizardo

Ok, thank you :)

11. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

Hi @AllieSten are you able to check out my aquarium salt question? Thanks a lot!
    Betta Fin Rot & Aquarium Salt
    (Sorry to piggy back on this thread)

12. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

My beta did not react well to salt, I wouldn't recommend it. If you do extra water changes and make sure the water is the right temp, he will heal on his own:). Dried indian almond leaves can help too