Betta fish not finding food

ButtercuptheOranda

This might be a silly post but I got a new betta he’s in my 5 gal and it has some fake Silk plants so there flowy and kind of blocking the surface well he doesn’t know to come up to the surface to get food yet what do I do to I guess to teach him. my other bettas know when I come up that means food time and they come up to The surface.

peachsonas

How long have you had him?

ButtercuptheOranda

How long have you had him?
2 days
I know I should probably give him more time I just feel bad cause he’s been in that awful cup

peachsonas

You could try target feeding him once he gets used to your presence. If you have like a syringe or some tweezers to drop the food in front of/near him, that would work.

FoldedCheese

He might be stressed from being in a new environment so he may not eat for a few more days especially if he is a shy betta.

My betta is shy so I feed him with tongs because he seems less scared of them vs my hand. I feed one piece at a time and he's come to associate the tongs with food and usually comes out of hiding when he sees them. I started with feeding him at whatever level of the tank he was at but now he will swim to the top to take food from the tongs. Might be worth a try. I also tap the tongs twice in the water to get him out of hiding and signal feeding time.

ButtercuptheOranda

You could try target feeding him once he gets used to your presence. If you have like a syringe or some tweezers to drop the food in front of/near him, that would work.
That sounds like a great idea!
I’ll try both things!

Debbie1986

I had a Koi betta that had issues with food. I used to wet her food in garlic juice prior to feeding. The smell made it much easier for her to target the food.

ButtercuptheOranda

Ya just now he happened to be at the top so I sprinkled in a few pellets and he ate them so we’re making progress:)

bettasXD

Ya just now he happened to be at the top so I sprinkled in a few pellets and he ate them so we’re making progress:)
That’s also what I did with my bettas when I just bought them:)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies