Betta fish in my 29 gallon community tank?

_:lmcw:_

So I've had my 29 gal tank up and cycled for 10 months with rocks, driftwood and live plants, 3 danios and a handful of cherry red shrimp waiting for it to mature and stabilize itself enough to have a pair of German blue rams. A couple weeks ago I bought a beautiful (and expensive) pair and was ecstatic when they spawned after only a day. The male was found dead in the tank by the next day and the female a week later. I couldn't find anything amiss in my tank and to this day, as it has been, my temperature is 80° f, my ammonia and nitrites are both 0, my nitrates are <10 ppm and my ph is 7.6. I perform a 15-20% water change weekly.

My dreams being snatched away and sick of looking at a nearly empty tank, I purchased 6 young harlequin rasboras and started looking at different community fish. I noticed in one tank in my lfs a community tank featuring harlequins, rummies and a male betta. I have thought about this before but have heard different things about betta fish and danios mixing. although I have always had danios, I would be willing to trade them for something else to make a betta happy.

Any suggestions? If a betta would be unhappy, what other fish could I use as "centerpiece" fish? I'm looking for color and personality.

monkeypie102

It 100% depends on the betta in question... I currently have 2 bettas (hoping to get a 3rd from a member on here) betta 1 çresendo is super friendly with everything in his tank... when I had him in my 29 with black skirts, black neons, otos, and cories there was never an issue... now he is in a 26g with red cherry shrimp and endlers... still no issues and the shrimp are doing awesome... however betta 2 Mavrick can only be with snails as he likes to pested everything else that moves faster than him...

So I say if you get a betta be ready for plan b which should be a 5-10g tank... or take him back to the store...

riptide904

I agree, try it out but have a backup ready.

Kuhli Country

My friend keeps a Betta with ten Neon Tetras in a 60cm (2ft tank) & they get along just fine, even feeding together. He said when he introduced the Neons, the Betta flared at them for a minute or two, & that was it.

Obviously its best to introduce a Betta last, but its encouraging to see that it can be done in reverse order, & one Fighter + ten Neons makes for one very colourful display.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Frisbee
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lilthuglet