Betta Fish Compatibility

  • Thread starter

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,339
Points
148
Experience
1 year
i’m sure this has need asked a 100 times in the past and i’m sorry i’m Too lazy to go back and look but here’s the question.

I have a 36 gallon tank stocked with 7 zebra danios, 3 platys, 3 mollies, one guppy and 6 Cory’s.

Would a male Betta fit into this group?

Just curious since I want to add another element to the tank.

Had terrible luck with Berta’s 40 years ago but the science has evolved since then and there are so many more tools to manage water quality these days.
 

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
525
Points
118
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hunter1 said:
i’m sure this has need asked a 100 times in the past and i’m sorry i’m Too lazy to go back and look but here’s the question.

I have a 36 gallon tank stocked with 7 zebra danios, 3 platys, 3 mollies, one guppy and 6 Cory’s.

Would a male Betta fit into this group?

Just curious since I want to add another element to the tank.

Had terrible luck with Berta’s 40 years ago but the science has evolved since then and there are so many more tools to manage water quality these days.
It's very dependent on the betta really, I have 6, all with completely different personalities. There shouldnt be any issues with the danios, and cories as they are duller looking, short finned fish, and I don't see there being a huge issue with mollies or platys, people will often say no to keeping bettas with guppies due to their bright colors and bigger fins, but there is really no set rules when it comes to stocking, what works for some may or may not work for others. You can definitely give it a try, I am thinking it will most likely work out, but if not, setup a nice 5 gallon, and your betta will have a perfect home.
 

Sina-key

Well Known Member
Messages
545
Reaction score
150
Points
63
I think betta isn’t temperature compatible with danios also zebras usually live in the same level as betta and their zippy nature might stress betta so I wouldn’t do it
 

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,464
Reaction score
2,251
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have livebearers, you really shouldn't house a betta with them. They are too colorful and their activity level is too stressful for the betta. Activity issues go for the danios as well, as they tend to be very fast-moving.

You might be able to get away with a DG in your tank, assuming you get a nice one.
 

johnbetta

Well Known Member
Messages
784
Reaction score
238
Points
78
Experience
More than 10 years
is your guppy a male male fighters will attack male guppys with long fins
 

TheCrazyFishGuy

Well Known Member
Messages
707
Reaction score
216
Points
63
Experience
2 years
johnbetta said:
is your guppy a male male fighters will attack male guppys with long fins
Yes he said it was a male
 

TheCrazyFishGuy

Well Known Member
Messages
707
Reaction score
216
Points
63
Experience
2 years
I’m not sure, you may want to try putting the Berta where it can see, but not come in contact with the other fish just to see if it tries to go after the fish. I tried this with my 2 female bettas, but they would just try to get at the fish through the glass
 

Prism

Well Known Member
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
533
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
First thing, this tank has some stocking issues.
Mainly the mollies are pushing it.

A betta couldn't be kept in this tank with all the fish.
If you want a betta, rehome most of the fish..

After that, maybe you could upgrade your cory.
Possibly get a top dweller. (depending on betta)
 

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
525
Points
118
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sina-key said:
I think betta isn’t temperature compatible with danios also zebras usually live in the same level as betta and their zippy nature might stress betta so I wouldn’t do it
I believe danios can be kept at lower temperatures safely, but I think they do ok at up to 75, and sometimes up to 78 for breeding. I would think they probably do ok at tropical temps because I'm sure most pet stores probably keep them at those temps? Surely larger chain stores, like petsmart and petco do, I personally don't buy my fish there aside for the bettas I feel sad for, and I'm sure even most lfs probably are not keeping them at optimal.
 

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
525
Points
118
Experience
5 to 10 years
junebug said:
If you have livebearers, you really shouldn't house a betta with them. They are too colorful and their activity level is too stressful for the betta. Activity issues go for the danios as well, as they tend to be very fast-moving.

You might be able to get away with a DG in your tank, assuming you get a nice one.
I've kept a betta in a tank similar to this one and he did great! I know this definitely doesn't happen all the time, but if the op really wants a betta, I don't think it would hurt to try, and bettas are so easy and cheap to house, so if it didn't go perfect the op would just have to make sure he's committed to the betta and able to possibly setup a 5 gallon just in case. I'm sure some bettas would be rather unhappy in this environment, but if he can find one that's more relaxed I think it would work out. Mine was very "chill" haha, never flaring at anything, not even other bettas when he saw some of my other guys.
 

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,464
Reaction score
2,251
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
Reeferxbetta said:
I've kept a betta in a tank similar to this one and he did great! I know this definitely doesn't happen all the time, but if the op really wants a betta, I don't think it would hurt to try, and bettas are so easy and cheap to house, so if it didn't go perfect the op would just have to make sure he's committed to the betta and able to possibly setup a 5 gallon just in case. I'm sure some bettas would be rather unhappy in this environment, but if he can find one that's more relaxed I think it would work out. Mine was very "chill" haha, never flaring at anything, not even other bettas when he saw some of my other guys.
How long did this tank last?

Most betta communities don't last for the fish's entire lives, unless they are properly set up. Bettas don't get along with active, colorful fish. Just because they don't attack doesn't mean they're not stressed.
 

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,741
Reaction score
2,468
Points
448
Experience
2 years
The betta needs warmer water than the zebra danios, so it's definitely a no on the betta. What type of mollies (sailfin or P. sphenops) and cories do you have?
 

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
525
Points
118
Experience
5 to 10 years
junebug said:
How long did this tank last?

Most betta communities don't last for the fish's entire lives, unless they are properly set up. Bettas don't get along with active, colorful fish. Just because they don't attack doesn't mean they're not stressed.
My betta did very well, no signs of stress at all! Kept it for about a year, the only reason I moved the betta out was becuase I found an old 5 gallon in my closet, and I wanted to have more tanks, so I went for a betta/snail tank. I agree and disagree with what you're saying, yes it may not work for everyone, but with enough research, precision, and the right personalities it can work just fine. I was talking to another member recently who has like 18 bettas in a tank, and they all do well… it's really dependent on a lot of factors, I certianly wouldn't suggest a beginner try something like that. When I did a betta community I was not a beginner, it was after quite a bit of experience with bettas (have had one pretty much all my life) and other tropical fish, I now just have my big reef tank, and my 6 bettas (all in separate tanks).
 

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,464
Reaction score
2,251
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
Reeferxbetta that member has them in a densely planted 75 gallon tank if I recall. Not a standard setup at all, it's a harem tank. He also didn't come to fishlore to ask how to set it up prior to doing so.

Advising people that it's okay just because you or another member had a tank that worked for a few months or years or whatever it happens to be is not a good idea. Especially as we have no way of knowing the skill level of the fishkeeper. Generally if someone is relying on others to tell them it's okay, they likely lack the experience necessary to make such a setup work.

As it stands, you have no idea if your setup would have worked long-term because you moved your betta out. As a general rule, bettas, even females, do not like brightly colored, hyperactive fish like livebearers. I'm sure there are occasional bettas that genuinely don't seem to mind, but for that one betta every once in a while, there are a thousand that won't tolerate any colorful fish around them. I had two baby betta females in a community tank for exactly one day while I set up a new tank for them, and it contained male livebearers as well as females. Even as babies, the females killed a male endler and maimed another one that eventually died. This is most often the case with bettas in a standard community.

I'm not saying you can't keep a betta in a community tank. It can, has, and will continue to be done. What I am saying is that it's not for beginners, not for everyone, and tankmates must be chosen with care.

What people tend to forget or gloss over when it comes to fancy bettas is that this was one of the first fish kept in captivity, and they have been bred for hundreds of years for two things: Aggression and finnage. The excess finnage (which comes with those bright colors that make them so attractive) makes them a target for other fish, and usually the long-finned bettas are too slow to get away if this happens. The aggression makes them turn on other fish, even if things have been going fine for months or even years. Once a betta hits its breaking point, if it can kill the other fish, it will.

Good tankmates for bettas (the ones that will tolerate tankmates anyway) include small, inherently peaceful rasboras, a few types of bottom dwellers that won't get in the bettas' way, and the occasional fish of the same size of the betta, that is completely peaceful. Another good option is to keep them in a biotope setup with fish that are found alongside wild betta splendens. I had a very nice rice paddy biotope at one point that housed a single male betta, a group of sparkling gouramis, and some shrimp and snails. The tank lasted about a year and probably would have lasted longer were it not for mycobacteria wiping everything out. But I don't know for sure this would have been the case, because the tank had to be broken down.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,252
Reaction score
11,033
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought my ears were ringing. Lol. Bettas in any community tank is a big maby. Definatly no bright or fast swimming fish. Even bottom dwellers may or maynot be safe.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,252
Reaction score
11,033
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
I Definatly wouldn't recommend my setup to anybody. Lol.
 

pacmanfrog404

Valued Member
Messages
82
Reaction score
21
Points
28
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm no expert but I will say that I see a number of lfs and fishrooms with a single betta in a community tank. If you go down that road don't go for a crowntail or something with long fins because that's an easy target. Koi bettas and short finned types should get along decent. Good luck.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,252
Reaction score
11,033
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
My butterfly tail male keeps right up with the girls.
 

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,464
Reaction score
2,251
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
Off topic, but butterfly and koi are color patterns, not tail types.

A plakat or female betta is a slightly better choice, because they aren't held back by their fins. But it's still risky.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,252
Reaction score
11,033
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
junebug said:
Off topic, but butterfly and koi are color patterns, not tail types.

A plakat or female betta is a slightly better choice, because they aren't held back by their fins. But it's still risky.
I learn new stuff everyday. Lol
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom