Betta fish keeps on swimming up filter

Gr198868

Active Member
Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
6
Experience
1 year
I have my Betta in a 2.5 gallon heated tank and today I went to feed him and found him on the filter, it looks like he swam up the current and when I lifted the lid to see he was able to swim back into the water but if he got further I'm worried he might not be able to get back again, is there a reason he's doing this? I attached a picture of the filter, he swam up the part that's like a black ramp for the excess water
 

Attachments

Best Answer - View julifhy's answer

Pebbles730

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
26
Experience
1 year
Gr198868 said:
I have my Betta in a 2.5 gallon heated tank and today I went to feed him and found him on the filter, it looks like he swam up the current and when I lifted the lid to see he was able to swim back into the water but if he got further I'm worried he might not be able to get back again, is there a reason he's doing this? I attached a picture of the filter, he swam up the part that's like a black ramp for the excess water
My fish loved to go behind the filter and play around so your betta should be fine!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Active Member
Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
6
Experience
1 year
Pebbles730 said:
My fish loved to go behind the filter and play around so your betta should be fine!
Well he's not swimming behind it he's swimming up the water flow and basically out of the tank resting on top of the filter
 

Pebbles730

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
26
Experience
1 year
Pebbles730 said:
My fish loved to go behind the filter and play around so your betta should be fine!
I re-read ur post and I have a question is he going up the filter where the current is or behind?!

I see, do you have a baffle?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Active Member
Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
6
Experience
1 year
Pebbles730 said:
I re-read ur post and I have a question is he going up the filter where the current is or behind?!
He is going up the filter where the current js

Pebbles730 said:
I see, do you have a baffle?
Sorry I don't know what that is
 

Pebbles730

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
26
Experience
1 year
Gr198868 said:
Sorry I don't know what that is
A baffle can be a plastic water bottle cut up, it protect the current from being too strong making it curve off the plastic your fish won't be able to get up in the filter if you have one..
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Active Member
Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
6
Experience
1 year
Pebbles730 said:
A baffle can be a plastic water bottle cut up, it protect the current from being too strong making it curve off the plastic your fish won't be able to get up in the filter if you have one..
Oh I see, I'll try that out. Thank you!
 

Pebbles730

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
26
Experience
1 year
Gr198868 said:
Oh I see, I'll try that out. Thank you!
No problem, u would recommend looking up a vid on YouTube on how to make one!
 

julifhy

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,374
Reaction score
1,900
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
I agree with trying to baffle the filter. I also have a water bottle on my filter because the flow was too strong. You could also try using a sponge. As long as the entrance he's getting into is covered, it should be fine.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
231
Guests online
3,218
Total visitors
3,449

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom