Betta Fins: Rot? Tail Biting?

Elisko

I'm posting a picture of my little dude, Rex. A few weeks ago, I had posted about fin curling - and while his fins are still curled, they seem fine in that regard. However, last night I noticed that his lower fin looks a little chewed up. He also has a little scraggly piece on his dorsal fin, and a slight rip in his tail fin (those last two were nearly impossible to get a picture of, but you can see the bottom fin in the picture I do have). He is a little bit of a nut, so I'm not sure if he somehow did this to himself - I've never seen him bite his fins, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

I put Seachem Stressguard in last night. His water tested per the usual a couple days ago, no spikes in ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, which is why fin rot confuses me. I have been fighting with hair algae, I don't know if that would stress him out?

I am planning on doing a large water change tonight, and maybe adding salt in. If you have any thoughts, or ways of differentiating fin rot vs. tail biting, or any treatment options, I'm all ears. He seems healthy and normal otherwise, I just worry.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMAG2892.jpg
    IMAG2892.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 73

CanadianFishFan

Looks like he bit the dorsal fin but it also could be fin melt or fin rot

Elisko

Thank you! I put some salt in his tank last night, so hopefully that helps with the healing - whatever this is.

CanadianFishFan

Thank you! I put some salt in his tank last night, so hopefully that helps with the healing - whatever this is.
If it get worse then you will at least know what it is.

Elisko

Very true!

Elisko

Welp - I feel comfortable diagnosing it as fin rot at this point - his dorsal fin looks worse, but his other fins look the same at least. I put some bettafix in this morning, and I'm planning a 50% water change tonight with more bettafix after. Any other suggestions welcome :/

CanadianFishFan

Welp - I feel comfortable diagnosing it as fin rot at this point - his dorsal fin looks worse, but his other fins look the same at least. I put some bettafix in this morning, and I'm planning a 50% water change tonight with more bettafix after. Any other suggestions welcome :/
Hope it works

Kadi

I purchased Betta with sever fin nipping issue I dissolved salt water and cleaned the water every 24 hours.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
samuraikitty7
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Fishowner24
Replies
Views