Betta Fins Looking Bad

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, my betta, Eclipse, has been having some problems with his fins recently. I was doing daily water changes, thought it was fine, (But I was still seeing no new fin growth.) And I wake up today, HIS FINS ARE LIKE 10x WORSE!!!!!! I don’t know what to do!!!!! I don’t even know if it’s fin rot or not! (Sorry I’m kind of panicking) Here’s some tank info-

Tank size: 3.5 gallons
Cycled: Yes
Heated: Yes to a constant 78*F
Filtered: Yes
Tank Params: 0,0, About 10

Here’s some pics-
IMG_2222.JPG

^ I outlined where his fin is, the fin behind him is his top fin which is fine ^

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Attachments

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fancyfins said:
So, my betta, Eclipse, has been having some problems with his fins recently. I was doing daily water changes, thought it was fine, (But I was still seeing no new fin growth.) And I wake up today, HIS FINS ARE LIKE 10x WORSE!!!!!! I don’t know what to do!!!!! I don’t even know if it’s fin rot or not! (Sorry I’m kind of panicking) Here’s some tank info-

Tank size: 3.5 gallons
Cycled: Yes
Heated: Yes to a constant 78*F
Filtered: Yes
Tank Params: 0,0, About 10

Here’s some pics-
View attachment 441190
^ I outlined where his fin is, the fin behind him is his top fin which is fine ^

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!
Looks like a classic case of fin rot. Do you have a hospital tank or anything in his current tank that would be harmed by salt or meds (other fish, plants, inverts)

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have one Mystery Snail, and two plants, an anubias and a marimo. And I’ve posted about this before, almost everyone just said to do daily (or every other day) water changes. I did every other day ones at first, and then switched to daily.

Also, the pic where I outlined the top of his fin didn’t show up, I’ll post it here:
IMG_2232.jpg

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fancyfins said:
Also, the pic where I outlined the top of his fin didn’t show up, I’ll post it here: View attachment 441193
Sadly water changes aren’t enough to stop active fin rot, water changes only heal clean wounds. So how did this come about? Skip a water change? Did he come with it? Did it take a while for it to get this far?

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
Skye_marilyn said:
Sadly water changes aren’t enough to stop active fin rot, water changes only heal clean wounds. So how did this come about? Skip a water change? Did he come with it? Did it take a while for it to get this far?
I don’t really know. One day I woke up, went to go feed him, and the top part of his fin was shredded. I posted about this, now it’s been about two weeks (maybe three?) and this is what happens. I’m at work now, so I can’t really do anything until I get home. Also, this was him when I got him:
IMG_2092.JPG

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is he possibly nipping at his fins? Because when you say it got 10x worse over night, that doesn’t really seem like fin rot to me unless it’s really aggressive/progressive.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've seen fin rot move that quickly before....
I'd recommend using a medication at this point. Try a methylene blue bath (not in the main tank!!) Of 10 drops in 1/2 gallon for 30 minutes, dip him in another clean water container to get residue off then move him back to the main tank. You can also try he concentrated dip for 10 seconds, those instructions are on the bottle.
You could also try a dose of erythromycin, I know API has some.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rtessy said:
I've seen fin rot move that quickly before....
I'd recommend using a medication at this point. Try a methylene blue bath (not in the main tank!!) Of 10 drops in 1/2 gallon for 30 minutes, dip him in another clean water container to get residue off then move him back to the main tank. You can also try he concentrated dip for 10 seconds, those instructions are on the bottle.
You could also try a dose of erythromycin, I know API has some.
Erythromycin is a gram positive antibiotic not gram negative, and doesn’t treat fin rot..but I do recommend a bath.

This is a recipe I use and it is the first step to curing fin rot and even if it is fin nipping I am seeing an if faction so I’d follow through with one bath per day for 3-5 days then move to the next treatment.

