Betta fish rescuing . What your opinion on tank

TropicalFlow

I’m rescuing sick bettas from the store, then rehabilitating them to good health. I was wondering for the beginning If they were very sick, would it be best to have a shallow long tank? I’ve noticed when I do this that when I have a shallow but long tank ( with a heater and filter) that it’s easier for them to get around. But once they heal up I put them in a smallish but rall tank. I know it’s a bit of stress moving, but I want ur guys opinions . Gl

here’s a image of my shallow and long two gallon tank. It’s 5 inches tall. It’s a bit bigger then it look on camera.
I saved speck, a betta fish from being murdered at the store here’s a picture now that he’s healthy. He will be going to a forever home , on Saturday . In a beautiful 6 gallon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 11

Cue

Sorry to break it to you but you aren’t rescuing bettas, you’re supporting the business of mass-breeding and abusing them.

Now to answer your actual questions: bettas prefer long tanks overall and a shallower tank does make it easier for them to occasionally get air.
I’d also get rid of the little rhinestones, as I have cut myself on them and I am sure they could hurt one if they lay on it.

Rose of Sharon

That's a pretty little betta in that 3rd pic!

You might do a bit better without the substrate at all, since it is basically a hospital tank. Or buy some of those smooth colored glass rocks that are easy to find, if you want something at the bottom. I assume the container is not cycled, which is ok. I would not use plastic plants, either (from your 3rd pic). Those are really good for ripping bettas's fins.

Low and long is very good for bettas!

Hope this helps!

TropicalFlow

yes i was going to get rid of the rhinestone. ok, i will take out gravel. i will put plants for shelter tho.
umm, i might use silk plant. im hoping they wont reck there fins . ive never had a problem with them.
Sorry to break it to you but you aren’t rescuing bettas, you’re supporting the business of mass-breeding and abusing them.

Now to answer your actual questions: bettas prefer long tanks overall and a shallower tank does make it easier for them to occasionally get air.
I’d also get rid of the little rhinestones, as I have cut myself on them and I am sure they could hurt one if they lay on it.
i knew this was a risky post because of people that would say this. But, i talked with the store mangeer. we are working some things out right now.

BigManAquatics

Silk plants should be fine. Never caused issues with my fish. Might have to look around a bit, but they come in a lot of shapes, sizes and colors.

TropicalFlow

I am rehoming my lil dude tomorrow:)

ForBettaorForWorse

Wow, that's so cool that he's already got a home:)
If I may ask, what have you worked out with the manager? I also want to start a betta rescue, but I don't really know where to start...

TropicalFlow

Wow, that's so cool that he's already got a home:)
If I may ask, what have you worked out with the manager? I also want to start a betta rescue, but I don't really know where to start...
I’ve had him for 3 weeks. I have worked out something with the manager . He paid attention to how May bettas were bought in a week. It’s only 12 bettas a week. Then he said instead of bringing in 32 bettas he would only do 14 which I thought was definetly something better. He’s a really nice man! I started by getting a little bit of supplies: ich formula, body sore treatment , stress coat a 2 gallon long and shallow ( 5 ish ) inches tall at least a foot wide . Then I bought a filter and heater. A very low flow filter, and a 20 watt heater.then I bought silk plants . THEN I tried to find one of the saddest looking bettas. I went to the front and told them what I was doing, I asked if I could get a large damage disposit and they took $14 Canadian dollars off my first one. So I got it for 5 bucks. The total cost of everything toghether was around $ 72 dollars.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
peachsonas
Replies
Views
Lacey D
Replies
Views
wolfdog01
Replies
Views