Betta Fish Is Turning White From The Body Outwards

ash1999
I have had my betta fish Marbles for around 2 months now, in a 10 gallon cycled tank (set up around November) with a heater set at 80. In the last week, I noticed pinholes in the dorsal fin, and he has been turning a white-ish color starting at the base of his dorsal fin, which is spreading down his body and on his other fins in patches. There is also a bit of fin rot on his tail and dorsal fin. I tried a salt treatment, and did not see any improvement, and have currently just finished dosing with API erythromycin, and his condition has not improved, and the discoloration is still spreading. The water parameters are ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrates: 10-20ppm, and the pH is about 7.2. He shares his 10 gallons with 3 mystery snails and a tiny nerite snail. I do water changes every week.

What am I doing wrong?? What treatment should I try next? He is a very fiesty little crowntail and he just recently began to learn how to flare his gills, and I want to do everything I can to save him. I currently have API erythromycin, tetra lifeguard, and apI furan-2 is coming in the mail in 2 days.

The photos attached are Marbles 2 1/2 weeks ago and Marbles today.

Attachments

• IMG_7709.jpeg
    IMG_7709.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_8059.jpg
    IMG_8059.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 288
Sarah73
Nothing bad. Just genes. Some betas turn different colors over there life.

ash1999
Nothing bad. Just genes. Some betas turn different colors over there life.
While I wish that was the case, I don't think that this is just marbling, as his fins are becoming thin and frail, and pieces are tearing. He definitely has some fin rot, I just want to know the best way to go about treating this. This same thing happened to my previous betta, and he didn't survive it.

Sarah73
While I wish that was the case, I don't think that this is just marbling, as his fins are becoming thin and frail, and pieces are tearing. He definitely has some fin rot, I just want to know the best way to go about treating this. This same thing happened to my previous betta, and he didn't survive it.
Oh I didn't know his fins were falling off. Sounds like fin rot.

LunaSky
I have to be honest. The photo doesn’t do the issue justice. I agree with the marbling. And he’s a crown tail so it’s hard to see where the fin rot is.

Sarah73
I have to be honest. The photo doesn’t do the issue justice. I agree with the marbling. And he’s a crown tail so it’s hard to see where the fin rot is.
Exactly. Hmm

FishFor2018
This is risky but I think it’s the best choice, take out ALL the water all the decor and all the gravel rinse/wash it thoroughly and add them all back in as if you were adding new fish to a new tank. This is to get rid of any and all parasites in the tank. Then after they get settled in add aquarium salt ASAP and maybe some fin and body cure, here is a link to some
I don’t see anything abnormal in the pictures but you are the owner and you can see him in person and noticed changes better then I can. If you really think something is wrong then follow instructions above. Warning: This can kill your Betta from shock although they are hardy fish so just be careful.

ash1999
Here, I have some photos that can give you a better idea of the problem. In the first picture, taken about 2 weeks ago, you can see the dorsal fin webbing is much fuller and longer than it is now.

Attachments

• IMG_8062.jpg
    IMG_8062.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_7995.jpeg
    IMG_7995.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 193
Goldiemom
He is definitely sick. Gypsy13 can you help? He has turned from a vibrant blue, white, and red to a dingy Brown, which is moving into his blue (losing the blue) and red is more oxblood now. Has dulled considerably!

FishFor2018
Are those the same betta’s? They look completely different. If that’s the same Betta I don’t think that’s normal

Goldiemom
Here, I have some photos that can give you a better idea of the problem. In the first picture, taken about 2 weeks ago, you can see the dorsal fin webbing is much fuller and longer than it is now.
Gonna call in a knowledgeable member in disease. Hope she can help you. Good luck!

ash1999
Are those the same betta’s? They look completely different. If that’s the same Betta I don’t think that’s normal
Yes, it's the same guy, just 2 weeks difference. Nothing has changed in the tank either, so I have absolutely no idea what happened :/

Gonna call in a knowledgeable member in disease. Hope she can help you. Good luck!

Thank you so much!!!

Sarah73
Have you done anything different? Is he growing anything on his tail? Or just losing fins?

ash1999
Have you done anything different? Is he growing anything on his tail? Or just losing fins?

