Question Betta Fish Losing Color In Fins

vdibbern

Reaction score
I bought my male betta fish a few months ago and he has a great tank, filter and colored lights. I noticed he is losing color in his fins and I have no idea why! I change his water and put the conditioner in there. Any advice is welcome, please help!
IMG_3106.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Research symptoms of diseases or stress and see if any match. When I bought my betta he only gained color. Either weird mutation or disease (or stress). How often do you change water, what filter, and how high quality is the food? Food could be another major contributor.

Also what conditioner and did you cycle it?

OP
V

vdibbern

Reaction score
Finatic005 said:
Research symptoms of diseases or stress and see if any match. When I bought my betta he only gained color. Either weird mutation or disease (or stress). How often do you change water, what filter, and how high quality is the food? Food could be another major contributor.

It is so sad. I change his water every other weekend. I bought the betta food and conditioner that was recommended from pets mart. I can’t think of the names right now.

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
vdibbern said:
It is so sad. I change his water every other weekend. I bought the betta food and conditioner that was recommended from pets mart. I can’t think of the names right now.
Change every week

Finatic005 said:
Change every week
Also petsmart has terrible info. Do you really wanna take advice from some guy with half his fish dead at petsmart? I’d use Omega brand and HikarI Bloodworms

vdibbern said:
One more thing, use Seachem Prime. I do one drop per gallon, with one extra drop at the end to make sure. Works great

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OP
V

vdibbern

Reaction score
I’m going to the store now to buy him bloodworms and I’ll change his water when I get home! I will also update you guys in the water treatments and pellets I’m using. Thanks everyone!!

OP
V

vdibbern

Reaction score
The_fishy said:
It looks like he has fin rot with a secondary fungal infection. I would recommend daily 50% water changes. If it persists, you can try aquarium salt dips (1 tablespoon per gallon in separate container, dip for 8-15 minutes) or Kanaplex.

How long has your tank been set up? What size is it? Do you know your current water parameters? (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
It’s been set up for a few months now and it’s a 5 gallon. I don’t know the water parameters .

New Threads