Betta Fish Has Weird Spot On Side

Hannah1064

Reaction score
So I got my half moon betta fish 2 1/2 weeks ago. He is in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. This morning I was watching him and I noticed these weird "spots"(?) on his side. The spots are a light blue color ( almost as if a scale fell off?) and are not raised off his scales at all. He's swimming around the tank spending equal amounts of time at the top and bottom of the tank, is very active, and is eating fine. I'm really worried as this is my first time taking care of a betta fish and I'm already really attached. I've attached a picture below.
A850DAA5-A737-4F83-8B7A-0FF1F9DCFB16.jpeg
D6F9FED9-AA14-44C1-A560-B681BFA1F344.jpeg

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Pretty fish! Sounds like a scale fell off. It will grow back and to fast forward the process you can get some remedies for it.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree that it is likely just a missing scale or perhaps a colour change in process. Should be fine but it's a good idea to keep an eye on it anyway.

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reaction score
Myyyman said:
Pretty fish! Sounds like a scale fell off. It will grow back and to fast forward the process you can get some remedies for it.
Okay, thank you!!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
bettas are sensitive to fake plants and rough decor. its possible he could've grazed a decoration and ripped a scale off. the best way to tell is to do the pantyhose test with all decor, run pantyhose across and if it snags the tiniest bit, it will on him too. imo those blue bush plants in the background can snag his fins and that tan rock looks like it could graze him as well. you could do the test to check. I would throw in some indian almond leaves and roobis tea for the scales and for his slime coat, also keep up water changes whereas clean water is key for any infection or injury. he should heal fine.

New Threads