No, I haven't done anything different. Nothing seems to be growing on him, it just looks like his color is fading away, and a few of the rays on his tail have shriveled and fallen away. There were pinholes in the dorsal fin, but they have since opened all the way (which is why it was difficult to tell in the picture that he has rot, since he is CT)

FishFor2018
Do you think it might be velvet?

COBettaCouple Aquaphobia Akari_32 and CindiL
Can any of you guys help?

ash1999 I messaged some more experts so hopefully they will help

Sarah73
You could have a fish that bites it's own tail. You could also have poor water quality. Doesn't look like it, but how do you test the water?
Edit: it's bacterial if the fins are falling off or turning black.

CanadianFishFan
I'm also stumped, hmm. I always see betta marble to colors but not really to their actual pink fish color... My old koi betta marbled from pink to his koi colors then complete black and started to marble back to his old pink colors.

wolfdog01
Daily water changes may also help, not just for the fins but also in case he has something else.
Usually doing daily 50% water changes can heal fins. Anything rough in the tank he could have snagged his fins on? I've seen that pink ball of flowers in petstores and I know it's a little rough unless you've sanded it down.
As for the color change, he may be old. You may have brought an older betta and it's starting to show. Or marbling, every betta is different. Is he acting off of weird in any way? If he is still feisty and normal then I personally wouldn't worry too much.

ash1999
You could have a fish that bites it's own tail. You could also have poor water quality. Doesn't look like it, but how do you test the water?
Edit: it's bacterial if the fins are falling off or turning black.

I use the API freshwater master test kit every week right before I do water changes. It's the liquid kit, as I heard the test strips aren't as accurate. The water quality is perfect, I listed it up in the original post but ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 10-20ppm with a pH of around 7.2. The tank was cycled before I got him.

Daily water changes may also help, not just for the fins but also in case he has something else.
Usually doing daily 50% water changes can heal fins. Anything rough in the tank he could have snagged his fins on? I've seen that pink ball of flowers in petstores and I know it's a little rough unless you've sanded it down.
As for the color change, he may be old. You may have brought an older betta and it's starting to show. Or marbling, every betta is different. Is he acting off of weird in any way? If he is still feisty and normal then I personally wouldn't worry too much.

All the plants are silk, so if it is the decor, the flower ball is the only thing it could be, but I don't think that's what caused the color change. He was very small when I bought him, and has actually grown since then, so I think he was young. He isn't acting much different, she still begs for food when he sees me at the front of the tank. He may be slightly less active than usual, but no huge changes. The last betta in that tank, Sapphire, had the same issue where he began losing color, and he didn't make it. I also have a 5 gal with another betta and he is doing just fine.

Do you think it might be velvet?

COBettaCouple Aquaphobia Akari_32 and CindiL
Can any of you guys help?

ash1999 I messaged some more experts so hopefully they will help

I'm not sure, as I've never personally dealt with velvet before, but it doesn't look like there are any parasites on his skin, no texture change, just the discoloration and the mild fin rot. The only disease I've had experience with aside from fin rot is ich, and I keep tetra lifeguard on hand for that.

Gypsy13
Sorry I’m late guys. This sounds like one sick betta. I’m so sorry.
From the way y’all have described it, I’m definitely thinking bacteria. The furan2 is a good choice. Especially since you’ve already tried erythromycin. Follow directions very carefully. Dose for the amount of water only. Kanaplex used with furan2 make a super antibacterial team. But for this little guy, I’d recommend using the furan2. After that treatment, if there’s not a significant amount of difference, I’d use kanaplex and metroplex together. But, for now, just the furan2. Pristine warm water. Keep us posted? Please? We’re all here.

Sarah73
My question is how did you cycle the tank before you got the beta? He could also just be overwhelmed by the number of mates he is with which makes them more prone to disease.

ash1999
Sorry I’m late guys. This sounds like one sick betta. I’m so sorry.
From the way y’all have described it, I’m definitely thinking bacteria. The furan2 is a good choice. Especially since you’ve already tried erythromycin. Follow directions very carefully. Dose for the amount of water only. Kanaplex used with furan2 make a super antibacterial team. But for this little guy, I’d recommend using the furan2. After that treatment, if there’s not a significant amount of difference, I’d use kanaplex and metroplex together. But, for now, just the furan2. Pristine warm water. Keep us posted? Please? We’re all here.

