Betta fish not eating, PLEASE help!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by MNadon, Jan 6, 2013.

1. MNadonNew MemberMember

I am very worried over my betta, Apollo, who has not been eating for the last two and a half weeks. I've only had him for about 6 weeks and he was purchased as a replacement to another betta who also stopped eating after having been fine for nearly a year and eventually passed away.

I'm not sure what the problem may be. The thing that really worries me is that this is the second fish I've had this problem with and I really just don't know what I could be doing wrong with them.

His environment should be fine - he is in a 5 gallon tank that stays around 76-79 degrees with a heater on, there is a filter and I do regular partial water changes and use water conditioner and aquarium salt for him, he's got several live plans and a betta leaf hammock and a castle and a bridge to hide in. I've tried turning the filter off, I've tried leaving the light off, changing the light color. No changes seem to interest or bother him, he still won't eat.

I have tried nearly everything there is to feed him. When I first got him he was eating a variety of foods but mostly peas, freeze dried blood worms, and pellets. He eventually stopped eating all of those. I've tried frozen blood worm cubes, frozen mosquito larva cubes, frozen brine shrimp cubes, dried mysis shrimp, dried daphina, gold fish flakes, and the three foods he seemed to enjoy eating before (peas, blood worms, and betta pellets). He won't eat anything and in fact pays very little attention at all to food that gets dropped into the tank. That's really weird for a betta, of course, and this one in particular used to jump for food when I would go to feed him, so him not reacting at all really makes me sad and worried. The one thing I haven't tried is live food. I can't seem to find any stores where I can purchase live food so I am currently growing my own brine shrimp (sea monkeys) which just hatched 3 days ago to try those with him once they're a little bigger.

Physically, the fish appears to be fine. He swims around quite a lot and is very active. He does not have any of the physical symptoms of any disease, infections, etc, that I know of. No fin rot or ick or anything like that, I've read and read about all the health issues with bettas just to see if maybe something's wrong with him but nothing seems to match what appears to be a relatively healthy fish that has no appetite at all.

If anyone has any ideas, explanations, theories, etc., I would love to hear them. I figured the last betta that stopped eating had just gotten old (I had bought him from walmart, he was obviously full grown when I got him and I have no idea how long he'd sat on one of their shelves). I suppose that might be the case with this one as he was full grown already, too. I got him from petsmart (he's a veil tale) and a lot of the other bettas they had were clearly still young since they were very small, but he wasn't. I just want him to be happy so please help if you can.

2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I would check the parameters in his tank. Is it cycled? Grab an API Master liquid test kit and check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. While you're waiting to do that, I would do a 50% water change (or 25% one day and 25% the next, if you haven't done it in a while.) Second, stop using the salt. Bettas are sensitive to it.

What brand of pellet was he on?
    Have you seen him go lately? He may have gotten constipated. If he won't eat peas to straighten himself out, and you think maybe that's the issue, you can try an epsom salt bath. I think the ratio's about a teaspoon per gallon. Not sure on that, though.

3. OP
    OP
    M

MNadonNew MemberMember

I've changed his water and checked the parameters. Nitrite and nitrate levels were fine but the ph was a little higher than he might like (7.8) so I added a very small amount of API ph down and brought it down to about 7.1 after I did the water change (he was in his little cup while I vacuumed the gravel for the water change). I am acclimating him to the water slowly now and hoping maybe that does the trick. The ammonia level was also a bit high (0.25 ppm) and I'm pretty sure that's because I 1) have a filter smaller than what should be in the tank because the water flow is adjustable and therefore seems to bother the fish less and 2) it was time to do the water change. I added some ammo-chips into the filter media and changed the water and the level is at 0 now.

I have not seen him go at all. Granted, I'm not home a lot. Usually only mornings and late evenings. I've been reluctant to try epsom salt baths since I'm not sure if that's the problem. I suppose I will try it if dropping the ph and ammonia doesn't help at all.

4. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

Never use chemicals to altar pH. Your pH 7.8 is fine for him. I would try doing extra water changes. Soak his food in garlic, fresh or seachem garlic guard. Garlic is good for fish and maybe it will entice him to eat it.

Are u taking uneaten food out?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice