How long has the tank been running?
A little over a year
Does it have a filter?
Yes, an Aqueon quite flow 15
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
~78*F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
The Betta that I have had for a little over a year and a single zebra nerite that I have had for a little over a year
Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once a week, every day since the injury occurred
How much of the water do you change?
Usually about 30%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I gravel vacuum every time

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API Liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once a day, I fast him once a week
How much do you feed your fish?
5 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Omega
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Occasionally, not really recently

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
A little over a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
August 10th
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Deep cut on the left side, Wound began to turn white. A few days ago I noticed that the wound has begun to grow. Slight belly swelling but that has gone down since yesterday.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
API Fin and Body Cure and API Melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No, however he has a habit of fin nipping
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Yesterday I noticed stress stripes while I was doing a water change. After I was done they dimmed but are still slightly visible

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
One night when feeding I noticed that my poor little betta fish had a deep gash. I immediately did a large water change and then started dosing API Fin and Body Cure in conjunction with Melafix. I've kept this up since then and am starting to get worried. The wound has turned a waxy white, not fuzzy, and has begun to get bigger wrapping around his underside. At first the wound was contained to just the left side. In addition his belly has started to swell a little bit. I did not feed yesterday and the swelling has gone down. Also he now has some faint stress lines that get more visible when I do a water change.

I have attached a picture. The lights are currently being kept off right now to limit possible stress, I just had them on to take a picture

Attachments

pongoandfriends22

Valued Member
Reaction score
First question.
Do you use fake or live plants?
If you use live then that’s great but if you use fake you should use silk not plastic as it can rip the scales off, cut the fish, or even tear fins.
Do you have any sharp rocks in the tank?
This could have cut the Betta and it didn’t heal properly which may have caused an infection to form or even a fungus.
Inside the white is it still deep?
This could indicate that it was a non-healing lesion formed by parasites, it could be hole in the head disease, and most of all could be a tumor.
Do you know the type of Betta you have?
Dragon scales tend to be prone to tumors.

OP
A

Adamite

Reaction score
I use real plants. This betta likes to dart around the tank a lot and we think he darted straight up against a piece of driftwood which has since been removed.

All rocks are smooth and rounded.

The wound is set in, it's not as deep as the original injury but it's still set in deeper than the healthy tissue.

He was sold by petco as a dragon scale, but he is in no way a dragon scale as he lacks the face scales.

pongoandfriends22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well he may not be full dragonscale but a partial one. He could have mixed genes in him which honestly would give him a double wammie when it healing. Look into the dragonscale breed just to be sure though.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you try to post more photos? I believe I see more than just an injury here. It looks to me like his tail is super rough and to me looks like fin rot. He also looks super bloated to me. Then the issues on his side.

I definitely think there is something fungal or bacterial going on here. I'd probably start by treating him for a bacterial issue. Make sure you research all treatments and make sure they're safe for the snail, if not you may want to put him in a hospital tank and treat him alone.

I'd probably be inclined to up your water changes to more frequent as well. This will help encourage healing and fin regrowth

As for type he doesn't look dragon scale to me, does look like a halfmoon/rosetail tho.

OP
A

Adamite

Reaction score
I won't be home until later tonight. There is no fin rot he just fin nips when he's stressed out. As for the type he is, petco in all their wisdom determines that a dragon scale betta is determined by the tail shape for some reason. It's definitely looking bacterial to me because the wound is not fuzzy looking. As for the snail I can move it to another tank if the medicine I use is non invert safe.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I won't be home until later tonight. There is no fin rot he just fin nips when he's stressed out. As for the type he is, petco in all their wisdom determines that a dragon scale betta is determined by the tail shape for some reason. It's definitely looking bacterial to me because the wound is not fuzzy looking. As for the snail I can move it to another tank if the medicine I use is non invert safe.
I would be really concerned with him nipping his own tail that much honestly. Hopefully getting a bacterial treatment going can help!

As for petsmart *insert eyeroll here* they labeled a gorgeous koi halfmoon male betta as a crowntail LOL! Lucky me tho I got him for like $5 since bettas were on sale and crowntails are cheap! Normally they're like $20-30

pongoandfriends22

Valued Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the best idea at this point. It’s always good to monitor them in a hospital tank to treat them separately as other fish or inverts who aren’t hurt can be affected badly by the constant medications.

OP
A

Adamite

Reaction score
Luckily his ventrical fins are already growing back in. I'm thinking since I've not seen any results from Fin and Body Cure I'm going to try E.M. Erythromycin. Should I also continue melafix with it? I've also seen people using Api Stress Coat to help with body wounds. I also don't want to flood the tank with meds.

OP
A

Adamite

Reaction score
Here is an additional picture. When I got home I noticed him at the bottom of the tank. I did a large water change, refilled the tank to a lower level, and began using E.M. Erythromycin. He is far more lethargic than before. He also seems to be pine coning so the infection might be internal and too late to help.

Attachments

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aww bless him. Yes, it looks like he is getting some dropsy going there. That is usually caused by a bacteria so definitely keep on top of the antibiotics. If he gets worse instead of better it may be time to look into humane euthanasia.

OP
A

Adamite

Reaction score
Triton didn't make it through the night. Thank you to everyone who tried to help out. I really appreciate it. Going forward, should I break down the tank and bleach dip the plants just in case something nasty is lurking in the water?

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would definitely start from scratch on the tank. Toss any media and bleach the decor and filter.

I’m sorry you lost him...

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 64 66.7%

Top Bottom