Betta fish is twitching jerking around floating

fishlife9

Hello i have had my betta fish since february, he was a very happy fish always made bubbles, i would give him a water change every 2 weeks.
He is in a 10 gallon with a 78 temp heater.
Something happened out of nowhere last week and his water change was changed a week before that he started to twitch jerking his head around run into things, sometimes laying on the heater.
He sinks to the bottom or can stay up top without moving but can’t swim its like his back sags...
I put melafix but after doing research heard it was not good for bettas, i quickly did a water change and added primer like i usually do and wondered if i should put stress coat so i did that also. he looked the same.
i went bettafix put some of that but don’t think that will help him..so i got general cure and put a dose of that without the sponge in the filter..waited 48 hours did that again.
it says to do a 25% water change and repeat.
today is the day i do that water change..when i do this should i put primer or stress coat or betta water conditioner which i just got.
please help..don’t know if i need to put him in a epsom salt bath..too scared. maybe i should go out and get aquarium salt also
please help my baby is in pain this came out of nowhere

jkkgron2

Welcome to fishlore! First off, I would do a 75% water change. General cure is for parasites, and bettafix is just a watered down version of melafix. Both those meds probably won’t help him. It sounds like a swim bladder issue. I would try getting frozen daphnia and feed him that.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Welcome to fishlore! So the first question I need to ask you is did you cycle your tank before adding your betta? Also can you fill out the emergency template please

Upvote 0

fishlife9

Welcome to fishlore! First off, I would do a 75% water change. General cure is for parasites, and bettafix is just a watered down version of melafix. Both those meds probably won’t help him. It sounds like a swim bladder issue. I would try getting frozen daphnia and feed him that.
thank you glad i found this website. so you think i should do a 75% water change and then add the general cure in it? should i put the new betta api water conditioner in it or primer or stresscoat. i will try getting a frozen daphnia..

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

thank you glad i found this website. so you think i should do a 75% water change and then add the general cure in it? should i put the new betta api water conditioner in it or primer or stresscoat. i will try getting a frozen daphnia..
I think you should do a 75% water change and then don’t add any general cure. I would use seachem prime for the water conditioner if you can, because it also detoxifies ammonia. A swim bladder issue can’t really be fixed by any of the meds you have, and adding in more (even general cure) could make him worse.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I think you should do a 75% water change and then don’t add any general cure. I would use seachem prime for the water conditioner if you can, because it also detoxifies ammonia. A swim bladder issue can’t really be fixed by any of the meds you have, and adding in more (even general cure) could make him worse.
75% is quite reckless and even in this situation, I don't recommend it. That's about 3/4 of the water. 50 % is more suitable.

fishlife9 , can you fill out the Fish Emergency Template please?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

75% is quite reckless and even in this situation, I don't recommend it. That's about 3/4 of the water. 50 % is more suitable.

fishlife9 , can you fill out the emergency template please?
Why? The reason I suggested 75% is because of the meds in the water. IMO It’s best to remove the general cure from the water to prevent any more stress from it being in the water. Normally 50% is best, but because there are meds in the water doing a large water change might be better.

Upvote 0

Bettamay

Things I know that can cause twitching - high ammonia levels, high chlorine levels, bad pH, velvet and ich.

Ammonia levels - test water
High chlorine levels - what water conditioner do you use?
Bad pH - test water
Velvet - look for gold/copper rust on scales and rubbing (Hard to spot at first glance, look at it with different light levels)
Ich - white dots on scales

Emergency Template Please

Pictures

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Why? The reason I suggested 75% is because of the meds in the water. IMO It’s best to remove the general cure from the water to prevent any more stress from it being in the water. Normally 50% is best, but because there are meds in the water doing a large water change might be better.
You can gradually remove them every 2 days change out 50% of the water instead of just changing out 3/4 of the water at once.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

You can gradually remove them every 2 days change out 50% of the water instead of just changing out 3/4 of the water at once.
Personally I think removing the medicine quicker is better, but that way could work too.

Upvote 0

fishlife9

Hello my betta was doing great for months until out no where started twitching and shaking can’t swim like he use to like his back side sags. His color is still bright and no sign of skin rot. im thinking he might have ick or velvet from my previous post on here a couple people saying that. I gave him a General Cure 2 days apart which is 1 dose. I stopped that today and then did a 50% water change and added primer. Should I use copper aid from petsmart to help fight off ick or velvet if there could be a possibility?

Upvote 0

Demeter

Can you post some photos? Also we'll need more info about the setup (temp, tank size, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, tank mates etc).

Upvote 0

fishlife9

he is in a 10 gallon by himself, heater is automatically set to 78..i got it new the other day but should of gotten one that i can set it up to any temp. and i don’t know my levels right now my apologies...
Can you post some photos? Also we'll need more info about the setup (temp, tank size, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, tank mates etc).

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Hi fishlife9 can you fil this out------ Emergency template

Upvote 0

FishFor2018

he is in a 10 gallon by himself, heater is automatically set to 78..i got it new the other day but should of gotten one that i can set it up to any temp. and i don’t know my levels right now my apologies...
Filling out that emergency forum that BettasAreSuperior mentioned will help figure out what is wrong with him, however in that picture he looks bloated so I would fast him for 2-3 days and then if he is still bloated give him some frozen daphnia

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Filling out that emergency forum that BettasAreSuperior mentioned will help figure out what is wrong with him, however in that picture he looks bloated so I would fast him for 2-3 days and then if he is still bloated give him some frozen daphnia
Agreed, the frozen daphnia will help and ease his bloating. Try feeding him some frozen daphnia and then fast him for 2 full days. That should clear up his bloating.

