Betta fish fin problems Important

1. montyquill Initiate Member

HI my betta, Mimzy has a torn fin I think. The fin is still hanging on and the edges are red where i think it came off. I noticed the fin hanging this morning and changed his water before i went to work. i dont want it getting infected or anything and i was wondering if i should put aquarium salt in his tank. He is in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and i use either stress coat plus or prime water conditioner. i change his water once or twice a week and he is the only fish and the only plants he has are plastic. Here is a picture of the fin. Also i know he's a bit bloated but my sister fed him without soaking his pellets first.

Attached Files:

2. FiscCyning Member Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore. It looks like your betta probably has fin rot. The most important thing with fin rot is to keep his water perfectly clean with daily water changes. Fin rot usually occurs because of poor water quality, although he could have also torn his fins on some sharp tank decor and the fin rot set in from that. The plastic plants could have been the culprit here, since they have been known to tear betta fins.

Do you have a water test kit so you can share your water parameters? Most importantly right now are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you do not have a test kit, most fish stores will test your water for free if you bring in a sample.

A little more information about your tank will also help us to help you. How long has the tank been set up? When you do water changes, do you only change part of the water or all of it? Are you scrubbing out the tank when you clean it (which could kill the beneficial bacteria)? Also, do you know about the nitrogen cycle and is your tank cycled?

3. montyquill Initiate Member

I dont have a water test kit right now i flew home from school with him and . i normally do one partial and one full cleaning each week and i dont usually do haven been able to get a new one right now. i dont do a complete scrub down of his tank. i do know about the nitrogen cycle and his tank is cycled.

4. montyquill Initiate Member

Well the piece of fin that was hanging off has fallen off, im going to the store to get a new water test kit and aquarium salt and illl use stress coat plus to help with the fin regrowth.