10 Gallon Tank Betta fish fin loss of fin rot?

Caffee

TANK INFO
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: about 2.0ppm
Tank size: 10 gallons
Temp: depending on the time of day 77-79°
Planted?: yes, heavily
Heater?: yes
feeding: 3-4 pellets a day. Used to do bloodworms and such but he wont eat them anymore.

Hi all! My betta bear is a little over 3 years old and over the past 4 months his fins and overall well being has digressed. Hes gotten more lethargic, sleeping a lot more and is a lot skinnier (this is all expected with old age). The part thats concerning me is his fins. I expected his fins to tatter, but not this much and now im extremely concerned that it may be fin rot. Hes always been a fin biter, but i know this couldnt possible be his doing.

Im scared to medicate him as i know doing so might cause him to go into shock and pass away. He eats very well still, but he needs a lot of help getting his food because his fins are so depleted (and because his vision has gone too).

Attachments

• 6A6D1B31-F24A-430D-ABF5-384933E3F657.jpeg
    6A6D1B31-F24A-430D-ABF5-384933E3F657.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 13

Rose of Sharon

So sorry about your little boy!!!

He is a senior betta, too....you have given him a great little betta life! Great job!

Hmmm...everything that I can suggest is going to be stressful.

Aquarium salt baths will have you taking him out of the tank, so stressful.

Painting his fins with hydrogen peroxide will have you taking him out, so stressful.

Methylene blue dips - stressful.

And of course, meds will be stressful...

The only other things are frequent small water changes to keep his tank water pristine and adding Indian almond leaves to the tank for the tannins (really getting that water brown), but I fear that won't do a whole lot for his fins. It may help for a little while.

I know that this isn't a lot of help, but it's all of the ways to treat fin rot.

On a side note, you can soak his pellets in some garlic juice, if he will eat them, and that will give his immune system a boost. And garlic juice is used for picky eaters, too. You can buy a jar of cut up garlic at most grocery stores, and use the juice it is soaking in.

I hope he lives a lot longer, and that he gets better!!!!

Caffee

So sorry about your little boy!!!

He is a senior betta, too....you have given him a great little betta life! Great job!

Hmmm...everything that I can suggest is going to be stressful.

Aquarium salt baths will have you taking him out of the tank, so stressful.

Painting his fins with hydrogen peroxide will have you taking him out, so stressful.

Methylene blue dips - stressful.

And of course, meds will be stressful...

The only other things are frequent small water changes to keep his tank water pristine and adding Indian almond leaves to the tank for the tannins (really getting that water brown), but I fear that won't do a whole lot for his fins. It may help for a little while.

I know that this isn't a lot of help, but it's all of the ways to treat fin rot.

On a side note, you can soak his pellets in some garlic juice, if he will eat them, and that will give his immune system a boost. And garlic juice is used for picky eaters, too. You can buy a jar of cut up garlic at most grocery stores, and use the juice it is soaking in.

I hope he lives a lot longer, and that he gets better!!!!
Ive actually been using almond leaves since i first started to notice his old age catching up to him, i only removed them for a few days because he kept going underneath them and i was worried he was gonna get stuck

but ive also heard of adding watered down aquarium salt directly to the aquarium..? Do you think this would be too stressful?

Thank you for your reassurance and help though, sometimes i worry that i havent done enough for my boy so i appreciate it :)

Rose of Sharon

You can try a low dose of aquarium salt to your tank. I don't think it will be stressful for him at all, and it will help some. I would go ahead and follow the instructions on the package. That, along with the water changes, will help.

The thing to remember is that aquarium salt is only removed by doing water changes, so you will have to keep track of the amount of water you change in order to know how much salt you have removed. This is so you don't accidentally over dose him with aquarium salt.

I am sure that Bear will love the Indian almond leaves, so I would recommend putting them back in his tank.

For fin rot, my very first go-to's are always aquarium salt and water changes, and I always have Indian almond leaves in my tank (I like the water to be fairly dark brown). I am posting a pic so you can see what I mean. This pic was taken after a water change, so the water is usually a little darker than this.

1646156640598.png

FoldedCheese

How often do you do water changes and how much? Your nitrite should be 0 in a cycled tank so that is concerning that you have 2 ppm. That level is quite toxic. Did you mean nitrate?

Caffee

How often do you do water changes and how much? Your nitrite should be 0 in a cycled tank so that is concerning that you have 2 ppm. That level is quite toxic. Did you mean nitrate?
I do water changes usually 1-2 times a week taking about 1.5 gallons each time. And yes sorry! Mixed the two up by mistake.
You can try a low dose of aquarium salt to your tank. I don't think it will be stressful for him at all, and it will help some. I would go ahead and follow the instructions on the package. That, along with the water changes, will help.

The thing to remember is that aquarium salt is only removed by doing water changes, so you will have to keep track of the amount of water you change in order to know how much salt you have removed. This is so you don't accidentally over dose him with aquarium salt.

I am sure that Bear will love the Indian almond leaves, so I would recommend putting them back in his tank.

For fin rot, my very first go-to's are always aquarium salt and water changes, and I always have Indian almond leaves in my tank (I like the water to be fairly dark brown). I am posting a pic so you can see what I mean. This pic was taken after a water change, so the water is usually a little darker than this.

1646156640598.png
That’s definitely odd, how do you know when you have removed 100% of the aquarium salt before adding another batch?? Also im trying to get the water darker, for some reason it just wont get very dark. Ive added 4 almond leaves and it turned a very light brown but not much more.

Rose of Sharon

It takes a day or so for the tannins to get released when you put the Indian almond leaves right into the tank. You could also boil them, and make a tea of sorts, and add it after it cools. Over time, the water should turn darker, but you won't see that if you are doing frequent water changes.

I have really big leaves that I get from Amazon. I mean, they are giant! And I use about 4 or 5 of them in a 5 gallon tank, just to put it in perspective. They stay there for about 3 to 4 weeks. When they start breaking down too much, I change them out.

About aquarium salt - If you are supposed to add one tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon, and you do so, then if you change a gallon, you would only add back one tablespoon.

It's always a bit better to do under than over when dosing if you are unsure.

Once you are done with the treatment, then after a couple of big water changes, the aquarium salt will be gone.

If you want to try an antibiotic, you can also dose the tank. Just realize that it will kill off a lot of your beneficial bacteria. That's why it's always better to have something on hand to use as a hospital tank. Any container that is clean and can hold a decent amount of water will work. A lot of people use plastic totes. I have a big glass cookie jar that I use. Just add a small heater, a small air stone if circulation is needed, and clean tank water, and you are good to go. And your beneficial bacteria in your main tank is kept safe.

If he were mine, and I wanted to dose him with antibiotics, I would use a combination of kanaplex and Maracyn 2. That's 2 different antibiotics that do different things, but they are effective when used together.

Just some thoughts....

I do hope that he gets better....poor little Bear!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Caffee
Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
Replies
Views
Maryellen
Replies
Views