Betta Fins Ripping

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Evanwd, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Evanwd

EvanwdValued MemberMember

[​IMG]

I don't understand why his fins rip like this, they rip right long tears. There isn't anything in the tank that I can think of that would rip them and the water small water changes every other day but come back after they've healed in same or different spots, or they never heal. Is it because of him being victim of over breeding making his fins weak. I don't understand

2. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

Sorry the picture is bad he swims a lot so that's the best picture I could get but you can see the hole

3. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

What are your water parameters like?
    What are you feeding him? If you feed him good quality food the recovery time and overall health of your fish will increase.
    Maybe the filter intake rips his fins?
    Fin rot is usually associated with bacterial/fungal infections. Why dont you try some methylene blue baths? They have no adverse effect on the fish and will destroy whatever bacteria/fungus your fish may have (if it has).
    The baths are made on a separate container, I usually do them in a bucket. They are done in a separate container because methylene blue stains everything blue and kills your beneficial bacteria (by the way, do you know about the nitrogen cycle).
    I would suggest the methylene blue baths, maybe one of 30-60 min every other day and daily 20%-30% water changes in the main tank for a week. That should discard any bacterial/fungal infections.
    If you still have problems after that then come back, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

4. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

Tank is cycled and water parameters are good I'll try to block the intake never thought of that and I'll look for the bacteria stuff

5. BeanFish

Dont block it, just put a sponge or filter floss over it. If you go with a sponge make sure it has a lot of pores so you dont diminish the flow too much.
    Methylene blue baths would be still helpful just to make sure the wounds dont get infected, make sure the water is clean and water parameters are good too, that alone should avoid bacterial infections, but methylene blue does not hurt at all, in fact it helps with oxygenation and I said it will just be extra safe, and maybe give you some peace of mind. :D
    " The properties of the drug as an oxygen transporter (it converts methemoglobin to the normal oxygen carrying component of fish blood, hemoglobin) allow it to be used in the treatment of known cyanide and nitrite poisoning of aquarium fishes. " -  !

Tell us how the "treatment" goes. Good luck with your fish!

6. S_Fish85New MemberMember

Could be decorations causing tears too. To cover the intake Fluval makes a pre filter sponge that works well.

7. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Yes, I agree. The intake may be your problem.You need to block the it. :)

8. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't add any sort of medications to your tank. Best way to heal torn fins is to just keep the water super clean. Frequent water changes.

Their fins are like tissue paper, and can tear on the smallest of things. Definitely the filter intake can cause it. What sort of filter do you have? @AllySaturn used one of those media bags and tied it around the bottom of her intake to prevent the fins from getting trapped in there. I thought that was a super smart idea. Didn't decrease the flow at all. I would remove any plastic plants, replace with silk. Any decorations that have pointed edges should come out too. I see you have a spongebob pineapple. That could be the culprit all on its own with the spikes points.

9. BeanFish

Methylene blue is not added into the main tank. And I can not think of a single side effect from methylene blue, it will just make sure nothing bad happens.

10. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

I have a whisper 2-10i

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stuffed the intake with the filter bag is this sufficient so it won't hurt his fins

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  11. BeanFish

It should help but your fish will be saffer if you manage to use a sponge or filter padding on it that way there is no chance his fins get stucked.
    It doesnt have to be fancy, I think you could even use some sort of clean cloth and wrap it around with a rubber band.

12. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

[​IMG]

It's getting worse...

13. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

It looks like fin rot to me, however I'm confused as to how that would occur in good water quality.

14. BeanFish

Methylene blue baths, go go it will destroy whatever is causing fin rot be bacteria or fungus. I KNEW IT! You can never go wrong with methylene blue :D
    I think your LFS should have methylene blue, I live in the middle of nowhere and my LFS had it.

15. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Lol are you a representative of the company? Just kidding. :emoji_sweat_smile:

16. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Did you block your filter intake yet?

17. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

Yes I filled the inside with filter pads.

18. BeanFish

LOL, maybe... You just grow to love Methylene blue haha.

19. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

He's had it since I got him in November it's just been a struggle to get rid of it, when I think it's gone and he's fins show signs of healing I comes back this time with vengeance...

20. BeanFish

OP, I would suggest you to block it "correctly", it should look like this:

That will make sure your betta is not tearing his fins with the filter. It will also add more surface for beneficial bacteria to grow.
    Again, I would suggest methyelene blue baths, it is not harmful to the fish and will destroy any bacteria/fungus which may be causing the fin problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice