Betta Fish Finrot Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by eraser.jpg, Apr 22, 2018.

1. eraser.jpgNew MemberMember

Hi everyone! My betta has fin rot :(. Before writing this, I've already done a treatment with aquarium salt and after no results, a treatment with Bacterial Infection Remedy. After reading a bit, medication probably wasn't necessary for the severity of the rot, so I probably wont try that again. This morning, I woke up to find him with a big chunk of his fin off. He has no other tank mates by the way, so I know this is fin rot but it's getting worse. Now I have him in a half gallon QT with a heater and an air pump. Im treating him with 1 tsp of aquarium salt with 100% water changes everyday. He's eating fine and all but the rot is progressing. I also use API Stress Coat for dechlorinating the water.

Anyone have advice? This is the first time I've treated fin rot so please tell me your opinions!

Attached Files:

2. Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

Well just because parts of his fin are falling off doesn't necessarily mean it's getting worse. Some of the rot could have been so bad that it fell off to make room for new fin to grow in. What I would do is treat your water with Melafix. What's nice about Melafix is it's almost 100% natural and doesn't harm them. It promotes regrowth of fins, scales, etc.

3. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

Do not treat a betta with Melafix EVER.

Extremely dangerous for their labyrinth organ. Aquarium salt is also not recommended because betta's are extremely sensitive to it.

The best to treat finrot is clean water. What are your tank's parameters? Temperature? Dimensions?

If you really need to medicate, use Paraguard or Methylene Blue dips.

4. Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

You do realize Melafix and Bettafix are basically the same thing right? One just has less concentrated Melaleuca in it. All you have to do is use a 1/5 of Melafix and boom you have Bettafix. Everyone thinks you have to buy Bettafix to treat Bettas, meanwhile its just a marketing scam.

5. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

Both Melafix AND bettafix are extremely controversial medication because the oil can cover the labyrinth organ, making it impossible for the betta to breath correctly.

I only said Melafix because it is what you mentioned. If you would've said bettafix my answer would have been the same.

6. Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

No you are absolutely wrong on this topic. They both have the EXACT SAME INGREDIENTS! It's Tea Tree Oil, one has 1.0% Melaleuca (Melafix) and the other has 0.2% Melaleuca in it (Bettafix) other than that has the SAME EXACT INGREDIENTS. It's a marketing scam. All someone has to do is dilute the Melafix with 5 drops of water and they are good to go. It is not "harmful" or "dangerous" to Betta fish. If you don't believe me then LOOK IT UP!

7. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

..... I'm sorry if you got confused but I am aware that it is the same ingredients . That is why I'm saying that both are dangerous...

8. CanadianJoehWell Known MemberMember

Both Melafix and bettafix are known to be potentially dangerous for Bettas because the oil will cover their labyrinth.

9. Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

Lol they are NOT dangerous... As long as you use the recommended dose for the fish they are perfectly 100% safe to use. This isn't my first rodeo, I've helped hundreds of people with their Betta fish recommending they use Melafix for finrot and every single one of them have had nothing but great results. The only thing I tell them to do different is change their water after 1 day of Melafix treatment.

10. Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

Please read above so I don't have to explain it again.

11. CanadianJoehWell Known MemberMember

You're alone in your argument, good luck when the cavalry shows up..

12. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

I will not argue with you anymore, you seem very impolite.

OP, I would recommend you not to use Melafix. There is much controversy about Melafix, so why not use a safe medication like Methylene Blue or Paraguard?

13. eraser.jpgNew MemberMember

Ph 6.8
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 0 ppm

I will raise the Ph a bit for him right after I'm done writing this. His tank is 2.5 gallons. I know it's a bit small but I'm setting up a 20 gallon long for him soon. His temperature hasn't been the greatest which could be a reason for him to get sick. I don't have a good heater for him because the smallest one I have right now is for 5 gallons and it goes way above 80 degrees if I just leave it on for an hour. His temps are usually 72 degrees which sucks. I think that could've stressed him out and led to his fin to rot. Do you think I should continue with the saltwater treatment or put him back in his tank and do a water change everyday for a week or so?

14. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

I would put him back in his tank and change 50% of the water everyday... pristine water is by far the best medicine! As for your pH, don't mess with it it's actually not a problem at all. You can have a pH from 6 to 8 and your fish will be safe, what can be dangerous is variation in the pH. Stability is the key, so just keep it at 6.8 it's not a problem at all. 72 is very cold for a betta.... so yes it is probably stressing him. Do you plan on upgrading for the 20g soon? It's a very good idea.

Is your tank cycled? Because the 0 nitrate reading leads me to think it is not. So you know about the nitrogen cycle?

15. eraser.jpgNew MemberMember

Yes, my tank is cycled. I've had it running for around a year. And I do know about the nitrogen cycle. All I know is that when I tested the nitrates 20 minutes ago, the reading from my API Freshwater Master Test Kit was very yellow which matched with 0 ppm.

I'll go ahead and put him back in his tank. I'll add the heater and just keep a close watch on it. Is the 0 nitrate something to be super worried about? I thought it was ideal to get it as close to 0 ppm as you could. I have a rough estimate of setting up the 20 gallon in a few weeks or so. I still need a couple of things for it. :)

16. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

If the water temperature gets higher than 82 remove stop the heater! As for your nitrates, when and how bug was your last water change? If it was very recent, maybe you just don't have a lot which is good. But if it is really 0, it could mean your cycle has crashed. Normally nitrates should be less than 40 to be safe!

17. eraser.jpgNew MemberMember

I did a 75% water change just a few hours ago. Normally I just do a 25% water change once a week but due to the bettas illness, I decided i should do a big chunk of cleaning.

18. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

that explain the 0 reading. No need to worry then!

19. eraser.jpgNew MemberMember

Thank you so much for the info! I will update you in a week on how he's doing :). One last thing, he spends a considerable amount of time at the bottom of his tank, under the filter where the water is being taken in. I don't know if it's because there's more oxygen there or what. I still have his air pump in there but he still camps under his filter. I don't want to increase the bubbles because he can't swim well enough against the current. Any advice?

20. JabberwockValued MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice