Help Betta fish fin rot??

Lexi_forver100

Reaction score
I got my betta fish in August of 2018. He was fine for the first couple of days when I got him but then his fins started to deteriorate. They got bad around November of 2018 and healed a little by now. His fins have always been ripped and different since. It is worrying and I don't know what to do. I've posted a lot of threads about this two years ago and everybody said he was fine, but he does not look fine. Please help me and explain how I can treat him. I have an extra 2.5gal tanks and an extra 1gal tank with a heater and filter for the 2.5. If I have to treat him in a seperate tank, do I need to cycle that tank? I have aqarium salt left over from when I tried to treat him two years ago but it didn't work.

Here are photos of him from april2018-august2018-november2018-august2020

1597269030834.png
1597268937434.png
1597268980855.png
1597268822923.png

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? currently 5gal, previously 10gal
How long has the tank been running? 5 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Only betta fish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every week
How much of the water do you change? 40%
What do you use to treat your water? a drop of Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-30ppm
pH: 8ish

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? 3-4 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? national geographic betta pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? occasionally as a treat

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? a little over two years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? two years ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? no symptoms only messed up fins.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I've tried to use aquarium salt before but it didn't work.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No, but quickly after I purchased him his fins started to deteriorate and rip.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No, just the fins.

Attachments

OP
Lexi_forver100

Lexi_forver100

Reaction score
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Those look pretty shredded. What is in there for plants/decor? What type of filter?
I have one fake plant in there. I used to keep a bunch of amazon swords but they started to deteriorate and produce a lot of algae so I put them in my other tank. I didn't keep any fake plants when I had the live ones and he had the shredded fins then as well. The filter is a top fin filter. I have a cup in there attached to it so it is easier for him to swim.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Does his tail get caught in filter? Looks like something is tearing them up besides just fin rot.

But in the meantime, i would try 2 water changes a week, about 30% or so each. Thats what i do for my bettas if they have fin rot or the one been biting his tail. Seems to heal fairly quick and the fins grow back in a decent amount of time.

OP
Lexi_forver100

Lexi_forver100

Reaction score
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Does his tail get caught in filter? Looks like something is tearing them up besides just fin rot.

But in the meantime, i would try 2 water changes a week, about 30% or so each. Thats what i do for my bettas if they have fin rot or the one been biting his tail. Seems to heal fairly quick and the fins grow back in a decent amount of time.
I've never seen him near the filter. He usually just swims on the other side. I've never seen him bite his fins either. Do you think water changes are strong enough to heal his fins, they seem very damaged. Also how long should I continue doing double water changes a week? If it doesn't work what should I do.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have seen reccomendations for almond leaves and stuff like that. Keeping water super clean has always worked for me, so haven't personally had to do anything else

New Threads