Betta fish keeps on swimming up filter

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have my Betta in a 2.5 gallon heated tank and today I went to feed him and found him on the filter, it looks like he swam up the current and when I lifted the lid to see he was able to swim back into the water but if he got further I'm worried he might not be able to get back again, is there a reason he's doing this? I attached a picture of the filter, he swam up the part that's like a black ramp for the excess water

Attachments

Best Answer - View julifhy's answer

Pebbles730

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gr198868 said:
I have my Betta in a 2.5 gallon heated tank and today I went to feed him and found him on the filter, it looks like he swam up the current and when I lifted the lid to see he was able to swim back into the water but if he got further I'm worried he might not be able to get back again, is there a reason he's doing this? I attached a picture of the filter, he swam up the part that's like a black ramp for the excess water
My fish loved to go behind the filter and play around so your betta should be fine!

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pebbles730 said:
My fish loved to go behind the filter and play around so your betta should be fine!
Well he's not swimming behind it he's swimming up the water flow and basically out of the tank resting on top of the filter

Pebbles730

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pebbles730 said:
I re-read ur post and I have a question is he going up the filter where the current is or behind?!

I see, do you have a baffle?

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pebbles730 said:
I re-read ur post and I have a question is he going up the filter where the current is or behind?!
He is going up the filter where the current js

Pebbles730 said:
I see, do you have a baffle?
Sorry I don't know what that is

Pebbles730

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gr198868 said:
Sorry I don't know what that is
A baffle can be a plastic water bottle cut up, it protect the current from being too strong making it curve off the plastic your fish won't be able to get up in the filter if you have one..

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pebbles730 said:
A baffle can be a plastic water bottle cut up, it protect the current from being too strong making it curve off the plastic your fish won't be able to get up in the filter if you have one..
Oh I see, I'll try that out. Thank you!

Pebbles730

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gr198868 said:
Oh I see, I'll try that out. Thank you!
No problem, u would recommend looking up a vid on YouTube on how to make one!

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with trying to baffle the filter. I also have a water bottle on my filter because the flow was too strong. You could also try using a sponge. As long as the entrance he's getting into is covered, it should be fine.

New Threads