betta fish fin disease??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fishy5, Aug 2, 2015.

1. fishy5Valued MemberMember

Ok, so I'm visiting my friend and she has a  . I've visited three times since she's gotten the fish. First time: fish looks amazing. Perfect half moon shape, great personality. Second time: grew a little; fins looked curly at edges. Third time: fins still ragged, a few tiny chunks missing, and some red streaks.

Here is his information. (His name is Fred.) (the fish I mean.)

Housing
    What size is your tank? One gallon.
    What temperature is your tank? Don't know. The air can be 72-77.
    Does your tank have a filter? No.
    Does your tank have an  or other type of aeration? No.
    Is your tank heated? No.
    What tank mates does your betta fishlive with? None.

Food
    What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta bites by HBH and  (occasionally) by tetra.

How often do you feed your  ? Three pellets morning and night but she's cutting it down to two. Sometimes bloodworms replace or supplement meals.

Maintenance
    How often do you perform a water change? Once a week plus siphoning about a third of the water. Occasionally once every two weeks, with two siphons in between.
    What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100 percent. If siphoning, about a third.
    What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe.

Water Parameters:
    Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
    Nitrite: n/a
    Nitrate: n/a
    pH: n/a
    Hardness: n/a
    Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
    How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Raggedy fins.
    How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No huge changes. He eats like a pig. Maybe a little less active?
    When did you start noticing the symptoms? Umm.... Probably a month ago or so.
    Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
    Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
    How old is your fish (approximately)? My friend just got him in June. Idk. Maybe a year old or something.

I will try to post a pic if I can figure out how to. My friend really cares about her fish and keeps the water pristine. She's really worried and would be devastated if anything happened to him. Please help! Ps: we haven't seen him biting his fins; and he doesn't have stress stripes. Also he hasn't been brushing up against anything. Please no comments about upgrading to a bigger tank with a filter and heater. We just need advice on the disease and how to treat it.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

2. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Well, it might be more difficult to heal the fish and keep him healed up unless the tank is bigger, heated, and filtered, but let's try to work with what we've got.

Yes, a picture would be extremely helpful in this case. It could be fin rot, or he could be managing to tear his fins somewhere, even though you say you haven't seen him brushing against anything or biting his tail. My halfmoon had beautiful, full, flowing fins when I bought him, but now they look ragged, and I think it could be because he likes to sit on one particularly "sharp" or "rough" plant and squeeze himself into small spaces. It doesn't look like fin rot though, just tears.

For your friend, as of right now, I'd recommend keeping the water extremely clean to avoid the betta developing fin rot if he hasn't already, and to cure the fin rot if he has. Keeping the water pristine will be harder in such a small space and with no filter, but with vigilant water changing it could be done, imo.

I don't know what the red streaks could be from, can you test the water parameters?

Also, read this thread to find out how to post pictures: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/how-do-i/169875-how-attach-pictures-posts.html

3. fishy5Valued MemberMember

image.jpg Here is Fred's tail. In the background you can see the plant in question.

4. fishy5Valued MemberMember

Just wanted to add that the red you see close to his body is part of his natural coloring. Perhaps the red streaks developed as part of that.

as I look closer I actually think maybe the red went away.

5. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Well, if it's any comfort to you, my betta's fins are looking a bit more ragged than Fred's! Here's a before and after picture of mine:
    Before:

And after (right now):

Anyways, you might try taking out the plant that could be tearing the fins and replacing it with a silk plant. What about the water parameters?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  6. fishy5Valued MemberMember

Okay. We're going to siphon this afternoon and take out the poky plant and replace it with a silk one.

As as for water parameters, neither she nor I have a testing kit.

7. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Don't forget to prerinse the new silk one!

Is it possible for you to go somewhere to get the water tested?

8. fishy5Valued MemberMember

We did :) and actually I just got done with the tank. Took out all the plastic stuff and replaced them with silk.

I don't know where'd we go.

9. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

No LFS?

10. junebugFishlore LegendMember

The tank is the issue here. Bettas require at minimum 2.5 gallons, a filter, and a heater, along with weekly partial water changes.

If you have a petco or petsmart near you, they will test your water for free. It's a strip test, but better than nothing. Make them tell you the actual numbers (or alternatively show you the kit and the color chart). Do not let them tell you "it's fine". Fine is meaningless.

Look into upgrading that poor fish's tank ASAP. You can find a used kit tank on Craig's List for usually a fraction of the original price.

11. fishy5Valued MemberMember

There's a petsmart and petco. She said she might go over and get it tested.

12. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Remember to tell her to ask wherever she goes to get it tested what test kit the store uses. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice