Betta fish jumped out of tank, in bad shape

1. C

Coolbeans5 New Member Member

Help: Betta fish wounded from jumping out of tank

I have a king male, and he is a big guy and has been building his bubble nest. He had been super energetic the night before. I ordered a new tank lid because the one I have has a hole in the back and I was concerned he could jump out. We'll that's exactly what happened. I found him on the floor and I freaked out. I grabbed him and ran to the sink because he was coated in cat hair from the carpet. I figured he was probably dead, but after running him under luke warm water trying to gently get the hair off him he began to come back. He then came right back to life and I ran and got him back in his tank. The problem is that he is still covered in hair, and it's stuck on his slime coat. His eyes are frosted over, and his once silver scales are black. The only thing I can think of doing is running to a pet store and getting slime coat. Is there anything else I can do? He is swimming, but in bad shape. I honestly don't think he is gonna make it. Should I get slime coat? Or betta fix?

UPDATE: I went to petco, and an employee suggested microbe lift artemiss to help repell any bacteria from his wounds and to heal his scales. it says to put 1ml per day for 10 days. It's been a couple hours and the cat hair is one, and his eyes are better. I put a bubbler in his tank because he is laying at the bottom. The only thing I'm worried about is the damage on his body. He has several wounds and his scales are in bad shape. Any other recommendations of things I could do?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think keeping the water extra clean is what will help him the most. I would do a couple of good water changes a week until he heals. Hope he gets better!

3. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks! I just did one before I put the medication in, because it felt like it would be a good idea, just to make sure the water is good for him. Thanks for replying! It's been a stressful morning to say the least lol

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Glad you got to him in time to save him!

5. OP
    OP
    C

Me too! It's interesting because I got no sleep, and woke up earlier than normal, I think my intuition must have kicked in. I thought for sure he was dead, hence why I ran to the sink, I had no hope. I got really lucky!

6. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Please don't use bettafix, it contains melaleuca oil which causes the labyrinth organ to expand, suffocating the fish. Clean water should be all you need, bettas are hardy little dudes. I wouldn't have put any medications in, they can cause a lot of stress. Clean water should do the trick.
    I'm glad he's still alive!

7. OP
    OP
    C

Yea, I didn't get bettafix, I haven't heard great things about it. My main concern is how damaged his scales are. He has red open wounds all over. I got The Microbe lift by Artemiss. I just tried to find the ingredients online but they are not listed. I already added some to his tank. do you have any experience using it, or know if that is safe? If not I'll stick to water changes.

8. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I would be extremely cautious of microbe lift. Since it is "Herbal" there is a high chance it could contain melaleuca oil, especially since the company has not released it's ingredients. I would see if just clean water helps. It does in most cases. Give it a couple days and if that doesn't work, come and ask here before going to your LFS.

9. OP
    OP
    C

Will do! I always use caution in Pet stores, I always hear bad advice, and thank you so much, all the info is really appreciated. :)

So here is a picture of him. He has been perking up quite a bit, but he is looking rough. Poor guy :(
    . fish.jpg

10. Aquaphobia

The SDS for Artemiss only admits to containing Sodium hydroxymethanosulfonate, which is a water conditioner along the same lines as Prime.

He looks rough, but not terrible! Keep doing water changes and give him the best chance to heal x

11. FreshFishes

FreshFishes Valued Member Member

How is he?

12. OP
    OP
    C

Hi! so, he is doing amazing. He is right back to his normal self. For a while I didn't think he would make it, but I got very lucky :) His scales are almost healed, except one patch that is still healing. He is one resilient fishy!

13. Aquaphobia

You must take very good care of his water:)