Betta fish pH

nrp14
Is it safe for betta fish to be in an aquarium with a pH of 6.6 or does it need to be raised?

jkkgron2
nrp14 said:
Is it safe for betta fish to be in an aquarium with a pH of 6.6 or does it need to be raised?
I think it should be ok, it’s pretty low but bettas can adapt to my very high ph (8.2) so I think they’ll adapt to yours
I’m not sure if you’re new to fishkeeping but if you aren’t than you could consider a wild betta? Your pH is perfect for them

Repolie
Bettas are adaptable and as long as it stays consistent, it's perfectly fine.

nrp14
jkkgron2 said:
I think it should be ok, it’s pretty low but bettas can adapt to my very high ph (8.2) so I think they’ll adapt to yours
I’m not sure if you’re new to fishkeeping but if you aren’t than you could consider a wild betta? Your pH is perfect for them
I already have the betta fish I’m just upgrading her to a 10 gallon aquarium I’ve been waiting for the aquarium to cycle and it is finally done and the only thing “wrong” is the lower pH. Thanks!

SilverLake
A slow acclimation period and they should be fine, out of curiosity, what are the levels in the one they're coming out of?

nrp14
SilverLake said:
A slow acclimation period and they should be fine, out of curiosity, what are the levels in the one they're coming out of?
Around 7.4 which is why I’m worried about putting her in there without raising the pH

jkkgron2
nrp14 said:
Around 7.4 which is why I’m worried about putting her in there without raising the pH
Try doing daily 10% water changes for a week Or until you move her to acclimate her to the pH.

SilverLake
Out of curiosity, do you know what could be bringing the PH of the new tank down that far?

nrp14
SilverLake said:
Out of curiosity, do you know what could be bringing the PH of the new tank down that far?
Not really sure. There is so driftwood one there and a lot of plants.

Alwaysbina
nrp14 said:
I try and keep my ph at 7-7.5 but I heard they can adapt to like a 9 or 8 ph

jkkgron2
Alwaysbina said:
I try and keep my ph at 7-7.5 but I heard they can adapt to like a 9 or 8 ph
9 is.. pushing it. Most fish do well as long as they’re somewhere between 6.8 and 8.2. With exceptions for a few soft water fish and then African cichlids. Some wild caught fish may not adapt either.

BettaFishObsessed
Most bettas do well with a pH from 6.0-8.0, however they prefer closer to 7.0 and maybe slightly less, like yours. My tank has a pH of 6.8 and sometimes fluctuates to 6.6 or 7.0 so yours should be fine! As long as you acclimate it very slowly or maybe add a pH lowering treatment to the one the bettas in now, it should be great!

jkkgron2
BettaFishObsessed said:
Most bettas do well with a pH from 6.0-8.0, however they prefer closer to 7.0 and maybe slightly less, like yours. My tank has a pH of 6.8 and sometimes fluctuates to 6.6 or 7.0 so yours should be fine! As long as you acclimate it very slowly or maybe add a pH lowering treatment to the one the bettas in now, it should be great!
Why treatment? That could destabilize the pH and cause it to fluctuate. I agree about the slow acclimation, any difference in pH is important and the fish should be introduced slowly.

ValkyrieLips
SilverLake said:
nrp14 said:
Not really sure. There is so driftwood one there and a lot of plants.
The cycling process might have something to do with it. I've read that the processes that breakdown ammonia can lower pH. You could try doing a big WC on the cycled tank you plan to move him to. In theory if you're using the same water source the parameters should be closer, unless your GH is low and your driftwood (maybe even some decaying plant matter) has further lowered your pH. I'm really not an expert on this topic, so take this all with a grain of salt.

Source:

Latest threads

Top Bottom