Betta Fish Help?

ashycat23

Reaction score
So I have my Betta Fish Suicune, I've had for a few months, and I noticed for sometime that my Betta's "top" fin part of his feathers were starting to deteriorate. Which I assumed - fin rot. The tank was pretty gross so I cleaned the whole thing. I was changing out the system entirely, so it was beneficial. (I know you're supposed to only do a 25% or 50% clean.)

We have poor water so I used the typical cleaners (I've had bettas for years.) and have used API's BettaFix. Well the fins have changed, they aren't really brown anymore, like they used to be and I'm concerned whether it's getting worst because it looks BIGGER because now he's missing blue scales on the top where it's like a reddish white transparent color, or if it's just healing and I thought I'd like poke and see what someone else may have.

vq6hOp.jpg

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ashycat23 said:
So I have my Betta Fish Suicune, I've had for a few months, and I noticed for sometime that my Betta's "top" fin part of his feathers were starting to deteriorate. Which I assumed - fin rot. The tank was pretty gross so I cleaned the whole thing. I was changing out the system entirely, so it was beneficial. (I know you're supposed to only do a 25% or 50% clean.)

We have poor water so I used the typical cleaners (I've had bettas for years.) and have used API's BettaFix. Well the fins have changed, they aren't really brown anymore, like they used to be and I'm concerned whether it's getting worst because it looks BIGGER because now he's missing blue scales on the top where it's like a reddish white transparent color, or if it's just healing and I thought I'd like poke and see what someone else may have.

vq6hOp.jpg
That looks painful! Poor guy.
Stop with the melifix and keep up water changes. Is his tank heated? He'd probably like it around 79°.
The first thing I'd do is go buy API Fin and Body cure and do exactly as it directs. I can tell you my betta responded to that when all else failed.
Is the aquarium filtered? How many gallons is it?

ashycat23

Reaction score
Its a 2.5 gallon tank, it is heated, and I JUST got him a filter. It's a Aqueon QuietFlow E. Right now all it has is the filter it came with it I hadn't asked for help when I purchased it and didn't realize it had more compartments for more than just the one it had for carbon.

Whats the difference between the API Fin and Body cure and the BettaFix? (this is just a general curiosity)

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettafix is just a small percentage of tea tree oil. Perhaps that can help with some things, but can't fight a serious infection.
API body cure is a tetracycline. That's what we use for antibiotics on humans and other animals. It's a medication, tea tree oil is not.
I mainly suggested it because it worked for me after I had tried other brands. I hope you can get your boy feeling better.

ashycat23 said:
Its a 2.5 gallon tank, it is heated, and I JUST got him a filter. It's a Aqueon QuietFlow E. Right now all it has is the filter it came with it I hadn't asked for help when I purchased it and didn't realize it had more compartments for more than just the one it had for carbon.

Whats the difference between the API Fin and Body cure and the BettaFix? (this is just a general curiosity)
Is there a hiding place down by the heater where he could have burned himself? Look for a spot he might like under the heater feel the tip of it for heat and see what you think.

ashycat23

Reaction score
Good to know about the differences between the two!

The only fake plant I have is near the heater (it kind of keeps him away from it directly). but he generally doesn't stay that close to the heater it's at the backside of the tank and he spends all of his time at the front side (Generally making angry faces at me while I'm at my laptop). Sometimes he'll rest at the top of it, but that part isn't hot, at all as it's the rubber insulated part and the Filter is new before this happened.

So we're thinking this is a injury of some sort?

- Thanks for all your help! I really like this little guy he has a lot of personality.

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ashycat23 said:
Good to know about the differences between the two!

The only fake plant I have is near the heater (it kind of keeps him away from it directly). but he generally doesn't stay that close to the heater it's at the backside of the tank and he spends all of his time at the front side (Generally making angry faces at me while I'm at my laptop). Sometimes he'll rest at the top of it, but that part isn't hot, at all as it's the rubber insulated part and the Filter is new before this happened.

So we're thinking this is a injury of some sort?

- Thanks for all your help! I really like this little guy he has a lot of personality.
Do you have a water test kit? Have you tried Indian Almond Leaf? The IAL is good for general improvement in bettas, but I still think you need medication. Are you doing water changes daily? How much water? What's the temp?

ashycat23

Reaction score
I don't use a water test kit, we already know the levels of our water (we have a well). So we use filtered water and I also use fish water stabilizer for those trace minerals that may get missed. (also why I switched to a filter.) I have not tried Almond Leaf, I'll look into that. I already ordered the API Fin and Body cure so hopefully that will help!

I've been changing it every 3 days, but I did a 50% after I learned that the bettafix was a bit poisonous to them. The Temp is 78.

Since I've posted about this, though the side thats looked the most rough, is looking a bit better, less red, but he's making it difficult to see that particular side of himself, but I can see new scale growth.

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ashycat23 said:
I don't use a water test kit, we already know the levels of our water (we have a well). So we use filtered water and I also use fish water stabilizer for those trace minerals that may get missed. (also why I switched to a filter.) I have not tried Almond Leaf, I'll look into that. I already ordered the API Fin and Body cure so hopefully that will help!

I've been changing it every 3 days, but I did a 50% after I learned that the bettafix was a bit poisonous to them. The Temp is 78.

Since I've posted about this, though the side thats looked the most rough, is looking a bit better, less red, but he's making it difficult to see that particular side of himself, but I can see new scale growth.
Read the directions carefully when you use the medication. There's a schedule including water changes.
I would get a test kit if I were you to monitor ammonia and nitrite build up and water quality. The water you put in will get polluted, so you need to monitor it. The best thing you can do for fin rot or really any infection is to keep the water healthy. I think you should test daily. Any (ANY) nitrite or ammonia in the water is harming his immune system, so you need to stay vigilant.
Blood worms are said to help with fin rebuilding (pure protein), so that's something you can look into. Live plants would help with water quality and eliminate any hard edges on fake plants that might scratch his tender wound.
I know that's a lot of ideas and they all cost money, but I think following the directions exactly on the API meds and testing water quality daily are not negotiable. If you can do the other ones, that's even better.
Let me know if you have questions.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom