Betta Fish Beginner

Jlsmith80

Reaction score
i boutght a 2.5 gallon Betta tank with small filter for my son. Put water and conditioner for Berta’s in the water filled it let it cycle had a heater set at 78. Let cycle for 24 hours. Bought fish let bag sit for hour two days later fish was dead what did I do wrong?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank was not cycled and leaving him in the bag for an hour like that probably resulted in a high level of oxygen depletion.

Jlsmith80

Reaction score
The tank was not cycled and leaving him in the bag for an hour like that probably resulted in a high level of oxygen depletion.
How long should tank cycle. He was in a bowl from pet store I let it float

How long should tank cycle. He was in a bowl from pet store I let it float
Any other thoughts or do’s and dont’s

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any other thoughts or do’s and dont’s
If you can get a bigger tank that would be ideal (not the cuase the the betta died), as 2.5 gal is really not good for any fish at all. I also use Seachem Prime as my water conditioner.

Here's a link for nitrogen cycle

Bettas are hardy fish though so it can also be that the fish was already sick to begin with.
This forum is great and helped me a lot. Good Luck!

Jlsmith80

Reaction score
What did I do wrong do you have a heater. I have well water but conditioned it should I use distilled water.

What did I do wrong I have well water but treated it. Should I use distilled water. Do you have a heater. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abby565

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well water is fine. You do need a heater.
The problem was that cycling a tank takes weeks, not a few hours. The ammonia levels rose quickly in such a small tank and killed the fish.

Mr.Mang09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What you did wrong was you didn’t cycle the tank properly. Just letting the water sit in the tank for 24 hours isn’t cycling. You need to add an ammonia source( bottled ammonia) as a food source for the bacteria to grow.Cyclig takes 4 -6 weeks

FishL:))

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello @Jlsmith80!

With your size of tank you need to make sure you change it more often than a bigger aquarium to keep your water parameters at safe levels. I would read up on the nitrogen cycle that one of the members posted, and then give it another try!
Bettas are so much fun, and reallllly cute!!

Best of luck.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well water is fine. You do need a heater.
The problem was that cycling a tank takes weeks, not a few hours. The ammonia levels rose quickly in such a small tank and killed the fish.
This is what I meant by bigger tank can be better, on such a small tank and not cycled water parameters can swing very fast and can be harmful to fish, specially when you accidentally overfeed.

Jlsmith80

Reaction score
i boutght a 2.5 gallon Betta tank with small filter for my son. Put water and conditioner for Berta’s in the water filled it let it cycle had a heater set at 78. Let cycle for 24 hours. Bought fish let bag sit for hour two days later fish was dead what did I do wrong?
Letting it cycle longer will keep ammonia levels down.

Mr.Mang09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes it will keep the ammonia levels low if you cycle correctly. But it won’t cycle unless you start the cycle. I would suggest following instructions on a fishless cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom