Betta Fish And Platys?

1. TheSempleton Initiate Member

I am moving my cories to a larger tank and would like to get some new friends for my betta. I would really like to get platys but if they aren't a good match, what fish would be good? Thanks
  2. Aster Well Known Member Member

What size tank?

Keeping bettas with other fish is always risky. You could try inverts like snails and shrimp.

3. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank? I wouldn't keep bettas with any fish under 20 gallons, it's too risky to do that.
  4. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Bettas truly prefer being alone in their tank. Some bettas do tolerate a community, but it needs to be well thought out. Larger tank, plenty of soft plants and decor for hiding, gentle current, ideal temperature...

Bettas seem to do best in their own aquarium 5-10 gallons, larger is usually fine.

5. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Size of tank? Betta's temperment? Tail type? Male or female?

As the others have said, 20 gallons or more work best for betta communities.

I have an extremely docile female that does well with my platy, but she's more of the exception than the norm. Platys are pretty colorful and that can evoke a reaction.
    Have a backup plan if it doesn't work.

image.jpg image.jpg
  6. TheSempleton Initiate Member

Well I was hoping to get platys but I guess I will just wait until I can buy another tank. Thank you all very much do your answers and advice.
  7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank though?
    I would just suggest some shrimp or snails.

8. TheSempleton Initiate Member

The tank is five gallons
  9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, just stick with shrimp and snails.
  10. TheSempleton Initiate Member

Okay I will thanks

11. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Re: shrimp - I would stay away from colorful shrimp like cherries that would attract your betta's attention. Ghost shrimp would be your safest bet.
  12. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

13. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Cherry shrimp should be OK with a betta as long as there is sufficient cover for them to hide.