Betta Fins Shredded - I Don't Know What Happened

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Brinnneyy29, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Brinnneyy29

Brinnneyy29New MemberMember

I swear it's the like the universe just doesnt want me to have a betta. This morning my black betta was all glorious and perfectly beautiful. I came home after work and his fins are shredded. I dont know if it was because of the filter (which is supposed to be a betta filter) or if he has fin rot. I've never had to deal with fin rot so I dont know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. hanra85

hanra85Valued MemberMember

I'd do a water change, more often than not, fin issues come down to water quality. If there's no other fish in there with him that's the most likely bet.
    And just assuming from the opening line, you've been having a bit of bad luck with Bettas, could you give a little info on the setup... size of tank, type of filter, how long it's been running, and do you have a test kit, if so have you checked your water parameters?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  3. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

If that amount of his fins disappeared after several hours, then it's not fin rot. Fin rot shouldn't make that amount of fins gone in a short time.

It looks finely shredded so if you don't have a cover for the intake of the filter, then that's what most likely caused him to be that way. Cover the intake with a pantyhose rubber banded to it or buy a filter cover.

Keep the water clean to prevent infections. Adding Indian almond leaves or Stressguard can have therapeutic and antiseptic properties to promote the healing process.

4. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure that it's the filter that is causing ripped fins? Another possibility is that your betta may be biting it, similar to how people bite their fingernails. Either way, I agree with the other posters. Keep the water clean and the fins will naturally heal.

5. OP
    OP
    Brinnneyy29

It's a 2 gallon bettaflo tank and the water is always at 78°F. My first betta was a Walmart betta that I brought back from the dead but was later squashed by my little brithwhen he tried to clean the tank while I was away (he was 7 at the time). The next betta was a leucistic that I got from work and I went into it knowing that he was from a bad batch (we ended up switching breeders because he was a mess) and that one died within a day of me bringing him home. The 3rd is one that I adopted because he had swimming bladder issue that we couldnt treat in the store(I have another thread brainstorming ideas for what's wrong with him). And now I've had this guy since Sunday and this is what I came home to. I'm going to get the water tested again tomorrow but as of last week the parameters were fine. I had the "bloated betta" in there but I moved him out for now because one of my friends is gonna try and figure out what's wrong with him

I have Indian almond leaves in there rn but I'm gonna swap them out in the morning. I always treat the water with stress coat but do you think it would be overkill to use bettafix too? I dont want to put too much on his system if it is bacterial. he really was perfectly fine before I left for work this afternoon and I'm not sure how fast acting fin rot is or how to treat for it.

How do I stop the fin biting? I'm assuming it's a boredom thing but I dont know how I could increase his stimulation

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2019
  6. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I don't recommend using medications. It may do more harm than good. Water changes will be your best friend.

Changing the decorations or replace your filter with a sponge filter.

7. OP
    OP
    Brinnneyy29

Ok good to know! I'm so frustrated because I caught him by the intake and I thought he got stuck but he swam away just fine and then I cam home to this. I'm gonna force my manager to take back the tank because hes the one that suggested it for me but I've been having so much problems with the pump and stuff. If you could direct me to some good threads about better setups or show me what you have for your betta I'd greatly appreciate it.

I should probably mention that the filter is built in to the back of the tank. It's supposed to be made for bettas and as it was I had the flow set really low because my other betta couldnt swim against it. I was planning in adding more plants and decorations so I'm glad to know that may help

Also how long do you guys think it will take to heal? With all the nonsense I went through with my first Walmart betta I never had to deal with fin rot or his fins getting stredded so I'm a little uneducated in this area.

8. hanra85

2 gallon tanks are pretty unforgiving as far as water quality goes, things can happen quick in tanks that size. I would do daily water changes of 50% until it's better to make sure conditions are optimal for healing...

9. OP
    OP
    Brinnneyy29

Yeah which was my fear about getting a tank THAT small. 50% water changes wouldnt mess with the established cycle of the tank will it? I just never had to do that intense of a water change before.

10. hanra85

Nope, should be fine.
    It's a shame when stores sell these "entry level systems" because they're actually more suited for the more experienced fishkeepers, yet the more experienced keepers tend to skip those systems anyway. They just shouldn't make them. It depends how much space you want to set aside, personally I wouldn't go less than a 5 gallon, preferably a 10 if possible. They're still relatively cheap and don't take up a very large area but it'll give your boy far more room to swim around and more options for adding decorations to interact with and personalize.