1 gallon tank water
1 tsp salt
2x the average tank dose of methylene blue

Optional
Wonder shell fragments
An air stone

Use a breeder box to transfer him so he doesn’t get stressed being chased by the net and leave him in there for 20-30 minutes.

This bath doubles as a small water change so I find it very effective.

Try to add some seachem stressguard to the water after treatment to help rebuild parts of the slime coat that may have been damaged in the process of netting.

Fancyfins said:
Where would I get methylene blue? What would it be called? Could I pick it up at PetSmart or Petco?
I believe so, it in a grey bottle and made by Kordon, here is a pic of mine..
969b3d632a2fb6ca21a5e50eeb56ff5f.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Unfortunately I don't think you can get it at Petco or PetSmart, but you can get it from amazon.com if you have access, and it was $4.99 two weeks ago. You may have to go to a different website to find the erytheomycin, I know API makes some.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Jungle Fungus Clear stuff is supposed to work really good. It stains the water blue so probably contains the methylene blue. It's readily available at Walmart. The only problem is that it comes in a tablet form that is one tab per 10 gallons.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Skye_marilyn said:
Erythromycin is a gram positive antibiotic not gram negative, and doesn’t treat fin rot..but I do recommend a bath.

This is a recipe I use and it is the first step to curing fin rot and even if it is fin nipping I am seeing an if faction so I’d follow through with one bath per day for 3-5 days then move to the next treatment.

1 gallon tank water
1 tsp salt
2x the average tank dose of methylene blue

Optional
Wonder shell fragments
An air stone

Use a breeder box to transfer him so he doesn’t get stressed being chased by the net and leave him in there for 20-30 minutes.

This bath doubles as a small water change so I find it very effective.

Try to add some seachem stressguard to the water after treatment to help rebuild parts of the slime coat that may have been damaged in the process of netting.
If you can try to get some triple sulfa, or Maracyn plus, both are excellent at treating fin rot.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've read that Maracyn products aren't made any more. I guess that was wrong.

People have reported good luck with using Seachem's Kanaplex.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I really wouldn't recommend salt for a betta, they're not very salt tolerant. I agree with not recommending kanaplex, but that's just because it didn't work at all in my case. I'd try the m. blue first

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rtessy said:
I really wouldn't recommend salt for a betta, they're not very salt tolerant. I agree with not recommending kanaplex, but that's just because it didn't work at all in my case. I'd try the m. blue first
Bettas actually are not as salt intolerant as many think and scientifically there is not one species of freshwater fish that will suffer damage from under 30 minutes of exposure. I’ve done this on many of bettas no adverse affects, I think people get a little carried away sometimes when worrying about certain medications. Even loaches and corys can do this bath...

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skye_marilyn said:
I try not to recommend kanamycin too often as it is pretty strong and renders most meds useless going forward.
And for fin rot it works best with furan 2. But I wouldn’t use either unless the finrot had been treated with safer ways first.

Skye_marilyn said:
If you can try to get some triple sulfa, or Maracyn plus, both are excellent at treating fin rot.
Fancyfins, if it were me, I’d definitely try the mblue and get the triple sulfa or Maracyn plus as @Skye_marilyn suggests. These are things you’ll need to keep on hand anyway. And aquarium salt. Hopefully your betta will begin to heal and the stronger meds won’t be necessary. Keep us posted? Pease?

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
I will! Sorry I didn’t respond, I’ve been pretty busy. But, I had my mother visiting me, and I was telling her about my betta, and she said that is too late. And he’s acting very strangely now. He will stop moving, and just stay there, slowly drifting, and then he will go crazy, zooming all over the place, even bumping into decor and the walls. I don’t know if I want to treat him, he seems to really be going down hill. And I’m worried that the bath will push it even further. I don’t know what to do...

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m sorry you’re in this position. You can try to help him. The mblue and salt won’t hurt him. You could euthanize him humanely. But can you sit by and watch him suffer? I don’t think you can. You seem to care about this little guy. Give him a chance? Please?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom