Betta Fins Look Ragged

F1shman60

20190927_201029.jpg
Hi,I have had this betta a little over 2 weeks now and its fine looked ragged when I bought him. I am attaching a picture in Hope's yall can tell me what to do or if they look normal. He sometimes lays at the top of the water on his side. I have a cycled tank that has been set up for yrs now and all is fine with the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. Temp is 76. He is in there with 4 small corydoras and 1 cherry barb that is the last of many that I use to have. Nobody chases or nips at each other. I have made sure of that because it was a concern I had. The water gets a 50% wc weekly and a vacume. Plus this betta does NOT like pellets. He loves baby brine shrimp but I know that is not a balanced diet so he can't have that every day. I need to find something he likes to eat. Any suggestions for a balanced food for my guy?

SaltyPhone

Does he appear to have any issues swimming to the bottom of the tank? From the pics the fins don’t look inflamed so fin rot can be ruled out however it’s difficult to see his gills. Is this your first betta; do his gills look ok?

F1shman60

SaltyPhone said:
Does he appear to have any issues swimming to the bottom of the tank? From the pics the fins don’t look inflamed so fin rot can be ruled out however it’s difficult to see his gills. Is this your first betta; do his gills look ok?
No he swims all over the tank so no issues there. His gills look good to me as far as I can tell. And yes, this is my first betta. Thank you for your help.

chichi1296

As for the diet: my betta's were crazy about any kind of live feed. Besides brine shrimp, I always had a stock of mosquito larvae and tubifex.

However, it is my experience that cherry barbs do tend to nip at betta fins. You just might not be able to see it. It's not a combination I would try again myself. I hope his fins grow back well!

F1shman60

chichi1296 said:
As for the diet: my betta's were crazy about any kind of live feed. Besides brine shrimp, I always had a stock of mosquito larvae and tubifex.

However, it is my experience that cherry barbs do tend to nip at betta fins. You just might not be able to see it. It's not a combination I would try again myself. I hope his fins grow back well!
Thanks for your reply. Where do I find live feed at such as mosquito larvae and tubifex?? And being the live feed is so small such as baby brine shrimp and other live feed, how do you know not to over feed with such?? Its hard for me to judge unlike giving a pellet. Do you feed your betta just once daily? I feed just once daily and I have skipped a feeding here and there.

Truckjohn

From the pic - it looks more like fin nipping or damage than fin rot.

Some bettas with long flowy fins can get a little crazy and self-bite their fins when introduced to a nice big tank. They can also have trouble in a real tank as their fins hang and catch on stuff....

I would watch it though as fin rot can spread FAST... It can go from one weird looking spot to all fins half gone in a day.....

Have a quarantine tank available so you can treat it with an antifungal if required.

F1shman60

Truckjohn said:
From the pic - it looks more like fin nipping or damage than fin rot.

Some bettas with long flowy fins can get a little crazy and self-bite their fins when introduced to a nice big tank. They can also have trouble in a real tank as their fins hang and catch on stuff....

I would watch it though as fin rot can spread FAST... It can go from one weird looking spot to all fins half gone in a day.....

Have a quarantine tank available so you can treat it with an antifungal if required.
Thank you for your reply. He was like this when I bought him. Was just wondering what to do and what it may be.

SaltyPhone

I think he’ll be fine if there’s no signs of inflammation around the damaged fins it’s not fin rot or recent nipping. Bettas are definitely one of my favorite fish so much personality in a small package!

F1shman60

SaltyPhone said:
I think he’ll be fine if there’s no signs of inflammation around the damaged fins it’s not fin rot or recent nipping. Bettas are definitely one of my favorite fish so much personality in a small package!
Thank you

Top Bottom