Betta Fish Flaring/aggression

NinaB

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I bought a new betta and left the lights off in the tank for him all day. This morning, I offered him some pellets to see if he would eat, he investigated them but hasn't eaten. The temperature is stable at 79F and all my water parameters are ideal (just tested them).
However, for the past little while, he's been darting back and forth and attacking what I think is his reflection. He'll aggressively flare at it, swim away and flare at another reflection of his, and then do that some more.
It also seems he has started a bubble nest of sorts, as there are some bubbles on the tank's front corner and I saw him place some more a few minutes ago.
He's in a 10 gallon, his filter is set to the lowest flow possible and doesn't seem to be bothering him, and there are tons of plants for him.

I'm wondering if this excessive flaring is normal or if it's because of something and if I need to do anything to stop it.

Attachments

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well bettas love to protect their bubble nests, my males flare at me when i get close to their bubble nest. Can i see a picture of the tank? maybe something around it is making him angry.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NinaB said:
Here is the tank, he is peaking out in the left corner.
yeah looks to be he is just protecting his bubble nest, he should stop soon. some bettas are just aggressive.

NinaB

Reaction score
CanadianFishFan said:
yeah looks to be he is just protecting his bubble nest, he should stop soon. some bettas are just aggressive.
Thank you! I just wanted to be on the safe side and get a second opinion

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mine only does that if his tanks lights are on and the lights in my room are off. Otherwise he cant see his reflection.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lovely tank! Usually, new bettas tend to flare at their reflection because of the new surroundings.
Mine have always done it

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It might not only be their reflection. If there's something small and brightly coloured near his tank, he could see that as a threat. Even a mini glue stick.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom