Help Betta Fish fin tearing

Felix88

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m somewhat new to taking care of betta fish I’ve had this betta fish, Klaus, for about 3 months. He’s a Halfmoon male betta. I saw that he had a small pinhole size hole in his dorsal fin. A few days later he had three full sized holes in that same fin two of the three have spread to a tear and the third looks like it’s going to tear soon too. I started to do a bettafix treatment hoping that would help four days ago. It’s still getting worse even while I’m doing the treatment. Do I need to be worried? And is there any other things I should be doing?
I tried to get a photo of his fin but he kept moving too fast for me to get a photo.
Thank you so much.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There are a few things to consider when trying to figure out what is happening and why.

First- your profile says you aren't aware of the nitrogen cycle. I would advise reading up on that as it is the most important thing to know when it comes to fish keeping. Poor water quality can cause a number of issues in all fish, one of which being visible damage to fins.

Another possibility is that he has managed to injure his fin on something within the tank. This could be plastic plants, pointy driftwood, or unsanded decor. You may want to consider removing any of these or sanding them down if possible.

The third possibility is that he could perhaps be experiencing some sort of medical problem. The first thing that comes to my mind is called finrot. You can look up pictures of this to compare but the basics are fins that look as if they are receding with a dark line around the edge.

With regards to helping him heal the best and simplest way is to just make him comfortable and keep the water clean. By this I mean making sure the tank is cycled, heater, an appropriate size, and that you are doing frequent water changes suited to his tank size. For example a tank that is 5-10 gallons with just a betta should have a weekly water change of 25% or so, a 2.5 gallon should have either a weekly 50% change or two 25% changes.
If this does not seem to help you can do salt baths. These are smaller containers (typically 1 gallon or less) filled with conditioner water and an appropriate amount of aquarium salt. You follow the instructions on the package to make sure you use the correct dose and that it is fully dissolved. Then you move your fish into the bath and keep him there for 5-10 minutes before returning him to his tank. I'd suggest that if you plan to do this to do it every day for about a week.
Bettafix can help but I have personally not had experience with it. Some people have experienced problems with Bettafix and Melafix (more potent bettafix) when using it with fish like bettas. That's not to say you shouldn't use it or anything, I know many people who have had success with it in fact! It's just a good idea to be aware of the possibility.

OP
F

Felix88

Reaction score
Salem said:
There are a few things to consider when trying to figure out what is happening and why.

First- your profile says you aren't aware of the nitrogen cycle. I would advise reading up on that as it is the most important thing to know when it comes to fish keeping. Poor water quality can cause a number of issues in all fish, one of which being visible damage to fins.

Another possibility is that he has managed to injure his fin on something within the tank. This could be plastic plants, pointy driftwood, or unsanded decor. You may want to consider removing any of these or sanding them down if possible.

The third possibility is that he could perhaps be experiencing some sort of medical problem. The first thing that comes to my mind is called finrot. You can look up pictures of this to compare but the basics are fins that look as if they are receding with a dark line around the edge.

With regards to helping him heal the best and simplest way is to just make him comfortable and keep the water clean. By this I mean making sure the tank is cycled, heater, an appropriate size, and that you are doing frequent water changes suited to his tank size. For example a tank that is 5-10 gallons with just a betta should have a weekly water change of 25% or so, a 2.5 gallon should have either a weekly 50% change or two 25% changes.
If this does not seem to help you can do salt baths. These are smaller containers (typically 1 gallon or less) filled with conditioner water and an appropriate amount of aquarium salt. You follow the instructions on the package to make sure you use the correct dose and that it is fully dissolved. Then you move your fish into the bath and keep him there for 5-10 minutes before returning him to his tank. I'd suggest that if you plan to do this to do it every day for about a week.
Bettafix can help but I have personally not had experience with it. Some people have experienced problems with Bettafix and Melafix (more potent bettafix) when using it with fish like bettas. That's not to say you shouldn't use it or anything, I know many people who have had success with it in fact! It's just a good idea to be aware of the possibility.
Thank you so much.
Right before he got the hole I took some water to get tested at the PetSmart near me and they said it was ok. I was already going to do a water so I did it anyways. I don’t think it’s finrot cause it isn’t darker near the area it’s tearing. I kinda thought he could have damaged it somehow and it’s breaking down further. I saw I didn’t have to do as often of water changes if I have a filter is that true or should I still try and do them weekly? He’s in a 2.5 gallon tank that has a filter, light, and heater. Their are also a few decorations. I really appreciate your help.

mrsP

Reaction score
Filter doesn't remove the need to do water changes, so doing them weekly is really good for your fish.

OP
F

Felix88

Reaction score
mrsP said:
Filter doesn't remove the need to do water changes, so doing them weekly is really good for your fish.
Ok thanks. I thought it would make it so I don’t have to do water changes as often. I was doing them Just not weekly. Thank you so much.

New Threads