Betta Fish Has Lump On Side - Not Moving Or Eating Very Sickly Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Fishie1234, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Fishie1234New MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    [​IMG]
    I just came back from vacation and found my betta wedged between the base of a silk plant and the aquarium wall. He looks in really bad shape and I'm not sure what the bruise or lump is.
    He's really pale now and isn't really able to swim, he kind of just swims up then sinks back down again. Please help, thank you!

Following the template:

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 6 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? Almost a Year
    Does it have a filter? yes
    Does it have a heater? yes
    What is the water temperature? 79.2 degrees Fahrenheit
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) - 1 betta fish male

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? weekly
    How much of the water do you change? 20-30%
    What do you use to treat your water? AquaSafe for bettas
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
    What do you use to test the water? aquarium water testing strips
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 20 ppm
    pH: 8.0

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? daily
    How much do you feed your fish? about 5 grains of food
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Wardley blue betta food
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? occasionally bloodworms as a treat

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? almost 1 year
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? yesterday
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? large pale bruise or lump on side, not swimming, very pale colouring
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? stress coat, changed water, lowered water levels
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? not able to surface or swim

Attached Files:

2. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

I can’t really tell or see the lump with the provided picture, I’d start some epsom salt baths. Get a one gallon bucket and put 1tablespoon of epsom salt per gallon and put the betta in for 10 minutes. You might want to do this a few times a day. After the 10 minutes is up net the fish and put him back in his tank. Also, lower the water level in the main tank he’s in to make it easier for him to swim up and down for air.

3. Fishie1234New MemberMember

Updated picture attached while i was giving the salt baths. It looks more like a gash or wound but also a large lump.
    Hopefully the salt bath will help clear anything up... IMG_20190323_115117.jpgIMG_20190323_114804.jpg

4. eascusaNew MemberMember

I am late on this post. I am wondering if he is O.K.? Or if he past? He doesn't look good at all in this pic. And your right it looks like a wound for sure. But you have no other fish in your tank? What about decorations? I have heard and had also one of my beta ripped his fin on a shell in his tank. Is it possible he could have ran into something sharp? From what you said in your answers everything looks really good. Sometimes it's nothing you did or didn't do. Fish just get sick. Like us humans. Hereditary or old age. Was he full grown when you got him? Sometimes there a lot older than you think when you purchase them. So by the time a year goes by he could be like 3 or 4. Sometimes older. And getting sick is a lot easier then. But in your case it seems a bit different because it looks like he got hurt. I'm at a loss about that. Other than something in the tank that sliced or tore him. And then it can be infected underneath and that's why he has a bump right there. So sorry

5. SaraCooperNew MemberMember

Very pretty, even when sick.