11. Orion1066

Orion1066Valued MemberMember

I worry about my Betta's fins all the time, and I check them often. I have been keeping an eye on my filter intake tube grid all the time. I have noticed that he sometimes come to rest under the grid, and his fins are right up against the grid. The low intake rate does not seem to affect his tail fin (he is a veil tail) and so far there is no damage to the thin, fin membrane. In looking around the threads on this topic, it looks like many people are experiencing the same symptoms of shredded, or ripped fins.

12. OP
    OP
    Brinnneyy29

Honestly I should have gone with a 5 gallon and just modified the filter with a sponge. What are your thought on the marineland portrait because I have that one just sitting in my basement right now. Or should I go for a long tank?

13. Orion1066

I am not familiar with the MarineLand Portrait tank, and I believe it is bigger? I have always liked the "Long" version of any size tank. When I was younger I went from a 10 gallon standard tank, to a twenty gallon long. The "landscape" view was good for seeing how different fish swim in selective parts of the water zones. Zebras and tetras (6 to 8 of each) school, and they do better going all the way from side to side, in the mid-range of the tank. They capture your attention. I liked that. Cory Cats (5 or 6 of them) also school, but on the bottom. They also enjoy having more room to swim about in a long tank. They are even known to in formation on the bottom. With a 20 gallon long, you would also be able to keep a few angelfish, sword tails and/or mollies.

14. OP
    OP
    Brinnneyy29

The Marineland portrait is a 5 gallon tall tank. I feel like hes not gonna use the bottom half of the tank a lot but at the same time I dont think he swims around a lot anyways because his tail is so flowy.

Do you have a bettaflo tank too?

15. Orion1066

You know, Brinnneyy, I have an Aqueon Mini-Bow desktop display tank. It holds 2.5 gallons of water. At first, I looked at the Mini-Bow 1 gallon. I knew that would be way too small, so, the 2.5 was a step up. It was, but only in a small way. I have one Betta, one plastic plant, 3 stacked tubes for Perry to hide in, some miramo moss balls, a submersible filter, and a submersible heater. As I write this, I realized this is was to small. Looking at the set up I have, it definitely looks cramped now. I guess I need a bigger tank. <sigh>

16. hanra85

It's really up to your personal preference, as they indeed seem to putter more than they do swim. But at the very least, volume of water being upgraded to 5g compared to 2g, you'd be far more stable in that respect, 10g would be even better and is usually sold as kits for cheaper since they're more of a standard size, but maybe it's not your style of tank and in that case the 5g would still be good though and should be what stores recommend as a legitimate minimum. Just keep in mind the smaller the tank the quicker it pollutes, equals more maintenance more often.

17. OP
    OP
    Brinnneyy29

Lol you just did what I did luckily I didnt need the heater because we keep my house so hot (gonna need it for the 5 gal cuz it's more water).

My only issue with the 10 gal is I dont exactly have the space for that in my room and I also just have my marineland sitting in the basement.

18. hanra85

Yep, that's fine, 5 gallon is a fair size for a Betta. The filter and probably decorations in the current setup are cycled you say, make sure to use that media and substrate and whatever doesn't need to go back with the 2 gallon if you're able to return it in the new 5 gallon to seed it, even if the filter cartridge doesn't fit the filter just having it in there somewhere with water flowing around it will expediate the cycle until it colonizes the new one...

19. Orion1066

Well, that looks like more that we share about this Betta experience. I definitely need the heater. In fact, if I were to go to a bigger tank, I am going to need to bump up my heater. Have you seen the Fluval SPEC V Aquarium kit? It is only 5 gallons, but it has been designed to keep the filter components, along with a heater, in a special compartment on the side. The filter outflow can be adjusted/modified to minimize the amount of water that might intefere with a Betta. They do not like current in the water. It is out of the way of most of the tank. There is a larger lid and LED lighting system. Just one more thing to put on my wishlist.

20. hanra85

The fluval flex is nice as well, I actually have the 15g. They make a 9g as well, they're surprisingly great little setups for plants too... I've had mine setup for over a year now (actually nearly two, time flys), it's basically a jungle lol. Filtration is like a built in sump style in the rear of the tank 20190117012707.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019