Betta Fish And Proper Ph 7.0

Daisy7216

My boyfriend recently took his water for his betta to petsmart, and as always, petsmart had to sell him something, and of course he bought it. He came home and dosed the tank with proper PH 7.0 without me knowing. I'm not sure if the dosing was correct, but I would assume he read the directions. When I saw the salt I warned him to maybe not dose the tank all at once, but he had already done it. I'm now sitting with his fish that has clamped fins, and is tipping on her side a bit. The top of the water has a slime coat, a thick one that is not usually present. Her filter is not the best, and I'm going to make him buy a new one tomorrow. The whole tank is WHITE. It's a 5 gal and I can't see the filter on the other side. I know the water is supposed to get cloudy, but I feel like this is just plain wrong. And that slime coat is reallll thick and forms in under an hour. I'm sitting here at 2 am ready to stay up with this fish all night, but I want to know if anyone else has had this experience with proper ph and if something really is going wrong. I can't find anything online about proper ph creating a slime like coat. The water looks much cloudier in person than in the photos, when I look at it with a naked eye I can not see the filter in the back

david1978

Was there a problem or was the stuff added just because petsmart said to?

JamieLu

My ph is 8.2 and my betta has been good for 3yrs. I would start doing multiple small water changes to get that out of there, tho I would worry about swinging the ph tto much

Fanatic

I also have a high pH that sits around 8.4 in the tanks, it's not much of a concern once you've acclimated your fish to your water chemistry, don't try to change the natural pH unless it is swinging frequently, or if it was too low.

Is your tank cycled? The whiteness is caused by a bacterial bloom which occurs either during a cycle or showing that your tank is not cycled.
The film on the surface is biofilm which is caused by a lack of surface agitation, and better filter flow will solve this issue.

Daisy7216

Fanatic said:
I also have a high pH that sits around 8.4 in the tanks, it's not much of a concern once you've acclimated your fish to your water chemistry, don't try to change the natural pH unless it is swinging frequently, or if it was too low.

Is your tank cycled? The whiteness is caused by a bacterial bloom which occurs either during a cycle or showing that your tank is not cycled.
The film on the surface is biofilm which is caused by a lack of surface agitation, and better filter flow will solve this issue.
I can tell you that the whiteness was definitly from the proper PH. Her tank has been running with her for about 5 months and she was doing fine. We actually did a deep clean to get rid of the debris left from the proper PH. I personally would have never dosed her tank in the first place, it was my boyfriend who is very new to the hobby, and he did it before I could tell him otherwise. (This betta was his first fish) she has dropsy and it's pretty bad, but we are treating with kanaplex and doing epsom salt baths. My boyfriend has definitely learned his listen to not listen to the people at petsmart.

david1978 said:
Was there a problem or was the stuff added just because petsmart said to?
She was lethargic, which is why he got her water tested there since we were out of test strips. But her lathargia wasn't that bad if I'm gonna be honest with you I'm not quite sure why he would make the decision to put the dose directly into her tank, we have since cleaned all the debris left inside the tank

Top Bottom