Help Betta Fish Plants

MarioDario

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently bought a couple plants for my betta fish's aquarium and was wondering, are there any deadly plants to bettas? I know plastic plants aren't good for their fins and even silk plants can harm them so I've been getting live ones, plus they help with parameters. The plants I bought are (one of each if that makes a difference) Bacopa Monnieri, Alternanthera Bettzickiana Red, Bucephalandra colored Dark Green, and a Creeping Charlie. I can attach pictures if necessary but then again it can be searched up, but really all I want to know is if any of these could harm him? Do I have to acclimate plants and how? How should I "clean" them just incase of chemicals? Thank you for any replies!

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The only plant I know that can hurt a betta is hornwort, the needles can become stiffer depending on the water conditions. Plants usually don't need to be acclimated and can go directly in the tank after a rinse. Some people do plant dips to get rid of any pests that may come along.

OP
MarioDario

MarioDario

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Repolie said:
The only plant I know that can hurt a betta is hornwort, the needles can become stiffer depending on the water conditions. Plants usually don't need to be acclimated and can go directly in the tank after a rinse. Some people do plant dips to get rid of any pests that may come along.
I was considering hornwort because people say betta and other small fish that may be in your tank can hide and swim in it but then I learned it can get very messy with the needles falling off and then decaying, I didn't know they could possibly hurt them so I am glad I didn't buy one! What exactly is a plant dip?

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
MarioDario said:
I was considering hornwort because people say betta and other small fish that may be in your tank can hide and swim in it but then I learned it can get very messy with the needles falling off and then decaying, I didn't know they could possibly hurt them so I am glad I didn't buy one! What exactly is a plant dip?
It's a solution that plants are dipped or soaked in to get rid of pests. There are various methods of how to do it.

OP
MarioDario

MarioDario

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Repolie said:
It's a solution that plants are dipped or soaked in to get rid of pests. There are various methods of how to do it.
Thanks for your replies, I was just worried one of the plants I'd bought could hurt him, I guess I'll look into a dip possibly but if the plants look okay and rid of pests to me I might just plop them in. Thanks again! :)

New Threads