Upvote 0

FishFor2018

can i use “Zoo Med Betta Dial-A-Treat Fish Treat Feeder” from petsmart? it has Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Freeze Dried Mysis, Freeze Dried Daphnia
Not sure if that would still help but petsmart usually carries frozen daphnia

Upvote 0

Galactica555

I had a betta do something like this awhile back,might have been slightly different situation as he had no bloating. Did a water change, and lowered water flow,gave him spots to rest near water surface, seemed he was twitchy from exsaughstion. I would feed daphnia for the bloating, not sure if the movement issue is the same as what mine was though

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

can i use “Zoo Med Betta Dial-A-Treat Fish Treat Feeder” from petsmart? it has Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Freeze Dried Mysis, Freeze Dried Daphnia
Freeze-dried daphnia won't help, frozen daphnia will help. Freeze-dried won't have an effect.

Upvote 0

fishlife9

i read that it is the same just have to soak it before. don’t think he is bloated he is flashing jerking his head twitching his head running into things and hanging out at the bottom or just floating up top on his bed.don’t know if this is a parasite.. wish i could post a video

Upvote 0

FishFor2018

i read that it is the same just have to soak it before. don’t think he is bloated he is flashing jerking his head twitching his head running into things and hanging out at the bottom or just floating up top on his bed.don’t know if this is a parasite.. wish i could post a video
Could you please fill out the emergency template? We would have more info about your fish and we can help you a lot easier

Upvote 0

fishlife9

I posted before about my betta out of nowhere starting twitch, jerk his head. Spasm, whatever you want to call it. He will be floating around fine but then he starts to twitch sometime making his whole body jerk, almost crashing into things. I measured my water levels nitrate being 0, no2 being 0-1 and ph 6.5. I really don’t think the water is the issue..I took this picture of him and it looks like he has a white speck. He still lays on his leaf bed and will go in his floating log..but then he tries to swim he jerks his head.
Thank you for reading this hopefully you can help

Upvote 0

Fisch

Beautiful Betta! I don't see any ich, but I leave that to the more experienced members to diagnose.
When you state that your Nitrates are 0 and your Nitrites are 0-1, this would indicate to me that the tank may not be cycled.
Do you have an opportunity to get the Ammonia measured?
Do you use a water conditioner (like Prime) when you do water changes?
How often do you change water?
That probably would be my first line of defense....change the water more often as it provides pristine water conditions (at least twice a week) and keeps your parameters at a non toxic level.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The spot by his lip? Could be an ich spot, can't really tell for sure.

Upvote 0

fishlife9

Yes you are right it could be because my tank is not cycled properly.
Beautiful Betta! I don't see any ich, but I leave that to the more experienced members to diagnose.
When you state that your Nitrates are 0 and your Nitrites are 0-1, this would indicate to me that the tank may not be cycled.
Do you have an opportunity to get the Ammonia measured?
Do you use a water conditioner (like Prime) when you do water changes?
How often do you change water?
That probably would be my first line of defense....change the water more often as it provides pristine water conditions (at least twice a week) and keeps your parameters at a non toxic level.

Upvote 0

fishlife9

My betta has been twitching lately and am wondering if it is if because of possibly fin rot?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Don't really see rot yet but i would start doing 3 water changes a week for the next 2-3 weeks just in case. 25-30% each time. "When in doubt, change it out"

Upvote 0

fishlife9

Does this look like fin and tail rot please help i thought it was just algae
thank you

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Do you mean on the bottom fin?

Upvote 0

fishlife9

Do you mean on the bottom fin?
yes it looks like fuzz dangling, i wonder if its something just stuck

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Oh, I see. Yes, it looks a bit like rot if it's originating from the fish. However, do you have any bigger snails like mystery snails? I looks similar to their poop, and if your betta cherishes snails like mine does, it's a good possibility that could also be it.

Upvote 0

fishlife9

Oh, I see. Yes, it looks a bit like rot if it's originating from the fish. However, do you have any bigger snails like mystery snails? I looks similar to their poop, and if your betta cherishes snails like mine does, it's a good possibility that could also be it.
Wow I do have a snail infestion and sometimes see my betta eating them..

Upvote 0

Rmasonvt88

Does this photo of my lemon Oscar look like it has fin rot?

Upvote 0

betta06

is it part of his fin? just to be safe I would treat with aquarium salt, my black orchid crown tail got this and i thought it was agie as he has a bare bottom tank then few days later it turned to fin rot

Upvote 0

Rmasonvt88

is it part of his fin? just to be safe I would treat with aquarium salt, my black orchid crown tail got this and i thought it was agie as he has a bare bottom tank then few days later it turned to fin rot

I’m not sure I haven’t noticed it until yesterday. Does fin rot usually affect all fins?Because the rest of its fins look fine.

Upvote 0

betta06

for me it it started on one or two fins then it spread. try watching him until tomorrow if it is still there then i would try aquarium salt

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views