Betta Fish Concerns

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kalexis1800, Apr 25, 2017.

1. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

Hello, I'm worried about my betta.
    To give some background, I'm a college student, so I have 2 tanks for my betta. This one is a 3.5 gallon and has a heater and a sponge filter. My issue with it is that the sponge filter I bought for it is too bubbly, and my betta struggles to swim. I also notice his poop more because I use sand, and I feel that the sponge filter doesn't properly clean the tank. In my second tank back home, it's either a 5 or 10 gallon. It has a mechanical filter also, and I use the heater from the other tank with that one. My issue with that tank is that the filter tends to also blow my betta away.

I also notice my betta is having finrot issues. I have a small tank back home that I may use a hospital for him and do water changes in that for right now.
    I also thought about getting rid of the 3.5 gallon and just using the 5 gallon as its square shape and gives my betta more room to move. Basically, I spent a lot of money on my betta, and I honestly just want to keep things simple. I'm tired of buying all this equipment and decorations when my betta is still suffering. Can some one recommend me a filter that's good for bettas with long fins too? Thanks. bba718623fc5c6d7a862338cf68f5de4.jpg

2. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Usually, sponge filters are recommended for Bettas with long fins since they are most gentle.

Some Bettas like to "play" in the bubbles and get blown around by them. If he's having problems swimming in it I'm led to believe he's having other issues, especially since you think he's developing fin rot.

I would leave him in the 3.5 gallon for now as there's no reason to move him to a smaller tank that would cause more harm than good. You will need to test the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and post the results so we can truly help. Is the tank cycled?

3. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

That's the thing, his fins are long so I'm lead to believe that it's too turbulent for him.
    And how do I test the water? Do I have to buy the 30 dollar kit from petco?

4. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

It's cheaper on Amazon, called the API Master Test Kit, goes for about $22 - $23. And yes, you have to buy it to ensure the water parameters are normal.

And secondly, sponge filters are the best filter for long-fin bettas. It's known to be extremely gentle on their fins, and I doubt that a long-fin betta, even a halfmoon, would be unable to swim in that current. It's definitely something else going on with the fins, not the filter, like @greenbonsai said above. If else, I don't know, the only way would be to go filterless - but I don't recommend this route at all, since all fish require a filter.

Could you give us a more clear picture of your Betta so we can see if it's fin better? Also, do you have any plastic decorations? That may be causing the fin to tear. Otherwise, it's the ammonia levels.

5. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

It would be wise to get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit for yourself, but if funds are low at the moment you can take a water sample to Petco and they'll test it for free. Just make sure you get the actual numbers of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in ppm (parts per million) as well as the PH from them. Often they'll just say things like, "it's ok" or "it's safe" when in fact it's not.

If you're tank is not cycled yet then I really suggest you buy the test kit, because you should be testing your water daily and that will be many trips to Petco!

Please read up on the nitrogen cycle: Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

6. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

I'll purchase that this week then. I keep saying the filter because the air pump I have doesn't allow me to make the flow less hectic for my betta. He usually hangs in his rock which made me think the filter is too powerful for him, I could be wrong though and you both are probably right. I do have a plastic plant in there, which is the red thing. I'm unhappy with the tank design too, I keep buying decorations and I noticed some of them could possibly scratch his fins. I'll take his decorations out. I'll send a better picture of him when I get back home. Also, I noticed poop in his tank, how do you recommend I go about cleaning it?

7. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

I might just buy the kit this week and save the extra trips there.

8. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Get a siphon, like the Aqueon Mini Siphon. It's easier to clean with that :)

About the rock, some bettas are just like that. Some just like to zoom around like a maniac, crashing into whatever plants you have, and some just like to chill out on a plant and be really lazy. Your betta is probably one of those more "chill" bettas (which apparently most long-tailed ones are), and I don't think it's due to the current, just to his personality.

9. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

Also do guys think I should just use the 5 gallon tank instead? It's annoying using two tanks.

10. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Easiest method of cleaning the poops are either using a turkey baster, if you have one around to sacrifice, or an aquarium vacuum/siphon.

I personally got the Python brand vacuum siphon and vacuum them up during my weekly 25-30% water changes and love it. Kills two birds with one stone.

11. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

I think I have that siphon! I kinda dislike because I have a hard time getting the poop out from the sand. And I'm glad my bettas behavior is normal. I call him a special fish because he's always swimming on his side.

12. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

You'll want to keep him in the 3.5g since it's closest to a full nitrogen cycle I'd imagine. Did you read up on that?

You can cycle the 5g without him (fishless cycle) and once it's fully cycled that would be the ideal home for him. Not only is more room for him beneficial, it's much easier to control the water quality the larger the tank is. There are many threads on how to cycle a tank without a fish in it or you can start your own fishless cycle thread if you wish and we will do our best to help you through it. Basically, since there won't be a fish in the tank you will need to provide the source of ammonia, so that the BB(beneficial bacteria) can grow. You will also need the test kit for this process.

13. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Do you have a better picture of just the fish and his fins?

14. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

Here's a better pic 026b2d1ac63e55285871476ef81689a2.jpg

15. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Thank you. Those fins require medicine, not just water changes. Cheapest way to go is Jungle Fungus Clear Fizz Tabs available at Walmart. (Cheap by not ineffective. Same meds as API Furan-2) Of course you will still need to do water changes.

16. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

Thanks! I have that but I'm not sure how to use it. Right now I have my other 5 gallon tank, it had a filter and etc, no water in it. I was going to put the betta in that tank, but I may cycle it before doing so. My question is should I use the jungle fizz in his tank now? The tank I have now has a sponge filter and is a 3.5 gallon with sand and a heater.

17. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Does it look like one of my betta tanks? If so, you have 3 gallons of water in it if filled all the ways. What do the dosing instructions say? (I have Furan-2, not Jungle Fungus Clear)

Attached Files:

18. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

It looks exactly like that! I usually cut the tab in half or 4ths. Also I love your design, I'm having the hardest time picking out the decorations and substrate for my tank.

19. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I'm guessing the whole tablet is for 10 gallons. If so, use 1/4. Are water changes allowed during treatment? I really need to go buy some of this just so I know. lol
    I can tell everyone 1/8 of a teaspoon of Furan-2 for 3 gallons but most people have the Jungle Fungus Clear.

20. kalexis1800Valued MemberMember

It's not near me at the moment, but I think the whole tablet is for 10 gallons like you said. Should I do it in my current tank with the sponge filter?
    Also how do you clean your substrate?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice