Betta Fish At Walmart Today

Lonnie
Today I visited my local Walmart. Went to look at the tropical fish. Noticed there where about 10 betta cups on the shelf. They were all males. The water in the cups was so dirty that I could not tell the color of the fish. I am not exaggerating. Tomorrow I think I will go back and buy the cup with the worst water condition. Had wanted to buy a female, because I thought they would be the last picked. But this Walmart is not carrying females at the moment.

75g Discus Tank
Don’t buy any bettas.
This will encourage more bettas to be purchased and have more fish be put in danger.

goldface
Be a hero. Buy them all. There is no price on life.

FlipFlopFishFlake
I always think of the story with the man and the starfish, where a small child asks an elderly man why he walks along the shoreline throwing in stranded starfish, as he has no chance of saving them all or fixing the problem, and the man replied, "I made a difference for this one as he threw it back into the ocean" While in the grand scheme you are just causing a replacement (which would be sold or die anyway, no matter if you buy it or not) you made a difference in the life of that one fish.
I am not trying to start conflict, just my opinion. I am sure there might be something wrong with my logic, but it is what it is.

Sanderguy777
If I had the money I would pay Walmart to hire people who CARE about animals... But alas, all I can do is buy as many as possible and save the ones who live...

FlipFlopFishFlake
If I had the money I would pay Walmart to hire people who CARE about animals... But alas, all I can do is buy as many as possible and save the ones who live...
Exactly. In my opinion you shouldn't be selling fish with guns, toilet paper, and children's pajamas.

Katie13
See about getting them at a discount or ranting as well.

goldface
I always think of the story with the man and the starfish, where a small child asks an elderly man why he walks along the shoreline throwing in stranded starfish, as he has no chance of saving them all or fixing the problem, and the man replied, "I made a difference for this one as he threw it back into the ocean" While in the grand scheme you are just causing a replacement (which would be sold or die anyway, no matter if you buy it or not) you made a difference in the life of that one fish.
I am not trying to start conflict, just my opinion. I am sure there might be something wrong with my logic, but it is what it is.
Great analogy!

r5n8xaw00
What burns my buns... There are laws on mistreating animals like dogs, cats, and monkeys... but no laws on mistreating pet fish for sale by a retail store like Walmart.

To qualify what I am saying. It is one thing to bring home fish by someone who wants to take care of them, and is learning about the hobby when fish die, at least they are trying to provide for them. It is a whole different story when a retail store like Walmart that puts them up for sale then neglects them and they die.

Lunnietic
I brought my betta from walmart. I don't regret it. I snag her up shortly after the truck arrived with her on it. I don't regret it in the least. She is my absolute favorite.

I got to meet the manager of that department. She doesn't know much about fish keeping herself, but I got to teach her a few pointers. She now doesn't keep the snails in the cups, because of tge advise I gave her. The mystery snails now live in the tanks with guppies or small tetras. She was amazed at how much happier the snails seemed.

Sometimes educating the staff is worth while. Other times...you are just wasting your breath.

Algonquin
I agree with Fishflake. If you buy one, they will replace it. If you don't buy one, and it dies, they will replace it. I would pick one and do your best to save it, or at least give it a chance at a decent life.
Having said that, I would also speak to the store manager and make your concerns known. I would guess the poor conditions are due to ignorance, not evil intent. Follow up with a thoughtful but pointed letter/email to the store on the conditions that their fish are being kept in, and the harm it is doing to the fish. Check back at the store in a few weeks and see if they've made any noticeable changes in how they keep their fish. Just a thought. It might make a difference, you never know unless you try!

Rojer Ramjet
Exactly. In my opinion you shouldn't be selling fish with guns, toilet paper, and children's pajamas.
Why not?

motherofbettas

Just my two cents: I believe that selling fish in a large sale "convenience store" would heighten impulse buying which leads to not researching their new pet, which ends in death, which ends in buying another one as a replacement which can lead to a "demand" which causes overbreeding and health defects from the suppliers.

Also, the people who work at Walmart often are not educated properly themselves to help the new owners which causes the fish to live in miserable conditions/ and or aren't paid enough to care.

Better Petsmart or Petco than Walmart imo at least you have more options to upgrade the tanks and a better chance of getting someone who remotely knows what they are talking about; not that you can't rescue from Walmart or have a great Betta from there, but the general theme seems to be poorly cared for fish in awful conditions.

CanadianFishFan
Buy at lower price and scream at the walmart manger to not sell fish, they end

Rojer Ramjet
Your complaints about Walmart selling fish could be made by anyone, about any business, regardless of the type.

I don't go to the home Depot for electrical advice - I don't even expect that the 23 year old girl who works stocking the electrical department shelves will even know the names of the parts she's holding in her hand, let alone what they're used for...

But there's foolish people who impulsively buy anything - everything; doesn't make Walmart it home Depot bad for catering to them.

Goldiemom
I'm so glad that my Super Walmart doesn't sell fish. I would make a fool of myself. Already did that at the pharmacy one day...don't want to be kicked out for good.

Rojer Ramjet
For what it's worth, I've been "banned and barred" from my local Walmart after I called animal control over the state of their aquariums.

Goldiemom
Rojer Ramjet - I just busted out laughing in my office over your reply. People are coming out of their own offices and peeking in to see if I'm crying or laughing.

CanadianFishFan
Your complaints about Walmart selling fish could be made by anyone, about any business, regardless of the type.

I don't go to the home Depot for electrical advice - I don't even expect that the 23 year old girl who works stocking the electrical department shelves will even know the names of the parts she's holding in her hand, let alone what they're used for...

But there's foolish people who impulsively buy anything - everything; doesn't make Walmart it home Depot bad for catering to them.
but live animals are different and need KNOWLEDGE and care

CanadianFishFan
For what it's worth, I've been "banned and barred" from my local Walmart after I called animal control over the state of their aquariums.
#bannedbyWalmart

Goldiemom
Hey Rojer, I bet if you wear your pajamas to Walmart they will let you in.

motherofbettas

Well I wouldn't really call them complaints, since they are mostly facts ‍♀️ but ok.
I understand exactly what you are saying, but wouldn't you agree that if Walmart stopped carrying live animals it would cut down on the impulse buying?

Also I would venture to point out that the difference is a Home Depot costumer usually doesn't walk through the electrical aisle and go, "Awwww, it's so CUTE! I gotta bring it home with me!!"

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm enjoying our conversation especially since you're able to provide me new angles out to me I wouldn't normally consider

Rojer Ramjet
but live animals are different and need KNOWLEDGE and care
As a Master Electrician, I'd rather people impulsively purchased horses and cattle than circuit breakers and switches - less chance of killing a PERSON, ya know?

I grew up on a cattle and alfalfa ranch; we respected our livestock - but it's just that, STOCK. Property. My opinion is "if I can buy it and sell it - and slaughter it whenever I see fit; I can pretty much do anything I want with it." I might punch you in the mouth if I see you slapping your horse, but I'm not going to deny it's your right to do it.

I'm just going to punch you in the mouth, ya know? lol

...I understand exactly what you are saying, but wouldn't you agree that if Walmart stopped carrying live animals it would cut down on the impulse buying?

Perhaps, and perhaps not; I'm not convinced that Walmart makes profit off their livestock - I'm pretty sure it's a "loss leader" most of the time, and "found money" the rest. They do sell outrageous amounts of food can chemicals, however; without the livestock, I doubt they'd sell as much.

Also I would venture to point out that the difference is a Home Depot costumer usually doesn't walk through the electrical aisle and go, "Awwww, it's so CUTE! I gotta bring it home with me!!"

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm enjoying our conversation especially since you're able to provide me new angles out to me I wouldn't normally consider

Obviously you've never been in the electrical isle on Saturday morning... Especially when the Despot (no misspelling) has bathroom vanity and dining room light fixtures on sale...

motherofbettas
Perhaps, and perhaps not; I'm not convinced that Walmart makes profit off their livestock - I'm pretty sure it's a "loss leader" most of the time, and "found money" the rest. They do sell outrageous amounts of food can chemicals, however; without the livestock, I doubt they'd sell as much.

Obviously you've never been in the electrical isle on Saturday morning... Especially when the Despot (no misspelling) has bathroom vanity and dining room light fixtures on sale...

I agree I think it's more of chain thing; the customer sees a cute fish; then they have to buy the fish, and the bowl, and the food, and the net, and the rocks, and the decor...while it may not be their biggest money maker it still ends up going from 5$ for a fish to 25/30$ total when all is said and done.

Hahahahahhaha I laughed out loud. guess where I'm going to be next Saturday with some popcorn??

Rojer Ramjet
Hahahahahhaha I laughed out loud. guess where I'm going to be next Saturday with some popcorn??

If you're really lucky, they'll have a "kids activity" at the same time you're there... It's truly.. cringe-worthy.. to watch those little kids swing hammers under the watchful eye of a 3 week veteran of the construction supply industry... Some of the "electrical advice" I've heard given out actually caused me to interrupt the presenter and give correct information - no, you don't use one knuckle on one finger to create a circuit so you can tell if a 120V circuit is live... Seriously, I heard a guy tell a bunch of women that - I showed them where to find a "tick tracer" so they could tell if the circuit was live without touching it...

Lonnie
#bannedbyWalmart

That is interesting! I hope you are not really banned.

Went to Walmart after work last night. All of their betta fish were gone. I have a feeling that management got rid of them.

Rojer Ramjet
I really was, back in October. I brought Placer county animal control in, showed em around, and was accosted by the store manager and "district manager" on the way out; given a "ban and bar" letter.

As a stockholder (off duty job when I was in the army -put my pay into stock), I called investor relations and raised a stick; neither work for Walmart anymore, and I'm in settlement negotiations with their attorneys - I was made a public spectacle by their behavior, and I want a dollar in compensation and a public apology...

They've offered a substantial sum in settlement, but no apology, so, I'm moving forward.

motherofbettas
Went to Walmart after work last night. All of their betta fish were gone. I have a feeling that management got rid of them.

Hopefully people were complaining but most likely the fish all died, if the conditions were as bad as you described

CanadianFishFan
no not me but I would if canada had fish at walmart

Aqua Hands
I made a Change. org petitions but Mods have taken down the post . So I don't thing I can link it again.
Note to Mods: I'm not trying to be rude just explaining back story.
Any ways, I hate the fact wal-mart still has fish. I actually got mine to give up the Fish Department. They only sell dry goods now.

CanadianFishFan
I made a Change. org petitions but Mods have taken down the post . So I don't thing I can link it again.
Note to Mods: I'm not trying to be rude just explaining back story.
Any ways, I hate the fact wal-mart still has fish. I actually got mine to give up the Fish Department. They only sell dry goods now.
Same many years ago we had fish but that now stopped and they only have the dry goods.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CheshireKat
Replies
Views
Justkeepswimming01
Replies
Views
nmwierman1977
Replies
Views