Betta fish age estimate?

Lucas35

I have a Betta (named Neptune) that I'm having trouble determining the age of. He is a rescue that originally was owned by family of a friend (he was kept in about a gallon with no heater or filter as well as water changes only every few months). Bettas are about 5-6 months old when at stores, they had him about 4 months my friend thought, and I've had him since September 25. So he should be about a year to a year and a month old. It doesn't seem like it though. His fins are bent and curled at the tips, you can see the broken rays, and he isn't very active unless I'm around or he's building a bubble nest (he is in a heated and filtered 10g with plenty of things to do). This tells me he is probably older than that. Any guesses?
IMG_7119.jpg
IMG_7105.jpg

Kribensis27

That age seems about right. When kept in those conditions, I’m shocked he doesn’t look worse. That might have some lasting effects on lifespan. My rescue that I got with severe swim bladder disorder only lived another year after I saved him. He was much like this, minus the fin damage. He wasn’t very active and slept a lot. Just keep this guy healthy, and he could live a while longer.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I have a Betta (named Neptune) that I'm having trouble determining the age of. He is a rescue that originally was owned by family of a friend (he was kept in about a gallon with no heater or filter as well as water changes only every few months). Bettas are about 5-6 months old when at stores, they had him about 4 months my friend thought, and I've had him since September 25. So he should be about a year to a year and a month old. It doesn't seem like it though. His fins are bent and curled at the tips, you can see the broken rays, and he isn't very active unless I'm around or he's building a bubble nest (he is in a heated and filtered 10g with plenty of things to do). This tells me he is probably older than that. Any guesses?
The age you stated sounds right. His past living conditions probably aged him and took at least a one if not more years off his life. Just give him the best conditions possible and he will live to him fullest.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I agree with the rest, your guess sound about right.

Tip: A older betta has black spots on its body which are broken rays and its fins are more wrinkly and not as vibrant.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
plantgirl04
  • Question
Replies
Views
leolee
  • Question
Replies
Views