Luckily I have already ordered the furan-2 and it should be here saturday! Thanks so much for your help. I love this little guy and I really want him to get better. He was doing so well until this happened!

ash1999
My question is how did you cycle the tank before you got the beta? He could also just be overwhelmed by the number of mates he is with which makes them more prone to disease.

The tank was cycled by other fish, as my mom had a cycled tank with zebra danios, so I took some substrate from her tank to start my bacteria colony, and I had another betta in the tank for around 7 months before. 3 of the snails were also in the tank before Marbles, with the previous betta. His only tank mates are snails, and he has never has any issues with them, never picking at them at all. Just occasionally stares at them, but he has never bothered them and they don't bother him.

Sarah73
The tank was cycled by other fish, as my mom had a cycled tank with zebra danios, so I took some substrate from her tank to start my bacteria colony, and I had another betta in the tank for around 7 months before. 3 of the snails were also in the tank before Marbles, with the previous betta. His only tank mates are snails, and he has never has any issues with them, never picking at them at all. Just occasionally stares at them, but he has never bothered them and they don't bother him.
Grabbing some substrate does pretty much nothing. You should have grabbed half of her filter pad.

ash1999
Grabbing some substrate does pretty much nothing. You should have grabbed half of her filter pad.

Well, that was nearly 9 months ago, the tank is cycled now as there were fish in it before Marbles. So at this point, I'm not sure why it matters how it was cycled, just that it was already cycled before Marbles was in it. I had nitrate readings before, so I know the cycle was complete. The tank has been set up since Oct-Nov.

Sarah73
Because people sometimes don't know if your cycled or not. And just because you have some nitrates doesn't mean your tank is cycled. It's cycled when you see no ammonia, no nitrites, but some nitrates.

ash1999
Because people sometimes don't know if your cycled or not. And just because you have some nitrates doesn't mean your tank is cycled. It's cycled when you see no ammonia, no nitrites, but some nitrates.

Yes, and I've repeated it twice on this thread that I have no ammonia, no nitrites, and 10-20ppm nitrates. I've done my research, and I'm an animal science major so I've already learned about the nitrogen cycle in classes.

Sarah73
Ok well...good luck

Gypsy13
Luckily I have already ordered the furan-2 and it should be here saturday! Thanks so much for your help. I love this little guy and I really want him to get better. He was doing so well until this happened!

I’m hopeful. Sounds like a beauty.
You may want to remove your snails during treatment. Just as a precaution.

ash1999
I’m hopeful. Sounds like a beauty.
You may want to remove your snails during treatment. Just as a precaution.

Update:

I received the Furan 2 in the mail yesterday, but was at a wedding so I couldn't start treatment until today. The box says to remove all filter media, but keep the filter running. Wont that destroy my cycle? Should I cut the filter cartridge open and remove the carbon inside? Or just do what the box says and remove it altogether? Also, would the medicine affect my marimo moss balls?

SegiDream
Remove the carbon at the very least. Carbon will remove medication from the water, you can use carbon after treatment to remove medication. I can't remember if furan2 kills the cycle, I think it does and I think it stains things too? It never hurts to have extra media running in a healthy tank so that it's seeded and ready if needed. If it were me I'd leave the marimo moss ball in there, might as well treat everything in the tank unless there are snails and shrimp you want to keep.

NeptuneBetta
What happened to your Betta? I’m currently going through the same thing with my crowntail. I see no change in his behavior just his color changing. Someone said it might be marbling but, he’s not changing into another color he’s just looks pale.

Attachments

• E39B6E4C-B380-4DB1-AA80-A463F44321F4.jpeg
    E39B6E4C-B380-4DB1-AA80-A463F44321F4.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 87A40C02-C430-42E0-BB92-D7DC3B677DFE.jpeg
    87A40C02-C430-42E0-BB92-D7DC3B677DFE.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 58
  • CD1CDF0E-F1AA-48DF-9D2B-8BD365C09ADD.jpeg
    CD1CDF0E-F1AA-48DF-9D2B-8BD365C09ADD.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 54

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies