Betta Fish Horder On Kijji?!

CanadianFishFan
I don't know what I just found. Theres like hundreds of bettas in shelf's in small vases for sell on kijji. Ive never seen such a thing! I had to share this. Ive never seen this in my life! IM SHOOK

upload_2018-6-11_13-4-33.png
upload_2018-6-11_13-4-44.png
upload_2018-6-11_13-4-50.png

Dch48
What is kijji?

Rtessy
Woah! What on Earth?!

CanadianFishFan
What is kijji?
every time I have to explain to the Americans.... Its like Ebay but for more personal things you selling so not for companys. I always look daily for leopard geckos, fish and fish tanks for cheap that people are selling. And I found this ad.

Woah! What on Earth?!
Like I said SHOOK. I assume heat is fine if you heat the whole room but water changes, stress of to small of tank with no plants and near other bettas is not healthy.

Platylover
You sure this person isn’t just housing their juvenile bettas from spawns in this? Setups similar to this aren’t to uncommon for betta breeders since they can’t house all their bettas in one tank when they become older.

CanadianFishFan
Theres more photos, it never ends....

upload_2018-6-11_13-26-26.png
upload_2018-6-11_13-26-33.png
upload_2018-6-11_13-26-39.png

You sure this person isn’t just housing their juvenile bettas from spawns in this? Setups similar to this aren’t to uncommon for betta breeders since they can’t house all their bettas in one tank when they become older.
It says 14 of the fish are fish she breed and the rest she has "Adopted" over the years.

Algonquin
Yikes - that's crazy! Poor things... maybe they'll sell all of them and then quit their obsession...

I think the KijijI equivalent in the US is Craigslist maybe?

Platylover
In that case it isn’t ok then since it seems to be a long term and not a short term thing. I hope the bettas find good homes and she doesn’t house anymore like this.

Buganjimo
What is kijji?

It’s Canadian craigslist.

Also, I’ve seen this! I always look on kijijI and I see like this all the time, for adfs too!

CanadianFishFan
Yikes - that's crazy! Poor things... maybe they'll sell all of them and then quit their obsession...

I think the KijijI equivalent in the US is Craigslist maybe?
Maybe, kinda similar.

In that case it isn’t ok then since it seems to be a long term and not a short term thing. I hope the bettas find good homes and she doesn’t house anymore like this.
I hope so, this is about 32hours away from where I live so I can't buy them. Any how I could never handle the water change price in it

Dch48

Also, I’ve seen this! I always look on kijijI and I see like this all the time, for adfs too!
Actually, I just found that KijijI is a wholly owned subsidiary of eBay.

IHaveADogToo
It says 14 of the fish are fish she breed and the rest she has "Adopted" over the years.

*Sees how badly Walmart treats their fish
**Feels bad for the fish
***"Rescues" the fish by buying all of them
****Just supported Walmart's poor treatment of fish
*****Walmart restocks with more fish
******Repeats

Rainy day

I'm not so sure it's short term. Although she's advertising them she's super fussy about selling them. I gave up on trying to purchase some from her, she'll insist you meet her tight schedule instead of just sending pictures.

CanadianFishFan

Where ya live? It says this is in toronto. Why did I search something up that's 32hours away from me idk.... lol

*Sees how badly Walmart treats their fish
**Feels bad for the fish
***"Rescues" the fish by buying all of them
****Just supported Walmart's poor treatment of fish
*****Walmart restocks with more fish
******Repeats
Most likely.... ( Wait they don't sell fish at walmart in canada xD false theory.)

Platylover
I'm not so sure it's short term. Although she's advertising them she's super fussy about selling them. I gave up on trying to purchase some from her, she'll insist you meet her tight schedule instead of just sending pictures.
That’s why I said it seems like a long term thing and not a short term.
She sounds rather sketchy... that's to bad for the fish. Poor guys.

IHaveADogToo
Walmart isn't the only retailer that mistreats fish

CanadianFishFan
People like this on kijjI are annoying. I had one lady who was asking $30 for three male bettas in a divided 1 gallon tank. I asked for $5 and picked it up with in hours, she was happy. Other people such as this kid selling a half dead betta in a 1 gallon bowl with no plants for $60 were firm on the deal... he didnt even pay that much when he originally bought it!

That’s why I said it seems like a long term thing and not a short term.
She sounds rather sketchy... that's to bad for the fish. Poor guys.
Agree horders are sketchy

Platylover
No joke. Most petstores are barely any better and LFS are a hit or miss(mine comepletely mistreats the fish). I find that I seem to only be able to find good quality and seemingly well taken care of bettas from breeders and importers. It also doesn’t help support places that care little for the lives of their fish, and rather support those that do.

CanadianFishFan
Very true, but I always have to state we don't have fish in Walmart in Canada. My Petvalu, petland and mall pet stores all mistreat there bettas. They buy the new BettaElive things and don't even hook up the filter things!

IHaveADogToo
My Petvalu, petland and mall pet stores all mistreat there bettas. They buy the new BettaElive things and don't even hook up the filter things!

I'm tellin' you, retailers do this stuff intentionally to make you feel bad for the animal and adopt it.

Platylover
I'm tellin' you, retailers do this stuff make you feel bad for the animal and adopt it.
Wouldn’t be surprised... that’s why I’ll never live animals purchase from a big box store unless I absolutely have to. Even if mine takes great care of the animals, others of the same chain don’t and I don’t want to support animal cruelty.

CanadianFishFan
Wouldn’t be surprised... that’s why I’ll never live animals purchase from a big box store unless I absolutely have to. Even if mine takes great care of the animals, others of the same chain don’t and I don’t want to support animal cruelty.
I use to buy from my local petsmart because they had male bettas in every community tank possible and they were always healthy and happy in clean water. Lately they went down hill and had less bettas on dark shelfs in the corner of the store, now there mainly sick and have dirty water. Ive stopped buying.... . My actual LFS sells them for more and in worse conditions... I only buy from healthy petsmarts now. petland and petvalu always have sick bettas so I shall never buy there. The only good store is 2hours away from me and we go there like once a year. They have bettas in 5 gallon tanks each for sale.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BenjiBear
Replies
Views
grac3
Replies
Views
RayClem
Top Bottom