Betta Fish Forum

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by mistycheri, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mistycheri

mistycheriValued MemberMember

Way to go Chickadee!!! I'm glad you decided to start this new forum just for Beta's. I'm sure it will be used reguarly.

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yay!!! Chickadee the supreme Betta mom
    Carol

3. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I want to thank you all for your support. Without you I would not have this opportunity. It is because I love Bettas that I am here and I will do all I can to help.

Elvira is Beautiful. Thank you so much for her picture! She is the only other lady on the forum (other than Misty) so far - to my knowledge. Please correct me if I am wrong. Such a lovely girl.

Rose
    :)

4. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, there will be 4 more little girls on this forum in a few months! :D yay!!

5. chickadee

Great!! and I believe that ebbandflow is planning a tank around some females so maybe we will have a real nice bunch before summer is out. Let us hope so!!!

Such a nice way to start the summer!

Rose

6. ebbandflow

ebbandflowValued MemberMember

Oh man I feel so bad now :-\. If Satin doesnt work out in his 29 gallon home then maybe I'll still get the four females (but thatll be in a while either way.) Quick question actually... its probably too small but could four females be in my ten gallon and be happy?

7. 0morrokh

Technically a 10 gallon is big enough for 4 females, BUT I don't know if that would work. They wouldn't have much room to get away from each other. You could get just 3 of them. Let's see what Rose says...
    Don't feel bad about getting male instead. Satin is wonderful. If you fall in love with a fish at the store it's hard not to but him. :)

8. ebbandflow

He really is wonderful. Possibly the finest fish ever born. Ok ok definitely (he's givin me that look). I know its not good to be conceited but its ok if its not about yourself right? ::)

9. chickadee

I have never met a Betta I didn't LOVE. (Satin is indeed one of the nicest I've seen). Don't tell him I put it that way I wouldn't want to get "that look" LOL.

Yes, little females can be kept in a group of 3 (which is actually what is recommended) and I believe that if there was not anything else in there with them a 10 gallon would be okay for them. Sorry but you couldn't have a bunch of cories and otos with them. Maybe cories or otos, but not both. (I would say 2 cories or 3 otos)

Hope that helps some.

Rose

10. 0morrokh

Wait, were the Cories/Otos going to be in the 29 with the male or was he asking about them in the 10 with females? Unless the 10 is heavily planted I wouldn't recommend Otos in there or you may end up with finrot like I did :(, and also Cories need to be kept in groups of 3 or more.

11. chickadee

Sorry I don't know much about Cories. I knew they couldn't be alone but didn't know how many. I don't know if 3 would fit in with 3 female bettas. What size do they get relative to the size of Otos? Otos get to be about 1and a half inches max. (without tails) Well, I just looked them up and the book says 5-6 cm for most of the species except the Pygmy Catfish which is 4 cm. You could get 3 Pygmy Cats in, but I am seriously doubting the introduction of 3 of the others. The Bettas will grow to about 5 - 6 cm each without tails and that would be a good 6" of fish with just the bettas. The planted tank with the Otos would work and be quite pretty.

Rose

12. 0morrokh

I thought Otos were 2 inches. My brain isn't converting cm to inches at the moment, but I know besides the Pygmy (which by the way need to be kept in shoals of 6), the smallest Cory you can get (Panda) is up to 2 inches. Average is probably 2.5 or 3 inches. Some get even bigger... See if you can find a type of Cory you like that is 2 inches...there are a few but I can't think of them at the moment...

13. ebbandflow

I found this cory that I really liked... called the sterbus I think. Its soooo expensive though. The lfs said 15 bucks each! I'm probably gonna have to end up goin with one of the more common ones.