Betta fish acting weird

RebeccaWinkler

Hi, I have an 8 gallon (30l) tank with a single Male betta fish and a few snails in it. I went away on holiday for about six days leaving my sister to feed the fish. My betta seems to be different. I don’t know if it’s just my imagination but he seems less lively than before and his appetite isn’t as good. He was always a greedy fish and would eat and eat but since I came home he’s been trying to eat but has spat a few out and ignored them not like him at all. Today I noticed a white stringing thing hanging from his bum. I don’t know if this is just his poo or something to be worried about. He still seems happy enough and is swimming okay he just doesn’t seem himself if that makes sense. Any help would be helpful, I’m probably worried for no reason but better to check thanks :)

Attachments

Best Answer - View Salem's answer

Salem

Well Known
He may be feeling a bit constipated if she overfed. The white string sounds like poop. You may want to fast him for a day or two if hes not super interested in the food.
There could also potentially be something in the water like a small ammonia spike- maybe try testing it and doing a water change?

OP
R

RebeccaWinkler

Salem said:
He may be feeling a bit constipated if she overfed. The white string sounds like poop. You may want to fast him for a day or two if hes not super interested in the food.
There could also potentially be something in the water like a small ammonia spike- maybe try testing it and doing a water change?
Yeah that would make sense. I’ve done a water change and I’ll keep an eye on things. Thank you i was just worried it was a worm or a parasite or something