Betta fish fin rot? Frequent water change or use medication?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Omnis Potens, Apr 6, 2010.

1. O

Omnis Potens New Member Member

2. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

It does look like his fins are a bit eaten away, but it might be part of his coloring and tail type unless youve noticed a big change in the way his fins look? Id just keep up with your water conditions to make sure his water is in good shape which might be tough if hes in a brand new uncycled tank. Keep your eye on it but if it is fin rot, it doesnt look like its to the point where it needs to be medicated, just give him the best water conditions you can and hopefully it will heal up on his own. Also, salt isnt generally recommended for bettas so you might want to stop adding the salt and continue with regular water changes

forgot to add, nice fish ;) whered you get him?

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Lovely betta. I'm not sure he has fin rot to be honest. His fins just look a bit shreaded to me. I think they are colored like that. For the fins fin rot or not just treat him to nice clean water that is warm 78-80 degrees and soaking his food in garlic juice or garlic guard will help him. Vit chem will also help. But I do agree he is lovely where did you get him? Best of Luck.

Here is this just incase. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-archive/16170-list-betta-meds.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ners-read-melafix-alert-read-read-danger.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-archive/4846-pimafix.html

4. OP
    OP
    O

Omnis Potens New Member Member

thanks for the compliments. i actually got him from a friend as a present. don't know which store my friend got him from. anyways, i think i may have found out the problem. i caught the little guy biting his tail, twice...

5. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Your male is called a red devil.....The black around the edges is his coloring.....He has splits is all.....Keep his water clean and he should heal up just fine....

What do you have him in? What type of filter etc?

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!
    I agree with the others....its his coloring...but dont use salt with him and do a few water changes to get it all out of the tank

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  7. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Thanks MM and Shawnie for double checking that I was thinking it was his coloring.

8. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Very nice betta. I have nothing to add to the above advice, I'll just restate - no need for salt with him. Welcome to FL.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice